To the people who are anti #pulltheripcord

Limit does not equal punish. If you play a mage, you cannot use a fist weapon; is that punishment? No.

Quit being melodramatic.

And let’s be real here: none of the complaints are about players wanting a specific style of gameplay; it is about players wanting to be optimum in all content for that leg up and not being able to.

Shadowlands is going to expose a lot of bad players and they are having fits over it.

3 Likes

Perfect, something for everyone. That’s ideal.

I do try to be logical and level headed. Sometimes if I perceive a response as fluff or illogical with no reasoning I’m like “really? really with this?” so it comes across as very abrasive.

I just want wow to be the best and most fun game it can be.

That’s on you though. Only you can change your feelings. If being committed to one. (or just preferring to play one) is what you want, stick by it.

1 Like

A mage is a permanent class. These covenants are temporary systems that will be gone at the end of Shadowlands. Your mage won’t be gone. Even choosing a covenant doesn’t have any impact on the story. It’s literally a restriction for the sake of a restriction.

And? Why do you have a problem with people wanting to play optimally?

Shadowlands will expose another borrowed power system for what it is. A temporary borrowed power system that they’ll spend all expansion tweaking then at 9.3 open it up and say “see we listened!”

2 Likes

Well lucky for us the differences in abilities will be a percent or two, so it would really matter. Right?

/S in case it wasn’t clear

1 Like

You missed the point.

The obligation that I must swap will be there, if I can freely swap. We already see that with talents. You can swap talents effortlessly, so beyond LFD/LFR there is an obligation for players to pick talents that are optimal for a given fight or a given type of content. If a boss has a lot of trash? You’re expected to swap to AoE talents so you can contribute more. If it’s a single target boss? Then you’re expected to swap to talents that maximize single target damage etc.

If covenants become free swaps, that will happen to them as well. Take warriors for example, they will be expected to swap to Venthyr for single target fights, Night Fae for AoE fights and Kyrian for PvP battles due to the utility the warrior ability offers.

It will be the same with other classes.

Without free swapping, while there will still be those who push players to swap, that will mainly be demanded by folks who are pushing high M+ keys and mythic raiding. It will be far rarer in other forms of content.

1 Like

Competitive motivation is a driving factor for many people. It won’t be taken away. Being given the choice to choose freely means people can do what ever they want. If they want to stay with their covenant for RP great if they want to swap for better dps or healing great. It’s a choice. Even in classic people had the choice to spend gold to change their talents. It’s not like they were forced to play a certain way.

1 Like

And it’s being very misused by people who are raging about it before even playing with it.

He was pretty clear about the ripcord being something they MIGHT pull after launch, not before it’s even been tried.

That means for some people the obligation to swap won’t change. You even said that some will be expected to swap even with current covenants. People will be doing it. End of the day if you don’t want to swap you don’t have to. But limiting people doesn’t solve anything either.

2 Likes

Remove covenant abilities and conduits, there, problem solved, your covenant is purely a RP choice, no player power whatsoever messed up with.

Also, i think there is this line of thought, that RP is separate from gameplay, where i think the whole point of a RPG is that the gameplay systems affect RP in a way or another. I’m not making a case for anything here, just saying.

1 Like

There’s tons of groups and guilds that will never ask you to do that. Now if you choose to to bring your best to each encounter, that’s a choice you’re making because you prefer power to RP.

1 Like

RPG is being immersed into the game and the world itself. Your actions effect the game. Covenant abilities does not actually change anything in the game. And you’re right RP can also be part of the game. But I also have raided in the guild where the tank refused to fix their shield because it went against their characters values as someone who just rushes into a fight head first.

1 Like

So why was his post flagged? I dont see anything wrong with free speech that didn’t harm anyone not too mention it didnt seem offensive?

It’s talking about covenants beware of opinions! /s

1 Like

Another solution here would be a short cooldown on swapping like a few hours or a day.

1 Like

Flagging is the new downvoting

1 Like

Could also tie resources to the swap. Grind something out. Since blizzard loves grinds

Thats just wrong. Might as well flag Ghandi.

1 Like

NopleaseGodno. Gif