To people thinking LFG addon will not be banned

you know what, never mind,lol

It has an extreme un-vanilla like bearing. LFG was not introduced days before vanilla servers opened. People back then engaged in group finding using the ways available, which led to so much organic community building and social success that LFG add-ons introduced later were enormous flops.

If you think it is the same thing to bombard next weeks young servers with the pressure of adopting LFG you have not thought this through well enough. Thankfully, blizzard has.

Just on topic here - Blizzard does have the ability to ban addons without needing to make Lua changes. They used this functionality in the past and is still in game AFAIK.

Also yes I’ve seen the post about them making changes in the Lua API yet specifically what’s going to be changed hasn’t been stated yet. They could either do it a neat scalpel way only affecting a small number of addons. or they could do the romper stomper shotgun method and take away all addons abilities to send addon messages which would be a disaster.

1 Like

Do you recall what addons have been outrighted banned in the past? AVR?

Nope. Gear Score.

There was a build of gear score that was mistakenly pushed out with Lua changes that caused widespread issues for players across realms.

AVR they just said they will break it and immediately pushed out a build update IIRC

1 Like

Oh so changing the API so that an addon won’t work or has to be changed to work isn’t considered banning, or is it? I hate using wrong terms, so I want to be sure here.

When an addon loads it has a flag that denotes if a particular addon is banned. Banned addons will not load at all so if it is properly banned a player won’t even be able to load it in game. Literally none of that addon’s code will load.

Changing the API breaks an addon. Then again Blizzard very rarely post about an addon they prefer people to not use so you could technically say the the addon is blacklisted as it’s an addon Blizzard really prefers you not to use.

2 Likes

In my opinion, the current Dungeon Finder is too powerful. It creates a identical group for the dungeon conquering, and teleports the members to the entrance. It is too miraculous for the game world, so it reduces the reality of the game. In the other hand (as you know,) LFG chat is too powerless to create a group. it takes much time and spam LFG message is nuisance.
I thought more simple tool is needed for creating a group, such as just queueing for a specific dungeon, and making a conversation among them to choose members.
I don’t use the ClassicLFG yet, but it looks like a better tool than the Dungeon Finder and just LFG in chat channel. So I feel just disabling the ClassicLFG is a bad idea, and more constructive choice is needed.

In addition, nowadays LFG channel doesn’t work properly because of meaningless messages like “Trump is ***”, “Obama is ***”, bla bla bla…
Serious messages pass away so soon, and junk messages fill the window. I wonder LFG channel works fine in classic?

Not a chance it will be any better, people will either turn to discord, a third party site, or most like the only change to the addon will be disabling the auto invite which was going to happen anyway.

It wont be banned. Restricted (probsbly with posting groups, auto invite). Bit it will still function

you guys do know that guilds actually serve this purpose in Classic right?

Changing the subject? People ran groups with random people from trade or LFG chat back in vanilla. All this addon does is Organize it it a neater window that doesn’t scroll by at 20 lines per second. You still talk to people, you still manually invite them, they are the same people from the existing chat channels.

lol wrong again

Everything Ghyslain said checks out

Guilds. If you didn’t play then, you don’t know. Just let it form organically instead of trying to force it. There’s a REASON why this is so popular. It’s not because of people who didn’t play it, I assure you.

So nobody should use LFG chat because guilds exist? Is that your point? Also I haven’t played much since Wotlk, and most of my play time is from Vanilla/BC so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

Guilds were where groups were formed. If you think PUGs ran Scholo then I highly doubt you played Vanilla. By the end, you didn’t even see ANYone using LFG at all. It was mainly political talk and nonsense. -Because no one used it for groups, of any kind. If you aren’t in a guild by level 40, then I think you have some kind of malfunction in the game and outside it.

Suffice to say, an LFG functioning addon will prevent and circumvent players seeking guilds and proper social interaction. Which will destroy Classic completely. THIS is what people are talking about.

I think their idea on social networks within the game being bad is very correct and those things go against the spirit of what they are trying to do with Classic WoW. They’re not charging anyone a fee to play WoW Classic so in essence these are just different rule-set servers with the rules they want in place.

You clearly didn’t play on a high pop server. People were doing pugs for AQ40 on sargeras way before BC launched.