Timers added to Torghast

Yes I agree with this. They gimp healers, and tanks to some extent, though I’m sure many healers would love the interrupts a tank brings. But consistently doing fractions of the dps even a poorly geared dps class brings…it’s really disheartening. Then you see the dps time to get in a dungeon is 20 minutes, and wonder why they don’t want to make healers and tanks more viable in the rest of the game. If I have to play ret for 120 levels to level up, and I have to play ret for world quests, visions, etc etc…is it any wonder I’m not playing Holy?

5 Likes

Imagine that. Almost like you didn’t read what I said, and decided jumping on the wrong part of what I said would somehow help you.

(Edit)
Oh, and no. I don’t think I will.

Apparently not, given all the whining that has been pushed by the playerbase about them.

Spin what? There is no hard timer that says “sorry bub, you’ve been in here too long, time to go”. The ticking damage debuff is as close as it gets, otherwise the rest of the debuffs act as a sort of soft enrage.

Don’t like it? Don’t do floors above 10 (or whatever new base they raise it to).

1 Like

Or, I dunno, maybe Blizzard could keep to their word and not add any kind of timer at all. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? This is what they marketed as, this is how everyone in the Alpha is enjoying it. These things are annoyances and make the runs A LOT less fun.

It’s clear you aren’t in the Alpha are just arguing to argue to shill every ignorant change Blizzard creates when it comes to just lazy development.

There is already plenty of timed content in WoW. The death count is PLENTY for Torg. Only thing they would have to do is tune the amount of powers you get or even the power of them. Using cooldowns as an excuse is a red herring.

8 Likes

The thread that stated there are no timers is being deceitful. The moment you start a floor you are put on a timer which over time has a bunch of negative effects. The longer you take, the harder everything becomes.

5 Likes

Seems so strange Blizzard added this. People were loving the feature and everything was looking great. They had a bunch of cool slow pacing philosophies while making it which is a huge reason why it was so successful.

2 Likes

Soft enrage mechanic only exists above floor 10. There is no actual “timer” that kicks you out if you spend a certain amount of time inside.

“You’re just a shill, no way you have any reasonable frame of experience for what you’re talking about”

:roll_eyes:

Please. Not only do I have the frame of experience for it, but I am pretty much the opposite of a shill. Read my post history. This expansion as a whole has been a dumpster fire, and I’m not so sure Shadowlands is gonna make it better for the majority of the content I do, but I’m looking forward to Torghast. Been following its development since announcement, feels like exactly the kind of content I’ve been waiting to see. Whether it and the rest of the content will be enough to keep me depends on a lot of factors; I actively play FFXIV and FFXIV becomes more and more enticing as time goes on.

There’s no actual timer in Torghast.

It’s called difficulty scaling. That the difficulty ramps over time is more a question of design than anything else, but I’m glad to see this change. It encourages you to look around for things that are useful to you without straight up dawdling about. Plenty of content that requires 0 attention, why should the section of the tower only designed as additional challenge for cosmetics be toned down? I don’t see why. Torments are not a hard timer, they just increase difficulty and force you to make choices about what you’re doing.

1 Like

So it ramps up over time but it’s not a timer? Makes sence.

5 Likes

A SIMPLE FIX:
Blizz should add a “Time Lock” (Temporal Disruption from Chromie, perhaps?) button that effectively pauses everything; torment stacks, cooldowns, movement, everything.

That allows for IRL emergency breaks AND prevents classes with hard CC from having a massive mid-floor advantage (since they could theoretically wait for big CD’s to become available by staying in combat during certain torments while other classes can’t do that).

GRIEF-PREVENTION:
In Solo runs, this button would work immediately on a cooldown of 1-5 minutes. For group runs, it could work like Party Sync does where each party member would have to approve or decline the pause. If anyone declines the pause, the button would go on a 10 second cooldown so as not to be spammable. The notification should be small and appear on the left side of the screen so as not to be a UI nuisance for people attempting to use it constantly for trolling purposes.

FEEDBACK AND DESIGN:
I actually really like the philosophy behind the soft-timer addition, because it partially solves a couple balance and gameplay problems. However, the current implementation—while very creative and not overly punishing—has a few chinks in its armor (such as the “stay in-combat to wait out cooldowns” flaw, not being able to leave for family emergencies or bathroom breaks in the middle of a floor, and punishing players for internet disconnection problems that are out of their control).

I think a good balance would be to have BOTH of these systems in place to some degree. The soft-timer would still do its job of preventing Bloodlust/Timewarp/Drums/Army of the Dead/Divine Shield being available for each pull, while the “Time Lock” would fix ALL non-exploit/creative use of game mechanics problems that arise due to us being humans with lives outside of the game.

Or they could just not add a timer like they advertised.

10 Likes

Yup. Love how people are saying “Can’t please you guys ever!!” when its as simple as this.

The people defending the timer are the people who defend Blizzard no matter what, so lets remove the timer, and most of us will be happy with Blizzard minus a small percentile who I do agree will complain about anything.

7 Likes

It’s not a timer. It’s a soft enrage. That it operates on intervals is more a question of how the intended design is implemented, but it’s not overbearing unless you’re hilariously slow or truly being challenged by the floor you’re on, which is good design.

Guess it’s a good thing there’s no actual timer, huh?

1 Like

I do not expect the timer to go away.

So a tower that is meant for exploration that you can’t explore because of a “soft enrage” that has nothing to do with time. Just another race to the end, mythic+ 2.0

9 Likes

You know when everyone says it’s a timer they are referring to the torment system why are you so triggered when people call it a timer when the OP is calling it that? There’s no point in spamming to everyone “not a timer” when their point is the same regardless of what it’s called.

1 Like

They can call it what they want, dress it up but it’s a timer. Even WoWhead describes it as a timer.

A timer that incentivizes speed. Exactly what everyone it talking about A timer making it a race instead of exploring. Mythic+2.0

6 Likes

Yea I think people who keep saying “it’s not a timer” just want to fight over anything it doesn’t magically make the torment disappear if it’s called a different name.

1 Like

Well damn, I was looking forward to sitting in stealth by myself, putting poisons on my daggers(only weapon I can use as assassination) and waiting for my bloodlust cooldown to reset

“It’s not a timer!”

“It’s just a building significant penalty making success unlikely based on time!”

1 Like

Rouge-likes? Yeah, love those.

Weird thing, I’ve NEVER played one with a timer, in all the years I’ve played games, so it came as a shock to me when I heard people say that rogue-likes always had timers in them.

5 Likes

The only one that comes to mind atm is Risk of Rain. The intensity ramps up every 5 minutes your run goes, but there’s only 7(?) Stages total so your runs never really go long enough to worry about it. It’s been a while since I played so it’s a bit fuzzy.

Yeah, “timers” is a recent invention in rogue-likes. Makes me laugh when I see people say that they’ve always existed in them. I have a slew of games in my Steam library that are rogue-likes w/o timers.

3 Likes