TIL I can never get Slime Cat Mount

I know that you’re not going to get many people to agree with this.

People don’t have to agree. I don’t care if they do agree or don’t.

And as usual you deflect when proven wrong.

Right or wrong, good or bad there will always be room to doubt whenever you comment.

Oh-kay
Explain how a completely average day at a café constitutes as “scarcity” in that case, no special advertisements, nothing special about it at all, just a completely average and unremarkable day with zero things done that day for a small cornerstore café

Really? You sure about that?
Do you have any evidence to back it up?
Doesn’t the very real and predictable reaction to it on social media indicate that it had no such effect? Or are we talking in-game where people did raids as normal for normal rewards that exist normally in the game?

I will say this again:
FOMO is real, but not the way its used on these forums and not for the buzzword ya’ll are attempting to use it as

Maybe someday it will appear in BMAH or be a twitch drop.

Le sigh…. I voted for the book mount, as well.

It makes me so sad. I have to do the Mage Tower a lot to get that darn book. I thought I was done with the Mage Tower in Legion.

The worst thing is just want that book mount. Not the other new Mage Tower rewards.

I wish they would have just put the book mount on the trading post QQ, or a twitch drop, or something easy. It was a reject in a poll anyway, don’t make me do the mage tower for it.

1 Like

Yes! This is a wonderful idea.

More kitties! All the time! Yay!

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s the rub there. As an old school gamer I’ve found that the new Discord paradigm is frankly a pain in the rear.

Used to be there were viable options for a lot more different kinds of player. Now you feel like your arm is twisted to join the global hivemind, because that’s what the large Discord moderators enforce (and I have a strong impression this is heavily influenced by what Discord demands of community administrators and mods compared to the platforms that came before, which results in a heavy leaning towards specific types of players taking the helm even more than ever). How can groups keep any individual identity anymore if they mostly can only recruit through the same, hyper-moderated centralized water coolers?

You’ll get told that more niche or laid back communities exist, but this is largely hopium spread by the mainstream to get your criticism off their backs, because for the most part, you can’t find them - they’re usually private (can you blame them with Discord’s TOS?) and since there’s nearly no useful searchability with Discord, the only way to even know where to look is if someone from the niche community is still toughing it out in the “main discord” or you were lucky to be around when it was forming (which was probably when the content was still trendy, which puts even more pressure on people to just give up, tune out their individual selves, just conformantly surf trends …). Of course, most of those people will leave the “main” discord once their private space is established enough for obvious reasons, which then leaves the “main” communities seeming even more intolerantly hiveminded …

Meanwhile, starting or finding a group without the aid of this dysfunctional chat platform is apparently nigh-on hopeless, as we both conclude.

And I’m not entirely sure what to do about that problem.

2 Likes

Fated raid was one of the best periods of WoW. People really enjoyed playing it. The raid community was in the highest spirits I had ever seen. When you listed a raid, you immediately had 100 applicants, even later in the patch. The day I unlocked slime cat, November first, was 2 months into the fated patch almost to the day. I did all 3 raids serially in one sitting, as raid lead of all 3, with all random pugs and everyone had a very nice time.

And it is sad, because I feel it was Blizzard mocking us. It was them saying, yes we know how to make a proper game, we’re just more interesting in the grift.

I mean it does for me. I had to suffer through shadowlands for the m+ ksm mount. Mindlessly grinding to 250 honor level for the courser.

it wasnt even the slime cat as advertised in the player choice

Yes, the facepalm gif is very cute

But it just proves that you don’t get what FOMO actually entails if you think these two quoted segments somehow contradict each other because hint; they don’t, mind you this is in context to what it was actually quoted from you but no, they don’t contradict each other

1 Like

no, the slime cat was expressly designed as a limited time reward for people who completed all raids in shadowlands season 4. it is a mount that required players to do in-game content during the season.

it is impossible to recreate that challenge today as talents and scaling have changed how classes work, so the slime cat needs to stay removed.

1 Like

To be honest, I completely forgot about it.

About 10 minutes after they announced it.

I agree. FOMO is actual real and there are various degrees of abuse and suffering an user can experience.

Within video games, FOMO is also used to describe the similar anxiety around missing the ability to obtain in-game items or complete activities that are only available for a limited time, such as those in battle passes. This is particularly common for multiplayer video games, where such items are cosmetic in nature but reflect a player’s skill to other players in the game and can become a sign of social standing within the game’s community; wherein failure to acquire a limited cosmetic item may lead to social outcasting.[42][43][44]

In other words, Blizzard actually contributes in people getting mental issues (as stupid as it sounds) by exploiting them into doing things they wouldn’t usually do. The problem lies within the product itself, where a classic experience is polluted by abusive marketing tactics. That’s why FOMO needs to be reduced to a bigger degree.

Rides up on the slimecat mount

Hey guys, what’s this conversation about?

1 Like

It’s crazy how many people complain about seasonal “FOMO” yet decide to pay for and play a game specifically designed around seasonal rewards.

Stop playing and there’s nothing to miss out on. Because this stuff you’re scared of missing out on is worthless outside the game.

The fact we got that stupid tree instead of an adorable jelly cat mount makes me a sad pandaren :frowning:

That’s the full quote and again, and again, I will point this out and I have done so by highlighting the points:
Again, social pressure caused by other people OR one’s own feeling of not feeling included in a group of people

Objects don’t cause FOMO, as FOMO is the pressure of societal and communal “belonging” to groups of people
Furthermore, the lingustical portion of it has some really interesting things pointing towards this even more so:

(Skipping out on the last one due to no citation so not even to Wikipedia’s degree of verification it is uncorroborated)

The entire list is all sociological and exists purely on a sociological level, and even the part where you quoted from Wikipedia AGAIN corroborates that it has entirely to do with other people’s pressure on you - not of the actual limited availability but how limited availability is used to pressure people
FOMO ONLY refers to sociological pressure onto others
The only thing one can argue for is the part where this can happen outside of multiplayer situations … which is what I already mentioned that we can cause this to ourselves as well

Limited availability is a test of self-control whether we get it or not; FOMO refers to the pressure of others - the thing that needs to be understood is that this “other” when referring to oneself has to do with psychology of deriving one’s own selfworth based on materialistic values commonplace in society’s normative values regarding materialism

(Which is why I summarise it as “social pressure of others” as it still convey the most relevant information, because this otherwise will fly over people’s head by a few miles)

2 Likes