Those with wawa stider

I’m not thrilled with the change, but I’ll adapt like I do with every change I don’t like.

Aside from the fact that I’m fully expecting to now have to deal with floating brontosauri?

Hopefully they never get it into their heads to add ‘balloons’ to this system, or it will get even worse.

The new system can be used fine without having to remove the water walking from the strider. Want water walking on your mount, you have a choice, use the strider or use the water walking token for the mount equipment system.

4 Likes

Easy solution: don’t take its water walking and instead make it like the skygolem and not benefit from equipment.

Best of both worlds there.

9 Likes

They are available to all who want to EARN it.

7 Likes

I think it does help me understand their design philosophy lately.
Class, mount or anything being unique is a bad thing, homogenization is the way to go.

1 Like

What is a “Wawa Stider”?

I think it shows how ignorant and weak minded people are to think they were ever “required” or “forced” to use something. It’s also wrong to remove something people worked for so that you can give it to those that didn’t. Just sets a bad precedent. Makes me wonder what’s next? What will they give away next and why should I grind for anything when they’ll just give it away eventually

6 Likes

I’d imagine it’s like the waterstrider but it instead sells hoagies at convenient store prices.

No one is forced to use it unless you want to take forever to get where you’re going. Of course, if they implemented flight, this whole situation would be moot.

Semper Fi! :us:

Blacksmiths can make the farming Barding by the way. the loot/farm while mounted.

The options suck why? Because in 8.2 we will be able to fly who cares about ground mount equipment.

If Blizz decided to do the same for the flying mount, there would also be an uproar on this too.

Those as it stands, will not work in the new zones as they state Kul Tiras and Zandalar at the moment.

Falling damage has never affected the water strider… just mob hits.

No one liked the water strider for the aesthetic. They only liked it for the passive.

I hate the water strider because I don’t see any of my characters using it. It’s not difficult to get the same effect with water walking potions or use Shaman or DK abilities to achieve the same effect.

Whoever wants the bug can still get the bug.

But now I can actually use mounts that I enjoy, like my Argent Hippogryph. I feel like I put just as much if not more work into getting that mount and I wasn’t about to grind out some butt-ugly insect mount that doesn’t fit my character’s “theme” because of some superficial feature.

More mounts need more passives. I’ve said that for years. Mounts and riding as a whole need a top-down overhaul the way pets got that allows for new gameplay, customization, and progression.

This is a start, and it’s a good one.

And you will still be able to do what you want. But the strider could still retain it’s unique feature if it kept the same as they are doing with the golem. It gives more choice, you can use it or use the equipment token for all of your other mounts.

2 Likes

No one is forced to use it. Players who act like they have no choice but to use the waterstrider are players who don’t want to pay the price for the sub-optimal choices they need to make to achieve the type of game they claim they would like. Heaven forbid one of them has to find a bridge and hoof it somewhere on a mount he likes instead of cutting across a lake on a mount he resents having to use.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, Crepe.
Next expansion we’ll be confronted by so many cliffs on our paths and so many dazing mobs you’ll be swapping equipment around like crazy - at a Blizzard estimate of 1000 gold each for the parachute and the anti-daze. And each time, because we love water walking, we’ll swap it back again, meaning we’ll have to spend another 1000 gold next time we want anti-daze or parachute.

This is why the Strider is not getting the same exemption as the herbing golems.
By “too powerful” Ion meant water walking was a big enough carrot to entice people into always changing back. It doesn’t matter to him if the water-walking equipment is cheap because it’s purpose is to be the switch so next time we need anti daze we have to pay 1000? gold to re-equip one.

I’m sure you’re aware how important extra purchases, particularly tokens, are now to Blizzard’s revenue stream. The more need for gold they build into the game, the more cash players will spend on tokens. We’re being lead and manipulated, with the justifying notion filtering down that it’s all the fault of Strider owners for riding their striders “too much”.

I expect, when I buy a mount with an ability, it will keep its ability. When the Yak had to be changed because reforging went, Blizzard took that loss to the Yak seriously and worked out with players the best way to handle it, and never tried to monetize the change. But this is a different Blizzard now, and anything can be changed without care, any time.

Profession made items are kept from being relevant to future expansions, so we have no idea what will be involved in equipping mounts in the future, or even if Blizzard will keep the equipment slots in journals in the future. Having taken the innate water walking from the Strider it is now very easy for them to remove water walking altogether, make us complete quests to qualify for it, or just jack up the price.

We also don’t know what other equipment could be added. They may next treat the golems in a similar way - as another green was asking them to do, (I think in the “Water Strider Discussion” thread) - or they may make flying a purchasable equipment to be bought after earning flying through Pathfinder. The more alternatives they provide, the more players will spend switching between them.

This equipment as on the PTR will already negatively impact many players, and the potential is for it to become far worse.

And one last point - reports from the PTR suggest the water walking from the equipment is a nerfed version of Strider water walking, with fall damage from jumping down into water canceling it - which does not happen on my Strider in retail, and being unable to bounce back up to the surface after losing water walking in the water - which also is not the case in retail.

4 Likes

Wouldnt put it past them. My original Class Mount used to run on water till Ion decided it was too strong and removed it. Even had a cool flame effect.

2 Likes

You dont get to speak for me. Dont drag me down into your hate. I love my bug, he is very cute.

5 Likes