This wasn't handled well

You can complain about this all you want, but the viewership speaks for itself. The marketing team’s job is to get eyes on the product, and they did exactly that. Clearly you have an issue Twitch and streamers, fine. I hate Facebook and Twitter, but that doesn’t mean I should rage every time a new feature or a CM post comes out on social media. You can’t deny the size and influence of Twitch, get over it.

I get that release dates can be inconvenient, but come on… This is just sour grapes. Get over yourself.

This is all based on the unfounded assumption that the product would actually be ready significantly sooner. You are taking this all personally. Dont get me wrong, I’m all for bashing Blizz for their track record the last couple years, but this is just over the top melodrama.

2 Likes

The median age for a college attendee is 27 and 40% of college students are over the age of 25. The notion that college students are all unemployed 18 year olds is outdated at best and ignorant at worse. There are many students that are juggling family, work, everything that you juggle while also juggling school. 43% of full time students work full time and 78% of part time students also work full time.

1 Like

100% agree with this post.

oh you gotta watch this. not because i think i’m smarter than you and not because i’m trying to argue with you, but because, if you know mage spells and vanilla era items, this video of a guy playing vanilla wow pvp, will give you a new appreciation for watching someone else play one of your favorite games (presumably). at the beginning he makes sure to show you what armor and items he has, which is an important part of it.

2 Likes

Ya, this looks like fake news. Got a citation? 2018 estimates from the National Center for Education Statistics shows about 62% of college students being below the age of 25.

Besides, there is a HUGE skills gap in the US work force. Far too many kids walking out of college with a mid-level management quality degree and flooding the white collar jobs market with soft skills.

Trade and votech schools are seeing record placement of graduates that have skyrocketing wages because everyone wants to study marketing and gender issues.

presumably, you want wow classic to have lots of players and be successful. so does blizzard. i am not a content creator or streamer, if they debuted me to promote their game on twitch, i’d probably be the only person watching. not a very successful promotion. not saying kargoz doesnt have a following, though, cause i have watched his content and enjoyed it.

marketing is how you get your game out there and since the advent of the internet, companies have had to re-imagine how they advertise. they dont spend nearly as much on tv ads, cause alot of people have quit watching tv.

1 Like

But why make people who are already interested in the game go through streamers? Yes, streamer outreach gets more customers, but you can get that with just getting them beta keys and other kickbacks. Streamer outreach does very little for people already interested. Exclusive hype only grabs the attention of people already paying attention, not disinterested randos.

What’s the worst that could happen?

well what groups are they trying to get back into the game? they already know you and i are a shoe-in. so the next group are the people who arent posting and reloading the official forums and checking their email for beta invites. how they gonna know specifically who those people are? all they know is they got a game they want to promote and 2 decades of potential customers., spread all over twitch and youtube and other parts of the internet. hehe

would be trippy if classic was so popular it broke wow’s previous record for subs. for that to happen though, people need to know its happening.

1 Like

How many multi-million dollar product launches have you been involved with? I suspect you are speaking from ignorance.

1 Like

Oh right, I forgot how stupid people are nowadays. You’re right, people will get hyped at anything if their influencer tells them to get hyped.

Yep, people aren’t super bright right now…

1 Like

It didn’t seem to make that much more of a splash than if they had just dropped a big announcement. Then all those B/C tier wow streamers would have been streaming about it anyways. Even if they got them news early so they could generate hype, that’s not justification to make the content streamer exclusive. Just to give enough for the streamers to be on board.

I was talking about why the content was streamer exclusive. For some reason you’ve decided to pull it out of context and make it just about streamers. Maybe because reasons.

This is just utterly clueless. Nearly 2:30 am on a weeknight and WoW has about as many viewers on Twitch (80k) as they pull for major Blizzcon announcements. Freaking rofl

2 Likes

Sorry, you are correct, my median age is incorrect. It is most likely in the 23-24 range. I have no idea how the rest of your post is relevant though. Colleges and trade schools have very different goals. And even if they didn’t they are both significant financial investments that require a good amount of planning and thought that eat up massive amounts of time and the people participating in them shouldn’t be thought of as infants.

its not

Was showing how you answered your own question earlier, and then proceeded to complain about the intelligence of the modern human.

i cant answer beyond the concept of marketing the game. i have no idea why they would use streamers to give us official info, if thats what you’re saying. and if that is the case, i wondered if maybe that part of their marketing dept was fired cause they decided they could just have streamers disseminate the info for free and save themselves thousands and thousands of dollars.

who knows. i dont have the details on that.

Okay, so where’s the content directly from Blizz and not from Blizz through a streamer interview? Because lots of the details have to be picked out from those.

Too many people seeking the same degree = imbalanced skills necessary for the economy. Too much competition for the same job pushes wages down. The vast majority of people seeking a 4 year degree will never make up for the financial burden and opportunity cost.

Cool, who said that?