This wasn't handled well

Yeah its just not my scene. I would be happier on a less populated server than deal with the type of gaming community they and their followers can foster.

I have no issues waiting after the initial launch to look up some of the big names, simoly to avoid it.

To each their own, tho.

1 Like

The sheer blind hatred for streamers is astounding around here. i honestly fear for my life in regards to you people.

1 Like

I pretty much agree with you on points 1 and 2, but not on 3 at all. I myself know full well how busy life gets when my son goes back to school. Especially if he decides to play sports or do any after school activities. But ya know what? That’s life, and I’m good with it. And personally, I’m not going to whine and complain about the release date. While I am beyond hyped and excited to play this game that I have hoped for for many years, I understand the world doesn’t revolve around me and my schedule.

I get it. Many were hoping for an early summer release, so was I. But I sure didn’t expect it. Let’s take a look at when Blizzard originally launched WoW and then all of it’s expansions. WoW launched on November 23, 2004. Here are when all the expansions launched taken from wiki. TBC launched in January 2007. Wrath launched in November 2008. Cata launched in December 2010, MoP in September of 2012, WoD November 2014, Legion in August 2016 and BfA in August of 2018. Do you happen to notice a pattern in all these dates? WoW has never had a spring or early summer launch. As you see they are typically late summer to early winter. It was wishful thinking for an early summer launch.

It does not help that blizzard is now utilizing them as their mouthpiece, with a healthy helping of commentary one has to put up with to glean what actual information they may have.

2 Likes

And that justifies blind hatred, i suppose that makes sense coming from someone like you.

1 Like

Imgur

1 Like

I agree with this 100%. The release date was grossly botched. Either hit a target date of end of June to early mid July or just push it back further into October. The end of august is terrible.

This information has come directly from blizzard interviews. We don’t really need an investigator to find out the details.

1 Like

What part of shouldn’t have to watch a 3rd party streamer in order to get information do you not understand?

2 Likes

Yes I completely understand as stated above: “I agree with Blizzard being the ones who should announce things rather then streamers though.”

That doesn’t mean it’s hard to glean actual information from watching an interview lol.

Hard? No. Tedious, having to sit through a streamer’s commentary and then attempt to disseminate what is actual fact versus opinion.

#1 Streamers provide free advertisement in addition to providing a video log of potential bugs and issues that even people without beta access can pick up on and bring forward.

#2 Layering isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Its just server clusters (e.g. Illidan 1, 2, 3) with the ability to actively swap between clusters. They said queues are still going to be a thing so i wouldnt expect more than 3 layers (3 realns worth of players on same server). There are some issues with it that people have addressed such as layer hopping for chests/nodes and the duration of which they intend to keep the system going. But these call all be changed depending on how fast server pops stabilize.

#3 Grow up, how many expansions have been held in November (Final exam weeks here in Australia) and never has this been a big deal. If anything the timing will help with the launch process by staggering the amount of players entering the game. I get you want to be in with the first lot of players but be greatful that there is layering else you would have to come home to a 4-5 thousand player queue (just like every other launch).

1 Like

#1: Giving streamers first priority and pushing them so hard to be the face of the Classic community really pushes a dangerous precedent. It means that qualified beta testers won’t be given access to the beta, but streamers who are outright toxic and promote a toxic community or people who have been on the forefront AGAINST Classic before its announcement (cough cough Towelliee cough cough) do, all because the latter has more viewers.

#3 This release date can go to bloody hell. Whoever decided to make THAT the date is just…like, I don’t even know where to start.

4 Likes

Have a classic summer watching every streamer play while you can’t…

This isn’t even remotely true. Twitch can die right now and the gaming industry would be business as usual. Also please stop calling them “content creators”. They stream themselves consuming content, they create nothing.

9 Likes

Kind of disheartening that the best content creators Blizzard can pair up with use words like “autistic” as a slur/derogatory term.

If they can’t vouch for the quality of people they’re granting exclusive interviews to then they should hire some in-house content creators to provide official videos.

5 Likes

Nah, it really wouldn’t
Advertising is changing from traditional to something more focused on the “content creators” you guys hate so much.

So many games pump their entire marketing budget into content creators for paid streams and paid videos because it works.
It’s the reason why a garbage game like ARK did so well. Streamers got paid a ton to promote. Viewers saw the streamers having fun with their friends, so they immediately bought the game thinking they’d have as much fun.

If that were to disappear, it would disrupt quite a bit.
You think they’d pay for advertising on regular TV? lol

Are you a streamer?

Dang, where did I put my pitchfork?

Vanilla and TBC player here and I have to say I agree with everything in this post. Spent the entire day watching Defcamp because he was one of the few streamers who was a part of the movement since day one. Truth is we’re only getting this game because for years there was a private server community breaking TOS to play a game that was no longer offered by Blizzard. After repeatedly being told they wouldn’t support “our” game and that we were just being whiny they shut down the largest community driven project and sparked a movement.

Very few players who were given access today were part of the Nostalrius movement and probably in the same ratio were people who talked down to those people.

Watching the “popular streamers” go through and not do any bug reporting while people like Kargoz were frantically analyzing their streams for any bug or unverified data point was heartbreaking.

This wasn’t a beta, this was a marketing test and it was so depressing to witness. The grass roots campaign that loves vanilla was there AND will continue to be there when the rest of the crowd moves on was silenced. Meanwhile, the in clique with Blizzard recites the mantra of “no changes” with layering, cross-realm bgs, different animation systems (that effects the mechanical feel of the game both with character animations and the changes of billboarded effects to particles.) This isn’t Vanilla, if they wanted to do that they would have just given up the server code so we could have hosted it ourselves. This is Classic that aims to be true to the taste of vanilla while offering severe changes they can monetize for. We need to have those people who are in love with the original game so much that they’ve spent years of their life playing characters on private servers despite the bugs, poor management and frequent shutdowns to be in here combing the details. Anyone in Grizzly or Nope deserves spots over most of the people invited today.

I’m looking forward to Classic coming out. I’m also looking forward to not having to sift through content creators I have a genuine distaste for in order to get relevant information and being able to ignore people who openly mocked the community.

3 Likes

You do realize that in a couple of weeks when more people are in beta that no one will even remember today, right?