This PrePatch event does not respect player time

Thing is, you kind of can. The event maybe lasts 5-10 minutes. Sure, it’s not back to back, but if your goal is just to play the event. Login, play the event, logoff or do something else. In actuality all 3 events probably take only 30-40 minutes in total. That’s really not that bad.

If someone is grinding the whole time, then yea that sucks, but I don’t think that’s a good idea.

30-40 minutes a week at a time of my choosing, times 4 weeks, to earn all rewards would be just about right.

Those same 30-40 minutes, when they have to be at precise minutes picked by Blizzard, come at a much higher opportunity cost.

Also it appears you have to do this a lot more than 3 times a week (using alts) to earn the total residue. Which again wouldn’t be a big deal if you do it whenever you had time, but is a much bigger deal when it has to be on someone else’s schedule.

people complaining about this are just comical. they just want everything, here and now. to get the mount and pets will be a joke. you could get them twice with minimal playtime.

and to the ones using “oH, bUt I cAn’T gEt MaH kEtChUp GeAr” who cares. its 480. it will all be replaced the moment you do a handful of quests on the Isle of Dorn.

this event you get 1500 per boss per week for a total of 4500 per week and 18000 before the event ends. even if you only kill the bosses 4-6 times per day that is another 2500 per day and 75000 for the month plus your 18000 and you have a grand total of 93000 RM. now go get your pets and mount and wipe those tears.

All 3 quests 55 times each is the number you looking for. 18 alts a week doing all 3 quests. 14 hours a day at 2.66 (3) alts per day. (2.66 would be doing 3 quests on one toon and 2 on the next).

You say that like most people have the time to wait 90 minutes several times per day, every day. Most of us have work and additional IRL responsibilities. 18,000 Residual Memories doesn’t cover every reward. Bear in mind the boss actually spawning at this point is a best case scenario.

No one cares about the catch-up gear. It’s about the transmogs, pets and mounts. Of course none of this would be a problem if these rewards weren’t limited-time.

And even if we did have the time? It’s still disrespectful of players’ time because of opportunity cost. We could always be doing something else with our time given a better designed pre-patch event that doesn’t timegate players. There is no excuse on Blizzard’s part not to have foreseen how wasteful of players’ time this event would be. They could have done better.

1 Like

FOMO for a prepatch event is not new. But the way they went about it is not cool.
It is not cool because players want to play on alts or hop on real quick to have fun.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

They lack the information to reach that conclusion. I strongly suspect most shareholders and even a good amount of developers and decision-makers at Blizzard just don’t even play the game.

1 Like

Yeah they definitely don’t play the game at Blizzard. Look at the mop remix announcement - they believed they were already generous with bronze and “won’t need to hotfix it” …

They then had to do many many rounds of hotfixes in the magnitude of 100%, 200%, additonal sources, etc… to get it to a reasonable state.

No one at blizzard plays the game at any level that matters. The best and maybe only player is Ion himself, who is a blue parsing resto shaman in a mediocre heroic guild.

3 Likes

“Only block out 6 to 9 hours a day for this event, possibly accomplishing a few things in between so long as each one can be organized to fit within the 90 minute windows with no chance of running over.”

LOL @ “only”. But to be fair, maybe this really is the way they think over at Blizz HQ.

To be clear I am not going to do that and I’m not going to worry about it. I am going to complain about it though, because they absolutely deserve all the negative feedback for structuring their game this way.

2 Likes

Why has a prepatch even turned into a grind? Why? Is time played metrics that important for a prepatch event???

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

Man I grinded up a few alts on the df pre patch event. It was great. There was also a timer and gaps between them but they weren’t an hour plus long.
These prices are Ldo ridiculous.

That is a fair conclusion because if they played the game they would not do what they do at the moment.

I actually lowkey just chopped my alt list down to just 4 to fit in the one warband: 1 Plate, Mail, Leather and Cloth character.

Started my Druid and she’s only 25 and only has the 1 staff drop (Epic lvl 70, not the quest blues). Been doing for 12 hours and the time it takes to down bosses is incredibly fatiguing.

I took a break earlier and seriously questioned myself bothering with the game at all.

The previous pre-expansion events were way better, why did this one ever get ok’ed? Pressure from above?

2 Likes

You can just level your mythic track to 4/6 and be the same as in DF!

:slight_smile:

Agreed. It’s prepatch: loot should be all over the place. You should have too much loot, not scrambling to manage to get a few pieces. IMO, those trash mobs should be dropping all kinds of loot.

3 Likes

So, let me get this straight.

It ‘doesn’t respect your time’ even though the event runs multiple times a day (with an hour break between each event, giving you TIME to do plenty of stuff so you don’t feel like you’re constantly grinding), every boss you kill drops an item which can be put in your warband bank to send to your alts, and the only uber-expensive items are a mount and pets, but you can earn those easily enough.

Am I getting that right?

No, see, an event that ‘doesn’t respect your time’ is one that runs at strange hours, making it difficult for you to do it, or one that makes you feel like you can’t stop doing the event and don’t have the opportunity to take breaks because it’s always active. This? This event is more respectful of players time than most other pre-patch events.

And realistically? You don’t need to grind forever to earn the mount, pets and gear. You don’t, and you also don’t need to grind for upgrades for that gear, since by the end of this month you’ll be replacing it.

1 Like

I concur the season of DF is over as we are heading into a new expansion where the new season for TWW isn’t starting for a while.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

While I hate this event, purely because it’s time-gated as it is - Blizzard will never respect player time until they aren’t driven by active player metrics.

The general consensus between players is that this event sucks for players.

Blizzard will see it as a success because people are logged in.

1 Like

This might be true. Equally true is getting those 2 extra upgrades would be the actual relative equivalent to 4/4 in dragonflight. We won’t know til people either achieve them same as usual, or hit a wall below what they normally complete season to season.

2 Likes

I can understand it’s more about “being at the max upgrade” than the specifics of 4/4 vs 6/6.

I mean players are actively wanting 4/4, a a flat 6 item level nerf, because being at the cap is a more important goal than the actual absolute power which I can understand that view.

I’m in the camp that the upgrade system should be almost entirely scrapped because it’s mostly busy work to just end up with 13 item level gaps like we used to have for a whole, without needing to grind crests. Feels like a tax, similar to MoP and WoD valor upgrade tax.

Maybe some upgrade system similar in spirit to capped valor so EoD gear and similar power gear from all other sources can be nudged up a bit like in DF season 1.