This game REALLY needs a CPU overhaul

I don’t understand why it’s unreasonable for people to want a game that takes advantage of modern hardware.

1 Like

Hmm, my 7800x3d does fine :wink:

i7 13700KF with a GTX 4080.
70+FPS in Valdraken and 165+ (165 cap) everywhere else.

30 man raids will have me dip into the 100s when everything going all at once.
Max graphics 1440p.

I have an X3D CPU, and the game runs okay, but only okay.

Why?

I use Linux with Nvidia (a bad idea, hahaha), have a 4K 32:9 monitor, and use a lot of addons.

Still don’t have any killable lag on fights like Raz.

While I would love better performance with my current setup, I admit that the game runs butter-smooth without addons. I made the game run worse, and it’s still more than playable, in my opinion.

Probably a 1660gtx. Thats what mine is, and it is 4 years old also.

Assuming im on 2 is kinda cute. ^^

And yes, I do compare Max Turbo first, because that one tells up to what frequency it is specced. A CPU specced for higher turbo frequencies can easily run in higher frequencies without overheating than one with lower turbo frequencies. Means for a 12700k it’s easy to match the max turbo frequence of the 7600k without even sweating.
I don’t know how to explain it better in English in layman’s terms. English is after all only my second language.
Btw. Valdraken 55% CPU @ 4,17 GHz on my old i5 (with max. 30% of that being WoW).

You also completely ignore CPU optimizations done over the years and the faster RAM, etc. Oh and most Benchmarks rate the 12700k about 40% to 60% higher in performance than the 7600k…just saying.

I think that’s what mine is too. And since it runs all the games I play smoothly, I have no need to give these companies any of my money. lol

1 Like

yea I am only using a 5600X and 3060 TI and wow seems fine. I think with the new patch some graphic settings are change so OP have to change them back?

What is the speed and timings of that ram?

It doesn’t matter because the human eye can’t see more than 15 frames per seconds anyways.

/s

1 Like

You likely hit a CPU bottleneck for WoW, since even a 6700 XT bulldozes non-RT settings most of the time for 1440p.

AFMF tries to double your FPS, and the in-game counters won’t reflect this, so you typically cap your in-game refresh rate to half of what you’re trying to hit with it. EG: I run at 240 hz, and cap to 120 hz. AFMF is smoother than Lossless Scaling, but it’s finicky about working in WoW.

I agree that the game needs a CPU pass, and it’s unfortunate you’re on a rather dated mid-tier Intel CPU. AMD’s X3D chips having a lot of extra cache helps tremendously, and in particular, helps with 1% lows.

Also, I really wouldn’t benchmark Valdrakken for settings. There is no setup in the world that can handle it at a stable frame cap. Right now, even I sit at 57-60 FPS fully maxed 1440p with RT High on a 7900 XT/7800X3D, and having a 4080/4090 wouldn’t overcome the CPU limitation. Throwing in 200% scaling puts me at 39-40 FPS. It’s better to look at your combat FPS in, say, Mythic raid encounters.

As far as I know, the in-game upscaler is still broken. It used to hurt FPS, and even on the TWW beta it was broken. Doesn’t seem to be hurting my FPS anymore, but it isn’t helping it, either.

I’m stock settings (boosts enabled), though my 7900 XT is underclocked and undervolted, due to issues with cooling my house overall when running it full bore. It’ll still push 240 if I want it, but I like running Lossless Scaling and waiting out the Summer heat if I want a smoother upper end.

Same. My pc is a little over 4 years old now, and it still runs everything I play without any hiccups.

2 Likes

In some situations this can be a huge bottle neck. When I was on a potato in BfA, loading into the Boralus took over a minute. Switched to an SSD and it went to a few seconds.

A lot of people means a lot of mogs pets and mounts with resrouces spread all over your drive.

many an addon will cause you grief as it attempts to parse all kinds of crap on load into a zone.

No bettetrttetrtere CPU can fix the way LUA code runs.

I run a 4060ti now and severely bottleneck it cause I need a new CPU.

That’s my point, we all do, and have always been. Going from such a high DPS to something sub 100 just because there are too many people is just sad.

Even though you can tweak some settings and get over 100 FPS in Valdrakken, the entire point is, how does this game STILL bottleneck on the CPU when there is too much going on? Yes, the game has been updated over the years, but it’s an ancient game still and you would think by now they would have figured it out.

1 Like

You sort of answered your own question. Older architecture, but it has received updates, including graphical. I don’t know what they did with Dragonflight, specifically, that jumped the requirements so massively. Arguably, Shadowlands was rough from BFA, but everything from BFA back ran well in my i7-8700k/1070 Ti.

I moved to a 7800X3D/7900 XT, as I was unable to even record during Aberrus, particularly on Zskarn and Magmorax, though I didn’t upgrade until after Mythic Council of Dreams. Something with a background particle or transparency effect would bury my PC, regardless of settings. Even as far back as Sylvanas I was probably no higher than 44 FPS during combat, which is what I was on Mythic Sarkareth while recording.

I got a nice increase in visuals switching to a 2k monitor. Game looks so smooth now I love it.

You most certainly can. You must not have any experience with a high refresh rate monitor. I can’t stand playing at 60 FPS. I need 100+ FPS for a smooth experience in any game. I get 60-100 FPS in Val depending on how busy it is, and I hit 120 (my refresh rate capped) everywhere else with my GPU usage around 60% at 4k @ max settings. I use my motherboards AI overclocking software (which is amazing) to have my CPU at 5.0-5.4mhz. It would be cool if I could always hit 100+ FPS in cities but it’s hard to do in any MMO.

To the OP: DLSS 3.5 would be pointless for WoW since the hardware required to use those features already is overkill for WoW. Frame Generation is not something you want to use if you play competitively due to the inherent input latency.

Win 11
ROG Strix z690e mobo
32GB DDR5-5600
LG c1 monitor

Yeh that’s fine, my monitor cannot even handle it, I doubt anyone can at 500 FPS. But to prove my point in all this, my PC can hit 500 FPS somewhere in DF, not sitting in a cave in MC staring at a wall, but in the newest most intensive content with all but ray tracing on.

It might be about time they updated the game engine to something newer.