This game REALLY needs a CPU overhaul

There isn’t one. If you had an i9 14900KS and a 4090 and standing in a pile of 100 players, you’re still under 90 FPS. It’s a product of a lot of things. WoW has no way to just blow the roof off the FPS issue.

It’s also important to note what resolution you guys are playing at, like I am using 1440p. If you are using 1080p and saying you are getting a million FPS, that’s one of the reasons why.

I avoid this by locking it to 60 max, I suppose.

First of all, context matters.
You need to specify your resolution, target refresh rate and which effects you want enabled.
And your screen/rig must be able to output those.

To “run” is not the same as being “playable”.
You can “run” WoW in windows XP with a pentium 3 CPU, it does not make it playable.

For WoW to run even decently in current resolution and refresh rate (1080p60 ↔ 1440p120), you need a good GPU and a fast CPU with decent RAM speed and good enough L2+L3 cache.

If you want to run at HD settings (720p30 ↔ 768p60), a 750ti GPU and an old (2nd gen onwards) high-end Core i5/i7 CPU will suffice, but anything less and the game becomes nigh unplayable.

You have a very loyal follower base then lol

If you can’t see an improvement over 60Hz, check you eyes, they must be wrong.
120Hz is a good target cap, but even above that quick movement will be smoother with higher refresh rates.

Refresh rate wise:
15 to 30 is the difference between playable and unplayable.
30 to 60 is a WORLD of difference in smoothness and quality.
60 to 120, is just a small, but perceptible, extra gain for quick movement sections.

On topic, as said, Wow is CPU bound.
Get the X3D chip, it’s definitely worth it for the higher mem cache for many games, if your primary usage in PC is gaming.

That said, it would likely need a full engine rewrite to properly support multithreading, which I don’t think is going to happen

Worse still is the LUA core being single threaded.

Anything above 24 fps is a bonus.

1 Like

Nah, 24 fps is barely playable.

1 Like

Incorrect.

Get your eyes checked.

1 Like

They do, they just won’t spend the money on it. The quickest solution is to rework how the game calculates all those nameplates and all the data that goes with it.

They tried in the past, but if you remember BFA and around the time of EP you would have decent FPS. But jump into a raid with 6 frost mages who all pop frozen orb and lust on pull and you would crap out because now the game was trying to start the calculations on all 15, 20, 25 players and the orbs all at the same time.

If you look up Turtle WoW, WoW’s illegal cousin, they are in the process of converting their game over to Unreal 2 and are getting a much higher performance. But that costs money, and Actiblizzsoft they will never spend it when players can just tank their settings and run the game just ‘fine’.

Frame generation is fake FPS (both Nvidia and AMD). You don’t actually get that FPS. It can make things “look” smoother while adding a ton of latency. It’s not worth it.

1 Like

Rewriting the entire game isn’t really what we are talking about, but I guess we could also build a skyscraper that stretches to space if we really want to so, sure?

1440p, with g-sync capped at 120. I get 120-ish, and fairly smooth, out in the world, but then it’s 65-85 and going up and down and looking choppy in Valdrakken or Dalaran. It’s the up and down bits that make me crazy, and even capping it a lot lower never helps that. G-sync helped some, but it’s still annoying.

1 Like

Yea it happens to me too. Right when I enter Val it skips a beat and tanks. It’s a lot of things, including all of the inputs from surrounding players, addons, assets rendering in much greater detail. WoW has a lot of problems though, like in the ED my fans are going nutso the entire time, but I go a normal DF zone and they are fine. Same with some instanced scenarios, fans go nuts, no reason at all, FPS at 200. They don’t optimize the game like they should.

Yeah sure, thats why my 7 year old (launch date) Core i5 doesn’t really run worse than your nearly 3 year old (launch date!) Core i7. Intel must have really made better CPUs then back in the day. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s as if CPU makers have emphasized adding more cores, rather than higher clock speeds, over the past 7 years, and WoW isn’t taking advantage of those extra cores. I know I know, it may be too complicated for you to understand.

When you know, you know. :smiley:

Might not be as lol as you might think. The new 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs had issues with crashing. Mayhaps this could be related. I suck at computing, so I could be way off base.

What I do know, is that I had to switch to Dx11 Legacy to keep from suffering Error 132 crashes; and I have a 4090 GTX and an i9.

:man_shrugging: I’m old. Computers are weird. Shout out to the people who deal with em for a living.

1 Like

Oh, let’s look in Intel Ark then…
i5 7600k: Max Turbo Frequency 4,1 GHz
i7 12700k: Max Turbo Frequency 5,0 GHz / Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency 4,9 GHz

I do know what I’m talking about, don’t worry. I might only be a senior software developer, but I do know enough about CPUs for knowing, that the single core performance of an i7 12700k is quite a bit better than the one of an i5 7600k. :wink:

I know, but he has a 12th gen Intel. Anyways if it would be related to the crashing issues, then it would be not WoW having a CPU issue, but an actual issue with the actual CPU.

3060 ti came out four years ago so I’m not sure how you’ve had it for eight years.

1 Like

Don’t worry, we can tell.

Using Turbo frequencies as your argument? You think Turbo = sustained? Lol

Crank your game up from 2 to 10 and let us know how awesome your FPS in Valdrakken is.

I don’t understand why people need seven billion fps, when we can’t even see it to begin with.

1 Like