This game REALLY needs a CPU overhaul

Recently got a 7800XT, $800, but still within my budget, running a 12700K, water cooled, NVME, tons of RAM and all that jazz. The 7800XT helps in that frame generation is a thing, better than Nvidia where DLSS does not yet, or ever, work with WoW and I can get 50-60 FPS in game, 100-120 FPS on the AMD FPS counter while lounging around in Valdrakken with almost full graphics, no ray tracing.

Move over to damn near anywhere else where there are no other players and even in DF I can get upwards of 500 HUNDRED FPS in the AMD counter, 250 in game. 250 in game FPS with max graphics on everything but ray tracing. Turn off all my addons in Valdrakken and I get… 60-70 FPS in game, I gain 10 FPS with no addons, a measly 10 whole FPS.

Aside from getting an X3D CPU, there is nothing more I can do myself to make things better on my end. And the only reason I got a new GPU is because my TV one (8 years old) had started to die, so I brought a new one for me and Frankenstein’d my old one into my TV PC.

For reference my old card was a 3060 Ti, got maybe 10-15 less FPS in Valdrakken on the in game counter, so a new card does help, but holy, $800 AUD for up to 15 FPS, yeh, game needs better CPU optimization.

28 Likes

It’s a good thing I still use a GTX1080 Ti. It allows me infinite FPS due to the fact that it will always remain the pinnacle of technology and is objectively impossible to be superseded. Feels good to be the king.

30 Likes

In the same boat. All I know about the graphics card in my computer is it starts with GTX and is about 4 years old.

6 Likes

I highly doubt it’s a CPU problem…I don’t have graphic settings to full, but it’s still on a good setting (no raytracing, since my card doesn’t even do raytracing) and I do run it with a 1060 (no super, no Ti) and a Core i5 7600k. If my CPU can run the game without a hustle, your i7 12700K can do it as well. It has to be a GPU thing.

3 Likes

WoW will run on a potato, so I’m thinking this is a graphics card/driver/something issue.

2 Likes

you’ll burn your eyes out, kid.

You’ll burn your eyes out.
You’ll burn your eyes out.

ho.

ho.

ho…

8 Likes

So this is due to WoW relying heavily on 1-4 cores and not using any more than that. If you run a monitoring software while playing you will see this.

What this creates is a situation where switching out GPUs might not do a whole lot, it might actually do nothing. Especially in Valdrakken.

I have a 13600k with an RTX 3070. I tried switching out GPU to a 6950xt as well as a 7800xt, neither of which gave me ANY uplift at all. I am still running the 3070 as of now.

CPU upgrades are king in WoW, it’s silly, but it’s the way it is.

11 Likes

I have no idea why you get so little frame rate - my computer is a lot weaker but I can get 400 fps but my fans go crazy so I cap it at 60fps.

2 Likes

Akapally unlocked Ultra instinct guys …WATHC OUT !!!

6 Likes

Agree with this, I’m running WoW retail on my 2019 Macbook Pro and even post pre-patch everything runs relatively smoothly and graphically looks great. I don’t game much anymore so no need for a gaming PC but it’s hard to believe OP is ‘suffering’

2 Likes

Are you actually monitoring the temps? If it’s high, it might be throttling itself.

3 Likes

The game is junk, stop blaming people’s hardware for bad code.

13 Likes

Sounds like you spent a lot of money for nothing, as my computer’s specs are starting to be outdated for newer games but can still run World of Warcraft at the maximum settings. One of the continued strengths of the game is it’s accessibility to lower-end computers.

7 Likes

Nah it’s 100% a CPU issue, always has been and always will be.

I could turn all my settings to zero, game looks HORRIBLE, but but AMD Frame Generation I would get like 10,000,000 FPS in an older expansion and I would probably get like 1,000 FPS even in DF in some obscure place.

Even now at full graphics getting 250 in game FPS flying around with and my GPU utilisation sits around 99% with my overall CPU about 20%, the minute I go into Valdrakken my CPU goes up to 30-35% overall and GPU drops to 40%.

See the problem is that’s overall utilisation on my FPS counter, if I was to check the individual cores one core would jump to like 80% of more, a second core to around 40% and 2 additional cores doing something, the rest of the cores are all at or close to 0% being used.

The problem is that the game calculates a lot of crap, hence why in the open world alone it’s fine, but in the city it’s not, because out in the open I have no other player, minimal enemies, minimal nameplates, and when I am not in combat, nothing for my CPU to really calculate spell wise.

Even just sitting around in Valdrakken you see a player and the game starts to calculate that person, their health, buffs, debuffs, working out all their data and that is all a CPU thing, your GPU does not add 1+1 multiplied by all the buffs and all that.

And when I walk into the PVP hall where the training dummies are, now you got people casting spells, 10-12 training dummies all losing and gaining health, all the spell power and calculation there and it starts to lag, that on top of the max setting graphics drops me below 30 FPS and you notice it getting slower.

Yeh but at what graphics and where? If you read what I wrote, I can get an in game FPS counter of 250 at MAX settings in DF when I am out of the city, that’s nothing to sneeze at.

And no, temps are fine, I got to 68c earlier, 1c off that magic number, nowhere near the 90c+ that will end up throttling your card.

1 Like

Here I am running a Ryzen 3500 and an RTX 3060 and getting 60 almost everywhere, on Max settings/1080p. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

System Information

Time of this report: 7/25/2024, 10:28:27
         Machine name: MATT-PC
           Machine Id: {A1599305-B7BD-4DF6-BE0E-7AC6EB86B398}
     Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22635) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
         System Model: B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2
                 BIOS: F16d (type: UEFI)
            Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor               (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
               Memory: 49152MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 49056MB RAM
            Page File: 21758MB used, 34466MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
             Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.5.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.22621.3566 64bit Unicode

Yea running a nvidia 1080 TI that I got back in 2019. The game runs great in dungeons (small size raids) and outdoor world content that DONT involve alot of people. 120fps-ish with graphics setting on 6/10. Any time I move to a city though, or a situation with a bunch of people and the fps drops to about 30-60 (depending on how dense, easily 30fps in Valdrakken or packed world quests). It’s a CPU problem, not a graphics card problem.

2 Likes

The 1080Ti was a good buy like a decade ago… still usable today…

The King? Hasn’t been the King in a long time… an RTX 3060 is more numerous and just as fast. Speaking of which… you basically have a 3060 without the RTX cores… its a ho-hum card by today’s standards… there’s tons of faster cards out there.

The 1080Ti was a smart buy when it launched, but its nothing special today.

Blasphemy! Heretic! the 1080Ti is the most powerful piece of technology that will ever exist for all time!

9 Likes

I don’t exactly have a potato, but WoW is running just fine for me if I reduce settings, then make separate profiles for raiding and open-world/dungeon content.

I tend to turn of SCT and other addons that aren’t needed, but my specs are:

-AMD Ryzen 7 4800H (2.90 GHz)
-AMD Radeon RX 5600M
-32GB RAM
-1TB SSD (system drive)
-512GB SSD (storage)

Granted, I am not running on full ULTRA settings at 100+ FPS…however, it is working just fine.

tell me about it…
but then they’d have
to repaint the game,
minimally!
i’m sitting on $5k worth
of computer and the game (maxed-out)
still looks like something
running on a commodore64…
lol!
but hey…that’s their business model…
it’s an old game…and they’ve decided to repackage/
resell old material…instead of bringing the game forward!

1 Like