They/them pronouns

Maybe see a therapist instead of expecting a game to cater to you.

2 Likes

I dunno, man, English is a weird language. It’s a cobbled-together hodgepodge of Germanic and Latin-based languages because the Romans partially conquered the island a bunch of blue-painted scraggly-haired dudes lived on for a while. Unlike many of the Latin-based languages, though, we generally don’t have gendered nouns where other languages do. De-gendering inanimate objects was no problem for us, why not people if they ask?

There has been a singular “they” in the English language documented as far back as the 1300s. For example, “Whose cellphone is this? They probably forgot it” is shorter and less awkward than “He or she probably forgot it.”

Sorry if it briefly makes learning the language a little more confusing, but other languages have been experiencing similar changes over time and English is already a train wreck. It’s a little like busting in and saying, “I JUST learned when and how thee and thou get used, and now you’re gonna switch everything up on me?!” A lot of people are going to go ahead and keep respecting people’s preferences, and common use will likely change over time. A living language will never stay textbook-perfect forever, even if it makes learning it a pain sometimes.

1 Like

Gender ideology doesn’t belong in game, nor does it belong in real life. It’s not progressive it’s regressive.

4 Likes

How is it regressive lol

My being no understand why your person prefer pronouns.

Please leave me out of this discussion.

4 Likes

Freedom from oppression is always progressive.

1 Like

Hello, I see you replied to the thread. There are no genders being oppressed within the World of Warcraft!

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

1 Like

Apparently you didn’t read the post to which I responded. It made a comment about real life.

You are such a plague and I am sick of it.

1 Like

Wrong. It does belong in the game and real life. I hope it comes full force and is in every video game and movie/series to come out in the future. You’d clearly love that :joy: :rofl: :smiling_face:

Sadly, it isn’t trolling. I wish it was.

2 Likes

OP Please get the help you need. The world is slowly dying trying to deal with all the mass hysteria.

3 Likes

Your sarcasm and snarky reply aside, before the English language was bastardized, ‘they’ was used as a plural for something. It may have been used as a slang to reference someone indirectly. It wasn’t 'till the last few years or so where left-leaning oxford and others decided to ‘‘update’’ definitions to fit the leftist ideologues.

1 Like

Hello, I see you replied to my post. This isn’t real life, it’s World of Warcraft!

1 Like

Yes I know. You came along in the middle of a conversation that WAS about real life.

Hello, I see you replied to my post. It wasn’t though, you just assumed that it was!

Hello! I want to copy and paste something I posted in another thread.

Singular “they” is not only endorsed by the American Psychological Association, the format for most academic writing, as well as the Oxford Dictionary, but traces of singular “they” date back to the 1300’s and exists in Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and even Chaucer. For about two centuries, the singular term “they” was identified as an error and switched to plural form, but in the 21st century, we began to see a rise of singular “they” again. Language is ever evolving, and never stagnant.

The School of Medicine, American Psychological Association, the Oxford Dictionary, and even Owl Purdue accept the singular “they”. I can understand for smaller students who may be learning the basic conventions of grammar to teach the plural they, but singular they also exists and is becoming widely accepted. And I think that’s an important teaching moment to have, not only to respect all gender pronouns but to also discuss the transformative grammatical conventions.

I teach my students that language is constantly changing and adapting. The most recent example of this would be one of my eighth graders trying to look up the word “humongous” in the dictionary last week and he couldn’t find it. When I tried, I also couldn’t find it. Then we saw that the dictionary was copyrighted for 1990. We had a big talk about how words are changing and evolving, and “they” could be an opportunity for you to talk to your students about how that word will be used in their future world. Not how it’s always been used in the past.

So “they” can be used both in plural form and in singular form, and both are technically grammatically correct.

6 Likes

That’s a really odd stance to take. Should only straight relationships be portrayed in media? Only the majority ethnic group? Etc?

It’s just part of reality. It’s not “agendas and politics”. It’s just people wanting a way to further create their character.

1 Like

Also lets not forget that the basis of language is shared understanding. As long as I know what you are referring to then it is already working as intended. Thats how we keep coming up with new lingo and terms. Singular they isnt a hard concept to grasp at all

3 Likes