They/them pronouns

No, being polite is not the same as respect. If you want respect, you have to earn it. By the responses you are receiving, I think it’s safe too say, many here don’t respect you.

3 Likes

Abuelo a real one!

1 Like

Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down. :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

1 Like

Is that hate speech for big boned people??? REPORTED!

Our former President comes to mind.

I respect talon

You respect yourself?

You’re so strange. 2 different people supporting gay rights isn’t all the rare.

We are not the same person. But you’ll believe whatever. Kinda funny coming from someone posting on a classic character. Go to the classic forums.

I’m not talking to myself, it’s likely you are.

1 Like

Okay classic boy. Go kill 40 boars for a quest or something. Don’t you have a raid you can do with 2 mechanics?

Oh wait level 40. Lmao.

Personal attacks do not prove a point

1 Like

Go auto attack something

2 Likes

“English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.” ~ Sir Terry Pratchett

2 Likes

Never in my life, including the military for 3 years, have I heard the plural “they” to refer to any single person. Never. Not once. I don’t give a hoot what Wiki or Google say about it. Neither can be trusted.

3 Likes

Well obviously if you’ve never heard it before it must not be a thing, because you’re a master of the English language who knows everything about it!

and any information that doesn’t say what you want it to say is clearly untrustworthy.

1 Like

It’s quite common. You probably just don’t pay attention to it.

3 Likes

I think pronouns are elitist tripe. What about those of us who use amateur nouns? Where’s our recognition?

3 Likes

“I trust the military more than I trust real critical thinking people and proven fact” sums things up pretty nicely.

Socially polite yes, but you are a stranger, nor do I know the content of your character, I am not required nor obligated to show you respect, simply because you demand it.

3 Likes

that’s the problem.

“I was talking to Dan and they said that they wanted tacos for lunch.”

when we learn, normally the sentence would be:

“I was talking to Dan and he said that he wanted tacos for lunch.”

This is the normal way of learning.

We use “he” for cases where we look at someone and recognize a male figure, or if Dan looks like a female figure:

“I was talking to Dan and she said that she wanted tacos for lunch.”

But mainly, we are talking about ONE person.

In English school outside the US (in other countries) they never explain it well.

The “they” is always taught how to reference a group of people, and nothing else.

They need to explain the whole “to be” method and when we get to this part where we are going to CHANGE some words because of a “group” that needs a specific pronoun that doesn’t belong to it primarily…it ends up being very counter-educational.

In addition to becoming a mess, it ends up making it even more difficult to learn a language that is not native to us.

“They”, “We”, are for cases where we mean that a group of people has done something, wants something, goes somewhere, etc…

From the moment that ONE person becomes “they”… the thing totally loses meaning for outsiders.

Honestly, this is one of the most childish things I’ve seen coming from you Americans.
There is no need to change something that only serves to locate the subject/person/object that we are referring to.

I don’t see any sense in this change, and I don’t understand how it would be disrespectful to use the correct and traditional way of referring to someone/something, and especially :
It seems like trolling to me, like some people wanting to impose something just for fun or mess up society unnecessarily.

5 Likes