There's people like this

might be different now, but the large number of reports would trigger an auto ban that the mod would review eventually. someone was using an offsite service that would multiple flag report targets. everybody in the thread was being reported, multiple times, resulting in bans going out left and right, which in turn created anomosity, presuming the other forum members were doing the flagging. this happened on a weekend so it took awhile to even get a mod to review it.

The most important one is not spouting out what would likely get you reported.

2 Likes

And what people are saying is this is Classic and a lot of us don’t want modern changes in a game where it didn’t exist. You could say add LFR because it’s been in the game for years and it would still be a no.

4 Likes

Except vanilla was never a static game nor does it by its very nature doesn’t exist in the same kind of static environment that say an NES game does.

Idiocy in chat is the “basis of the game”?

These threads hit the wall of absurd in such a violent way.

3 Likes

Go to the False reporting and automated ban thread and read through all 3000 posts if you wish to read about what people are “Fussing” about. Its not the same as it was anymore, its an automated AI that WILL ban you until repealed no-matter what you say as long as X amount of people report you.

1 Like

Fair enough.

You know what hasn’t been around for nearly as long? A culture where the very act of disagreeing with someone was considered violence.

Before any of you try to spout off about hyperbolic nonsense, no it’s a legit thing. If you say something that certain people don’t agree with, those people brand you as a racist and claim you are being violent and spouting hate speech. The twitter mob as it were, shouldn’t control who is squelched and who is not. And I’m not talking about just classic. I don’t agree with it in modern wow either.

If you don’t like what someone said, report them and let the GMs handle it.

3 Likes

I have no intention of getting myself reported or reporting anyone else. I’ll stick to /ignore personally if I really feel that’s warranted. Usually I’ll ignore if I feel particularly annoyed, not sure I really understand what it feels like to be HARASSED like some people claim to feel victimized by daily. If that’s not good enough for you then report with a detailed report from the game’s help menu. People should be able to have their server jokes without being HARASSED by snowflake reporters.

4 Likes

That would be why I suggested a blend of the old and the new.

Retain the player imposed punishment (squelch), but raise the target report number significantly, say to 100 reports.

Set the current target report number to trigger a flag on the reported account for review ASAP. Implement a system of escalating priority based upon the total number of tickets received.

Example:

10 reports triggers a level 10 ticket for review
20 reports bumps that ticket to a level 9
30 reports, level 8
40 reports, level 7
50 reports, level 6
60 reports, level 5
70 reports, level 4
80 reports, level 3
90 reports, level 2
100 reports triggers the player imposed auto squelch and a level 1 ticket for review.

A higher priority ticket should be reviewed before a lower priority ticket, even if that lower priority ticket ticket was generated first.

I also believe that everyone should be held accountable for their actions. If a squelched player has that squelch overturned because there was no violation, the reports that triggered that squelch were false reports, IMO. IMO, EVERY player submitted one of those false reports that contributed to that squelch should be punished.

IMO, if the number of reports required to trigger a player imposed punishment is low (say 10) and the system can easily be abused, then every player that submits a report that results in a squelch that is not upheld should be punished for submitting a false report. I believe that punishing every player that submits a false report would go along way toward curbing abuse.

If the number of reports required to trigger that player imposed punishment is high (let’s say 100) and it is significantly harder to abuse the system, then some leeway for tickets that are not upheld would be appropriate, IMO.

In that situation, someone could go to a less populated area and cause whatever trouble they want as long as there’s not 100 people around. It’s still abusable in much the same way as the old system was abusable.

Every system is abusable. But what would you prefer? Innocent until proven guilty? Or Guilty until proven innocent?

7 Likes

I think we should do away with the whole Vote to squelch idea all together. I used to run 300v300 serverwide events back before sharding. I cant imagine what would happen if the entire enemy faction figured out they could just vote ban me away lol.

2 Likes

Please do not attempt to play the #nochanges card. This is a background change that you would only know the existence of if you cannot manage to control what you type into general chat channels.

3 Likes

A handful of posters (including obvious alt accounts) making a thread reach 3000 posts does not equate to a groundswell of revolt.

2 Likes

I prefer a system where, if a person is causing trouble, that something actually be done. Something the old system did not address very well.
The argument isn’t so simple as guilty until proven innocent versus innocent until proven guilty.

2 Likes

Define causing trouble. Because being a random troll in trade chat and saying things you don’t like isn’t necessarily against the ToS. You are literally advocating for a system that can be abused to punish people, who have literally broken no rules and done nothing wrong, simply because some people didn’t agree with some things they said.

Every time your feels are hurt doesn’t mean the person who hurt them did anything worth punishing. My freedom doesn’t end where your feelings begin. Does this mean some people will be jerks? Yes. But regardless of which system you chose there will always be jerks.

I’d rather have a system where someone can say what they want, and their bad ideas can be exposed for being bad ideas and they can be persuaded to change their bad ideas.

3 Likes

You’re playing the card that assumes if you don’t want the feature then you must be plotting months in advance all the toxicity there is to bring to chat. Report. With. A. Detailed. Report. Not that hard to comprehend my stance. Stop twisting words. Can’t even take you seriously with your avatar lo.

3 Likes

No.

Classic/Vanilla IS a social game. An MMORPG, that is based around coordination, competition, and community. Forcing players to work together in a social environment. This change is not a “background change” and effects the entirety of the game because it effects said social environment.

Yes because 3000 comments are wrong and you the 1 person are correct after not reading a single one.

I as someone who actually came from classic at a young age and actually met the scum of the earth pedophiles racists and such in the time of Vanilla can completely confirm that they were dealt with accordingly. With a Permanent Ban.

4 Likes

Then leave the target report number low but send the message that abuse will NOT be tolerated by harshly punishing EVERY person that submits a false report (report submitted when there is no violation) that leads to a squelch that is ultimately overturned because there was no violation.

What many seem to want is a system that players can easily abuse to squelch any player at any time for every little slight they think they had to suffer, while ensuring that the abusers have little or no threat of repercussions or being held accountable for their actions.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t be afraid to talk in trade, but perhaps stick to actual trade related talk there. If you want to chant your own name, maybe do that in guild, or a party of friends. If your chat is considered as spam by the denizens of your realm they will report it as such. Sorry.

1 Like