There's no reason for new players to invest into this game

Ah, my misunderstanding, Ralph. I was interpreted the grind you mentioned to be from the necklace/cloak.

Also, how long is that fight and I’d be interested to see real world numbers too. As you note further down in that thread, Sims are ideal conditions.

I don’t disagree that the BFA systems account for a majority of one’s power. But here’s my conundrum: hasn’t this always been the case? Haven’t we had to grind for tier sets / current gear that ensures we do the most dps?

To me, this is a greater underlying paradigm of the game that has been around since BC: each expansion and tier requires a new grind to max out dps potential. Currently this is spread over multiple systems, perhaps in a way to allow multiple pathways to an overall higher dps/hps/survival?

At the end, I like this discussion and mean no offense or snark, truly.

1 Like

I don’t believe you quite understand the point of vertical power progression, Ralph.

1 Like

From the article:

In Shadowlands, Death Knights and Demon Hunters will start at level 1. Allied Race characters will start at level 10 and skip Exile’s Reach.

In addition, veteran players will be able to choose between venturing through Exile’s Reach, or the original starting zones (including the starting zone experiences for DKs and DHs)

Thus the starting zone is not a mandatory zone for all new characters - apparently just those on new accounts.

2 Likes

This is great, makes sense…

You still can’t choose to start in Shadowlands at level 1 which is what the poster I replied to stated.

1 Like

I think a new player could enjoy it only if they have no interest in PvP and simply want to explore, quest, and grind things like professions for the sake of ‘making interesting stuff’ as they very, very slowly level.

It would also help if the new player doesn’t mind really bad attitudes and behavior from folks who make WoW the place where they are able to feel self worth.

I think Beau meant Shadowlands as the expansion, not the area/zone. But I could be mistaken. I won’t speak for them, but that’s how I understood it. Didn’t mean to obfuscate further. Hope my reply didn’t come off as snarky

1 Like

And because Blizzard puts such an emphasis on endgame, there are massive amounts of each expansion that are level cap content…Suramar, for a very immersive example, but also story elements we found via daily questing (Quel’danas, for example). I only hope that the leveling change will shift some of that content into leveling content, so people get to experience the entirety of their chosen expansion before they’re shuffled into current content.

Personally, I would love to have scaling world quests available everywhere and not just in the most recent zones. I think it would help breathe life into older areas for people of all levels to have a reason to go to them. Like the Legion pre-patch invasions; I loved those, and I loved that players of all levels could participate.

2 Likes

Interactive stories are more applicable for Single Player Games. I dont think it’s applicable with MMOs. Like the Romance story of my Female Inquisitor character. All Female Inquisitors would be romancing the same NPC, Andronikos Revel. That’s corny. I enjoyed the Interactive Stories of Baldur’s Gate, Ultima Series… they are perfect for Single Player games.

I spent 2 years already on that expansion and you want me to do it all over again? There is timewalking to reminisce the past. I dont want to focus on stuffs I have already done. WoW Classic is arguably fun to put it back. But I dont want to stay there killing Ragnaros over and over again after killing him a billion times in Vanilla.

WoW is reinventing itself on every expansion. They are trying to make the game like a new game. We are done with tank and spank scenarios. Blizz upgrades the game with new mechanics. Some players may not like it. Me, who played every expansion since Vanilla, I dont mind them making new game mechanics. I enjoyed Legion’s Artifact Weapon System with its Legendary items. I am okay with BFA’s HoA Azerite traits though a bit boring at start when you only have 3 rings on Azerite pieces. Now there’s 6x Primary Azerite Traits, Essences and now Corruption gear. A bit complex for a new player… maybe a bit overwhelming but I love it.

You forgot that we are doing it on increasing difficulties. We are not doing LFR for 6 months. That’s boring. We are trying to reach the end game. Normal 5-man Dungeon is different from M+5, M+8, M+10 and M+15. How do other MMO’s do theirs? Same difficulty over and over?

They are not required. YOu can beat Mythic raiding skipping those as there are other alternatives to grind them. What so special with BFA is that there are multiple paths to reach your end goal. I even max’d out my HoA neck with half of the BFA season playing WoW Classic and max’d it out 2 months before the next patch. FYI, modern WoW is not grindy. Most are just frustrated becoz they want to get the pathfinder in a day or a week. It’s not like that. You just need 15 min everyday on daily quest and you could be revered in 2 weeks and exalted in 3 weeks without knowing that you have grinded it.

WoW is still arguably the best MMO right now (check the player population). There is no WoW killer MMO since WoW started 15 years ago. If you prefer SWTOR better, go play that game. You can never convince us that SWTOR is better than WoW.

1 Like

Yesuna, now say something negative about the game since all you’ve done for a solid year is white knight about the game and let us know how not bad and dead it is. The game isn’t nearly as not horrible as many of the you here make it out to be.

1 Like

You forget ppl aren’t allowed to post on alts in the forums. /s :rofl: :wink:

I prefer the straightforward kind of story where you don’t have to make decisions that require you to sacrifice some large element of gameplay or that change the overall story. Being forced to choose between outposts in WoD questing zones (or pay 5k gold each to play through both on a single character) and to choose between factions in BC Shattrath still annoys me.

1 Like

I think a new player would jump right in. Theres a chance that Mmorpgs arent new to them so they just level, go on wowhead or icyveins and figure out what to do. All the stories and lore is still there…why not?

Okay. It’s January 20th, 2020, my local time is 7:07AM.

I just got old. In an instant. I am now an old man.

1 Like

Being able to play in the older, sparsely populated zones without a bunch of max level players whizzing about them is nice. I’d prefer that they didn’t expand the WQ system to older zones unless it was completely toggleable like it is in Arathi Highlands and Darkshore.

That’s why I suggested some time back to streamline the 1-120 (now 50) game.

Remove most of the quests and pace it so 1-50 is still all the eras combined but the experience is like 2 weeks tops. Faster travel in each area, ditch the annoying gathering quests and focus 100% on the story driven quests so it’s at least more cohesive heading into Shadowlands.

Yea, I’m sure maybe 20 mogs out of hundreds make or break the game for new people.

I have yet to see a mmorpg where the main focus wasn’t end game.

i wouldnt play this game if i was a new player thats for sure.wow has the worst gearing system in any mmo i have seen.

a rng lootbox for gear upgrades on tuesday system…lmao.

1 Like

How can you even pretend to be able to do this ? The reason why you play the game and how you play it will influence what you think a new player would see.

I never did any of that when I was a new player. I started in Cata so I hated those dungeons, did very little raiding. Most of my time was spent on professions and making gold. I didn’t have any interest, whatsoever, in the story then or now.

Classic, I am sure there are plenty of others as well.

why do you jump on those who express themselves negatively about the game ??? if you don’t like these kind of threads…maybe ignore ? but stop trying to shut people up who want to express their issues with the game

1 Like