The WrA Video Game Thread

Idk why but I mistook that for hoi4 but big thank.

Obviously it would be titled Hordes of Iron in that case

Okay that’s a good one.

Outer Worlds is releasing soon, and when it was first announced I was super into it, but… I don’t know, dudes. With every new bit of information I’ve found myself less and less interested. Also, it’s an Obsidian game so I’m expecting it’s going to be borderline unplayable for, like, awhile. I’m gonna keep my eye on it, I guess

Phoenix Point is another game I was excited for, but it seems to have moved away from “post-apocalyptic cosmic horror XCOM” with every update. Now it’s just… XCOM. :confused:

2019 is a year of disappointment.

2020 might be more promising, though! Larian has moved more people onto Baldur’s Gate 3, and VTM: Bloodlines 2 is being delayed to give it more polish, so I’m hopeful.

4 Likes

Outer Worlds benefited from the negative reaction to Fallout 76. Now that time has passed and that negative reaction has become an old hat, Outer Worlds has to stand on merits beyond “Hey, you guys liked Fallout. We made Fallout.”

Sad to hear about Phoenix Point. Saw some Alpha footage and thought it really looked neat, but XCOM itself couldn’t hold my attention beyond a play through (And I still haven’t picked up the last DLC).

Really the only game left on my radar for this year is Pokemon: Shield. After that it’ll depend on what releases first - Total War: Troy or Bannerlord (I don’t do Early Access that often, but I’m making an exception for Bannerlord).

I love XCOM, but it’s already nailed the whole dudes in future armor shooting future guns at aliens thing, whereas Phoenix Point looked like it was going to be more gritty and horror-ish.

Compare this image from 2017 (or around there):

https://i.imgur.com/EiSfiMX.jpg

To this image that they’ve been plastering everywhere:

https://i.imgur.com/aqTfgHM.jpg

I have never seen such a sudden aesthetic shift/downgrade.

3 Likes

Second image brings to mind Planetscape. First image makes me think Call of Cthulu.

1 Like
1 Like

GimmeGimmeGimmeGimme

Complete sentences are for weaklings

Crusader Kings II is free to play

Other than WoW it is the game I’ve put the most hours of my life into

If you don’t like history just install the Guardians of Azeroth mod and write an alternate history where Illidan becomes king of Zandalar or something

2 Likes

So there have been rumblings of a new Okami game being a possibility and I loved that series so I hope it becomes more than just a twitter post.

CK2 is such a bonkers game that I absolutely adore. I still remember my first real game (when I finally figured out what I was doing) and how that went so catastrophically wrong.

Protip - whatever you do, don’t land your heirs. Especially not when you have two other sons and you decided to train the youngest in Espionage. Two mysteriously dead sons later, and Mr. Spy gets himself captured in battle without having a child and he’s held by his rival who has zero interest in ransoming him out.

Meanwhile, the daughter you so foolishly married to the King of Aragon, seeing your successors are all dead or in prison, decides to press her claim which ends with you having to behead her after the second time she tries to invade.

And that was just the first thirty years.

2 Likes

My first game was as King of Ethiopia and I died in the manure inn plot, always a classic.

Then I spent a while using console commands to kill the leaders of neighboring countries because I was scared of them (which, of course, does almost nothing to weaken non-gavelkind realms)

Ahh, memories of more innocent times before I became a jaded experienced CK2 player making weird pagan merchant republics in sri lanka

2 Likes

I was so upset when Paradox turned Iceland into a Theocratic holding, totally deep sixing my “Iceland in India” idea.

It is still tribal in 867

Ah. I only play Charlemagne start.

But then again, I’m also the madman that actually likes the Sunset Invasion DLC because let’s be honest, late game Western Europe gets soul crushingly boring. An invading Aztec Army spices things up nicely.

and if you don’t like history OR strategy games why not just use it as a warcraft dating simulator for all your questionable pairings

1 Like

The first thing I’ll do is dispose of Malfurion.

5 Likes

Probably won’t be too hard because in my experience Kalimdor is usually a nightmare of murder in the mod due to the Legion invasion at Hyjal and Qiraji invasion from Silithus being really strong.

These wars are tough when you don’t have 40 man groups of gear obsessed nerds solving everything for you

2 Likes

ok well maybe Malfurion isn’t so easy to kill because I tried to get him killed by antagonizing powerful characters into dueling him but it turns out Archdruids are strong

1 Like