The World of Warcraft Forums should use BattleTags as well

They could I’m sure, but that’s so easy to bypass anyway. A simple VPN and you’re back. I know they can also do hardware bans, but again, those can be bypassed from what I understand.

That said, I know I’ve seen them shut down spam accounts with great success too. How they do it and prevent the account/spammer from continuing, that’s beyond me.

4 Likes

Didn’t Blizzard say that about Classic WoW a while back?

2 Likes

This. They are switching to sock puppet alts spewing out the same garbage they said on their last sock puppet. They are baiting you to upset you and get this thread closed.

4 Likes

I genuinely wouldn’t put that much effort into my responses to bad faith actors. Nothing they say is genuine and they are just gonna turn around and spew lies and nonsense somewhere else as if your conversation never happened. You aren’t telling them anything they don’t already know.

+1 for btags.

4 Likes

Those are much easier to bypass for forum trolling than for getting back into the game. VMs have a much easier time running web browsers than they do running full 3d game clients without a specialized configuration

2 Likes

They’ve also specifically said that they want to change how the forums work, it’s just a matter of getting things reworked/updated on the back end, which takes time.

"[The normal functionality of the forums allow for a single user to post from an account. This is how all of our other game forums work (i.e. Overwatch, StarCraft, Diablo, etc…). That is the original functionality.

The World of Warcraft forums have always allowed player to post using their characters, showing their class, realm, link to their achievements and experience, etc… When we were switching to a new forum system we wanted to retain that functionality, because that is how it has always worked. Unfortunately, the default functionality of the system did not allow for it, so some tweaks needed to be made to allow it for WoW.

It works, but there are limitations in it that has been less than stellar.

That has provided feedback both internally and externally, which will eventually see some changes to help resolve those issues. It is not a simple task though, it takes time.](https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/the-forum-still-allow-sock-puppeting/1249307/6)

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/the-forum-still-allow-sock-puppeting/1249307/6

While it’s not an explicit “We are implementing Btags on the forums”, Blizz employees have confirmed that the current functionality of the forums allowing sockpuppeting and creating pervasive problems with trolling and moderation are known issues and solving those issues somehow are on their radar.

9 Likes

Morning peeps!

B-Tags for the forums!

:dracthyr_nod:

6 Likes

People don’t do it to bypass forum actions, people go on alts to avoid vindictive trolls,

Look we can sit here and whine all we like about how some idiot online offended us by saying crap, but my moral code is that only if Blizzard says it’s not allowed, and get a post removed does it mean anything, we get a LOT of freedom on this forum that we don’t in other game forums, and that should be celebrated,

Here is the thing, I LOVE FF14, but in recent times people are starting to say something is not quite right, something is missing from it, that it’s not what it used to be, problem is I can’t go onto the FF14 forum to relay why people are thinking that way as it’s not worth going there to say anything,

So we can sit here and whine all the time about some idiot that offended us on the forum, but the reality is that many of the pro-taggers aren’t just talking about obvious troll threads, one person even complained about someone saying the warrior class was bad while he was posting on a DK, I mean how in the world is a post like THAT more offensive then being a homophobe,

Also I’ve seen the OP that started this fiasco slip up twice already, the first time making that stupid statement ‘I’m going to do something I regret,’ which is pretty hypocritically when people have been preaching to me like it’s Sunday School, then later on they admitted that they copped almost as many suspensions from a…certain place…that I have (we not allowed to talk about forum action btw)

The fact is, if you don’t like people acting a certain way, then be that change you want to see, for me the most important qualities a human can have is being a forgiving, receptive and open minded,

I also I do apologize for my political ranting about how I see pro-taggers as ‘too woke’, another guy said the same thing I did, but understand the context of what people are talking about when they say ‘too woke’ what they actually mean is that while some causes are just (women’s rights, black people’s rights and so on) but what I meant by that is this,

The pro-taggers are so fanatical in their position they see people on the opposing side as somehow asleep and stupid, that if we disagree with their position we are either trolls or just ignorant, can you imagine if a husband said that to his wife that he’s right and she’s wrong end of story, you would literally call that gaslighting and being emotionally abusive,

I would argue that those on the opposing anti-tag side have been gaslighted, people don’t seem to get it through their heads that people on wow they decide they don’t like you DO stalk you on alts and are nasty to you…and I know women on this forum hate me speaking for them I do remember they said that, but reality is, there are toxic males out there that WILL stalk women if women reject them, I mean do you all remember that Steve and Jane thread, imagine if Jane could see that guy’s btag and she read all that dirty laundry about her, at least as things stand now the guy that had the crush on Jane could come on here to get advice on how to NOT be a creeper

I’m pretty sure it’s your trolling and the ignorance that have helped people form their opinions on you, and not your anti btag stance. But pop off.

Nothing you say is honest anyway.

2 Likes

That’s an objectively untrue statement for the most part. I’d go so far as to say that most people switch alts “just because” - they want to show off transmog, or make a funny comment that’s funnier coming from that alt, etc.

Then there’s people who switch alts in bad faith to support their own arguments, repeatedly flag people and repeatedly upvote themselves. That’s likely the second-biggest group.

Then there’s people who switch alts specifically to evade ignores and troll. Fortunately it’s not super common, but it has only taken a handful of very dedicated people to throw the forums into occasional chaos that the moderators took literal years to get effectively stopped.

Escaping from some kind of perceived persecution is likely pretty low on the ‘reasons’ list for posting with new alts. I’m not going to say that it doesn’t happen, but it requires that someone have something of an overdeveloped persecution complex in many scenarios which is fortunately somewhat rare.

Fortunately, most people here just don’t care enough about the other people who post here to stalk and harass them, but that’s already fully possible when using Charactername-servername and the Armory (which, yes, can be accessed for people even if they block their profile, it just makes it so that you need to go there manually instead of having an easy link from someone’s post).

If there had been even one valid point made by the people who are hyperventilating about the “dangers” of using Btags on the forums that wasn’t thoroughly, painstakingly explained and debunked with vastly more patience than was warranted five thousand six hundred posts into this thread, people would be more inclined to listen. You guys keep coming up with wild new theoretical scenarios, and we keep pointing out that it doesn’t work like that, but hey…maybe you’ll come up with a valid point at some point. It could happen.

In the meantime, you four to five people keep having circular pity parties about how downtrodden you are by us meanies. Which, you know, if that’s what you want to spend your energy doing you do you, but all you’re doing at this point is bumping the post count by giving us new discussion topics that only further highlight how badly a change to the forums is needed.

15 Likes

You can’t debunk anecdotal evidence it’s literally impossible

I haven’t even seen a genuine anecdote. Just theoretical, hypothetical situations that represent extreme edge cases.

5 Likes

So you are dismissing the people that have been stalked and harassed on certain alts on this forum and in game etc as only a bunch of ‘extreme cases’

Not worth the effort.

Servers are going down. Time for another cup of coffee.

4 Likes

If the deal is sealed with Microsoft, changes will be made. We the consumer don’t get a say in it otherwise.

It’s supposed to happen this year sometime if it happens.

So if Microsoft is successful, they will change the forums to their desire.

But as you said if people think it’s not going happen, there is no reason to protest.

If people were harassed and stalked on this forum as they exist now, then it happened without Btags. Using Charactername-servername and the Armory.

12 Likes

Not to mention, if this were true, those people shouldn’t continue to actively engage with their perceived harassers.

Which is not what is happening here.

5 Likes

Correct, this is happening without forum Btags.

5 Likes

It’s been 404d now, but the guy who started the other thread admitted to doing exactly this.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t bother talking to her at this point, if she’s going to keep bringing up poltics and bigotry to just stir up drama.

7 Likes