The World of Warcraft Forums should use BattleTags as well

lmao…about 80% or so of my posts are responded to by posters i at least had the common courtesy to tell them they were being ignored.
So by your logic they are demanding my attention? lol

so youre saying anyone who ive ignored that responds to me is ‘sad’ ?
the double standard on this forum is palpable, lol. One can almost taste and feel it.

Yes, they do. And they think that people are flagging all their posts in mass. What they don’t realize is that only the most egregiously offensive posts have been flagged.

They will never be able to reflect on their own behavior, because everything is a conspiracy against them.

I’d say you aren’t missing much but its funny to read.

4 Likes

Honestly I rarely see flagged posts in this thread, from either side. I think one of Yzer’s was flagged, or at least it looked that way on mobile about an hour ago when I was still at work - but idk the contents, didn’t bother opening it to see. But that’s like… incredibly rare, tbh.

Most of us just seem to put people on Ignore, which is honestly the more mature alternative to flagging or reporting, imo.

Aye. Even if stuff gets flagged, it only stays gone if it was genuinely breaking ToS. The flag itself is just an automatic thing when x amount of ‘people’ (read: alt characters, more often than not) hit a flag button on it. They get reviewed by actual humans after, though, and if they’re not against CoC in any way, they get restored.

Yeah, they strike me as similar to Lil in that regard. Just far more taken to ranting and throwing fits. Lil just brings up weirdly personal issues that no one asked about or wanted to hear.

:dracthyr_lulmao:

I can only imagine the absolute clownery it must be, for someone to continuously respond and quote a person who never gives them the time of day. It’d reek of desperation if it wasn’t just so silly.

Goodness, all I can think is T must REALLY hate me in particular. Don’t know what the odd fixation is on quoting someone who has them Ignored and not only can’t see what they post, but doesn’t have any intention of responding to them. But it’s certainly tomfoolery, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Flags also have different weights depending on the trust level of the person(s) flagging them, and Discourse has a system setup where a certain weight threshold needs to be met before a post is hidden.

For instance a trust level 2 member may only have 2 weight*, whereas a trust level 3 member may have a 5 weight* for their flags (*these are made up values I am using as an example).

If the threshold is set to 8*, it would take 4 trust level 2 member reports to hide a post - but only 2 trust level 3 reports to hide a post.

Flags that reach the threshold are given more priority in the moderation queue (alerts that the mods of Discourse forums get to flagged posts) than flags that do not meet the threshold.

Flag bombing (while a real problem) on alts isn’t something that is likely happening here. What is more likely is that one or 2 people with a high trust level flagged the post(s) in question and because they were so quickly hidden, they believe they are being flag bombed, when in reality that’s probably not the case.

Source: https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-happens-when-you-flag-a-post/275 and https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116

you mean like the fit tossing over pointless Btags and flag bombing anyone who disagrees?
The RESTORED posts in here prove that some of you are using the flag, not to report actual violations, but as your down vote.
it should be punishable…and looking at the rules for the forum, actually is, though I dont see anyone being held accountable for it when they participate in flagging posts that dont break any rules.

Blizzard has been very clear that unless it’s one person switching alts to flag something multiple times and artificially hide the post or make it seem like the community strongly objects to something when it’s really just one person, they don’t consider there to be such a thing as “false” flagging.

They don’t want to discourage people from reporting things that might be borderline or a judgment call, and threatening to action people for “false” reports would stop people from reporting legitimate stuff that needs action for fear that they’d be punished if their judgment was wrong.

There’s a lot of good information in this thread: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/falsely-flagged-topics-and-they-were-deleted-for-no-reason-no-consequences-for-me/

Also important there is how the moderator “didn’t notice” that the flags came from the same account. Having Btag posting would make it very simple for the forum mods to see that posts, or flags, or likes, were all coming from one place so that they could apply the appropriate penalties.

The only thing that a “false” flag does is bring a post to the mods’ attention. Then a person looks at it, decides if the post should stay, and decides if the person who posted it deserves a penalty. Some posts might get removed because they’re unproductive but the poster might not get an action because they didn’t break any rules specifically. If the post is fine, on-topic, and has no rules violations then it gets unhidden and stays, and nothing happens to you.

9 Likes

Absolute nonsense.
I was actioned a long while back for literally using the word ‘hell’. And not as in ‘go to’ but as in a benign ‘what the hell’
A forum search revealed nearly 250,000 occurrences of ‘hell’ at that point, MANY of which were used in the exact manner I used them.
Yet they all were allowed to remain, while mine was deleted and upheld.

So dont give me this joke that this forum is unbiased and only actual violations are removed.
‘trolling’ is as vague a word as words can get…and the most abused ‘violation’ on this forum

Not only that, but part of the idea behind battle tags would be that the pool of flags would be attached to the battle tag, not the character. So a single account flagging the same post multiple times would no longer be possible.

5 Likes

I thought they said they had this topic on mute? But then they also said they didn’t support Battle Tags, then they did, then they didn’t. At least when I could see some of their posts that was what I could glean from it.
I have at least 2 people who posted here regularly on ignore. I used to see that they posted but now I don’t even see an option for that anymore.
I’d say that’s an improvement on the forum.

1 Like

People say a lot of things despite doing the opposite. Lil keeps saying she’s leaving, only to show up again on an alt in under 24 hours.

I just don’t take bad faith actors and trolls at their word. They very rarely live up to it.

5 Likes

Im sure they dont…which means that if a group of certain persons who all agree on a topic wanted to…they could just group together and flag posts they dont like…ie, cant refute…and get that post looked at by a moderator…who now uses their own discretion (and personal bias) to determine if it violates the rules or not.

precisely why ‘trolling’ is a hoax.
ANYTHING is ‘trolling’ if enough screams are tossed at it and a moderator doesnt want to do their job of actually reading what is going on.

And so the gang flagging abuse is enabled and encouraged.
My forums have very few rules.
one of the bigger ones is to ignore someone who annoys you. Suspensions are real for using the report button as a downvote…which is an epidemic on this particular forum.

you mean like persons who talk about transparency who then have their own profile hidden?
or like those who condemn alt hopping then alt hop themselves to try to force interaction?
Because your side has done both.

Ok, I agree with that…BUT…YOU dont need to SEE OUR btags for that to be a thing.
I know that. You know that.

There they go again.

I must’ve ticked off T at some point outside of this thread and can’t recall, because man they sure seem zero’d in on quoting me despite me not giving them any direct responses or discussion. :dracthyr_crylaugh:

1 Like

I have never seen this written in any of the Blue posts explaining this forum.
I’m not saying you’re wrong but I also know from Blue posts that they aren’t using all of the options discourse has available.

2 Likes

They realized after they muted every thread and put everyone on ignore that the forums were a very boring place for them, and alas, here we are.

They threaten to mute and ignore everything but don’t actually stick to it.

4 Likes

Ill point out once more than you are accusing YOUR own in here lol.
MOST of my posts above were being responded to by 1…upwards of half a dozen of you who I INFORMED were ignored. lol
If My responding to your comments is an issue, then so are theirs aimed at me.
But we wouldnt want to have any semblance of unbiased equality in the way we deal with the rules here, now would we :wink:

They use the guidelines that Blizzard gives them to decide whether a post needs to stay or not, and if the person who posted it should get dinged for it. I imagine if it’s like any other moderation job anywhere else there’s probably an escalation process for a second set of eyes if they’re not sure if something goes against the guidelines they have or not. It doesn’t sound like they have a whole lot of wiggle room for personal interpretation, it sounds like they’ve got a set of internal policies handed down from above that they apply.

We’re not on your forums.

6 Likes

This is an automatic system built into Discourse software itself, and it cannot be disabled.

The algorithm that is used to determine whether or not a post will be hidden is somewhat complex. It’s goal is to make sure that posts flagged by users with a good record of flagging are hidden, but to prevent posts that are flagged maliciously from being hidden. The system will learn over time as more posts on your site are flagged and as flags are handled by your site’s staff.

:person_raising_hand: Is there a way to turn off this algorithm?

There isn’t a way to turn it off, but you can tweak how it works through your site’s settings. To see all site settings related to flags, enter the text flag into your site’s settings search box. The relevant settings are in the section outlined below.

They use personal bias as Ive pointed out above with my one vacation and post removed.

We are ALL biased. Getting around our biases and doing whats right and equitable…fair for all…is the trick.

Clearly.
Because I try to be fair and balanced to my members.