The Winter Queen and Elune

Going into Shadowlands a lot of people were wondering if the Winter Queen might be our elusive moon goddess, but we discover through during the final cinematic within Ardenweald that a certain someone (spoilers for those who aren’t there) falls under the sway of the Winter Queen’s sister.

I feel like this implies that there’s a lot more to Ardenweald than just a single ruler. Perhaps she is the Winter Queen because she safeguards the realm while it undergoes a withering / winter period where anima supplies are starved. But as the ‘cycle’, as they refer to it, comes back around to a time of abundance, the ruling of the realm switches to another. Perhaps a Summer Queen, or a King of Spring? The Autumn Prince?

Thoughts?

2 Likes

The winter court in this case references Ardenweald being “winter”. It is a time and place of rest and recuperation for the spirits of nature. The opposite would be in the plane of life, and presumably would be the monarch of summer.

6 Likes

Her sister is probably someone from a cosmic plane of Life. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the Emerald Dream retconned to being a realm within this Life plane, same as Ardenweald is within the Shadowlands.

(note that I would hate this, but I wouldn’t be surprised).

3 Likes

Didn’t bother reading since I am already going to assume the mistake that was made.

No, Elune and the Winter Queen are not sisters. It’s Eonar that is her (Winter Queen) sister.

Eonar is who empowered Ysera. Eonar is who chose Ysera to become the Green Dragon Aspect. Eonar is also hinted at further by the legendary you get from the Night Fae.

12 Likes

Eonar is a Titan, a being of Order. A being of the Arcane.

Just because a being of Order can manipulate another element that does not make them of that realm. Khaz’goroth and Aggramar are not on the side of Disorder and the Legion just because they work with fire.

Ysera and a proto version of the Emerald Dream existed before the Titans even discovered the planet.

Eonar never interacted with Ysera a single time, Freya did so empowered by Eonar.

The Shadowlands is opposite the Emerald Dream on the cosmology chart, its also shared with the Wild Gods and part overall of the Nature circle.

Whose fingerprints are all over Nature, the Wild Gods, and the Emerald Dream much more than Eonar? Elune. Whether its her and Ysera, her and Malorne, her and Cenarius, her and the Night Elves society in general, her and the Emerald Dream, Elune is all over that part of the cosmology chart more than any other part of it.

Furthermore she literally intervenes to save Ysera’s spirit and personally deliver it to the Shadowlands, which much more easily explains why the Winter Queen would call her a “pet” more than Eonar. Eonar has virtually no connection with any of these themes outside of the very beginning of their origins.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the Eternal Ones, of whom the Winter Queen is one of, are directly stated to be older than the Titans.

Who else has been heavily suggested to be older than the Titans by recent lore? Elune in Legion.

Hell Eonar is HIDING on a planet named after Elune in Legion trying to not be found by Sargeras.

39 Likes

Necroxis coming in WITH RECIEPTS!

Sorry ‘lore’ you got out-lored by someone who clearly know what they are talking about. The only way he can be wrong here is if the WoW writers have completely no idea what their own lore says and fks it all up in future reveals, which you know what… that’s entirely possible.

8 Likes

Also can I just say, and I know this isn’t any logical argument, but Eonar is just boring.

Everything about Elune is so much more interesting than the only female Titan who becomes the macguffin for a patch and then goes back into irrelevance once the patch is over.

For at least the short term, the Titans and the Legion are dealt with. Perhaps one day they’ll bring them back, but randomly introducing this idea of a ‘sister’ of the Winter Queen and then tying it to Eonar, who has no relevance in the story whatsoever, seems shoddy and confusing storytelling. Because even if Eonar IS the sister, what does that matter? Eonar is locked away with the rest of the Pantheon imprisoning Sargeras, unable to be involved in whatever is going on currently in the story.

Elune is already involved in the Shadowlands through Ysera, Tyrande, and the Night Warrior couple, so she’s thematically appropriate to fill that role, even if you ignore all the other arguments I made earlier.

Honestly we just need a conversation between Tyrande and the Winter Queen and I think we’ll see who the sister really is.

5 Likes

Didn’t even need to read all of that, the first few sentences showed you didn’t know what you were talking about.

Not really, he wasn’t speaking a single bit of truth.

How would you know that considering you didn’t read it?

3 Likes

Imagine being proud to say, “HAHAH I DIDN’T READ IT THEY’RE STILL WRONG!”

Yikes.

29 Likes

I think there are several hints that it is someone of a life realm, if not Eonar or Freya. One is that emphasis is placed on Ysera’s eyes. While she was “of the WQ’s sister” , her eyes were green but being bound to Ardenweald her eyes are now the same color as theirs.
Lady Moonberry also states that “what is of emerald” must not be lost, implying that Ysera’s ties are to the emerald dream.
Lastly, someone already talked about the item you get from the Night Fae that implies an Eonar connection.

My idea is that both the Winter Queen and Eonar were once Titans of life, but the Winter Queen was asked to take up her role in the Shadowlands just like Sire Denathrius, or she died and wound up there to become the ruler. It is possible both have a connection to Elune.

4 Likes

Finally someone with a brain

One thing I did notice that made me go “hmmm…” was how The Winter Queen reconstituted Ysera was what Elune did in reverse. She is also holding the EXACT SAME POSE she did at the moment of death. That is not by happenstance.

https://i.gyazo.com/129c9755bce8c2a5e021385b6588636e.jpg
https://i.gyazo.com/d4acfbf7bc19d46732035fe0657e8abc.jpg

So perhaps it cost Elune a lot to purify Ysera’s spirit, reclassify her as a Wild God, and send her off to Ardenweald.

Then it cost The Winter Queen a lot to reform her.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s def Eonar given she was the one who took Ysera and made her into a Dragon Aspect from a Protodragon and empowered her and gave her the charge. Ysera is materially Eonar’s “pet”, Eonar’s experiment, of Eonar’s power.

Maybe it’s a still-unseen member of the Life Pantheon, but doubt it.

It’s probably Eonar.

Disappointing maybe, but it’s probably her.

Definitely not Elune as she’s probably going to be elevated to the rank of First One, lest the Night Elf playerbase burn Blizz HQ to the ground.

3 Likes

Eonar and Ysera do not interact a single time. There’s no evidence that Eonar cares or shows any deference to her, not even as a “pet.” I don’t get how people just ignore how the Winter Queen could view Elune literally intervening to save Ysera’s spirit as somehow her favoring her. She uses the word ‘pet’ very derisively so you could just as easily see Ysera as just one of Elune’s favored creatures. Which fits just as well.

Freya with Eonar’s power is the one that makes Alex and Ysera become Dragon Aspects.

Eonar has had no involvement with the Emerald Dream whatsoever, nor the Wild Gods, and the only thing relating her and Ysera is the very first thing that happens. Every other interaction involves Elune.

Eonar is so completely uninvolved with Ysera that its confusing people keep insisting its her and just ignoring that the entire dichotomy of what they’re doing with the visuals and symbolism are opposites sides of a cosmic force and the Titans are definitely not that, even if one of them can manipulate life energy.

17 Likes

I do not think Elune need be a First One, though they would have a lot of explaining to do with her interactions with so many cosmic forces.

“True God” is pretty vague. You can argue the Winter Queen is a “True God” of death

If it is Elune, I am sort of disappointed the Winter Queen does not scrunch her nose at my Kaldorei. In any event I suspect it will be definitively answered in the Shadowlands chronicle-style lore book.

I have a theory on this. Elune was involved in the creation of Eonar and WQ, Elune decided to send WQ to the Shadowlands something that WQ didn’t like. Maybe WQ is the older sister and Elune made her more physically like her.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter.

Eonar is the source of her power. Literally the one that empowered her.

Elune being reduced to Winter Queen’s sister would mean she’s part of a Pantheon, ie the Titan Of Blank, which is 100% not something Blizzard is going to do, what with the First Ones being introduced as the shapers of existence.

2 Likes

The Elune is a True God quote comes in context of a question as to whether Elune was a Titan or something.