The War Within Alpha

I guess this is what happens when AI goes wild and rolls its caravan into MG - Goldshire.

1 Like

FINALLY.
/this is a complete sentence

1 Like

What is with Blizz and destroying cities players love for no reason?

2 Likes

Because they can’t figure out a way to sell how serious a threat is without violently upsetting the player base with needless destruction of a beloved location or race.

On another note, it seems this ‘Arathai Empire’ is not the most friendly place and might have issue with our Non-Light races. So Orcs, Trolls, Sin’dorei, Forsaken, Worgen, Goblins, Dark Irons, Shal’dorei, Ren’dorei and Pandaren might be getting the cold shoulder at best. Its still very much an Alpha-Build comment or seven from the NPCs, but it appears that unless you’re Human, High Elf or Half-Elf, the Arathai Empire is not the most accommodating place to live …

5 Likes

Just pointing out that this now marks yet another historically Alliance city that is destroyed for the sake of the narrative.

I suppose I should be grateful it’s just Dalaran and they didn’t go with “Ironforge was flooded with Lava, now the Dwarves are refugees with the Gnomes and are working together to retake Gnomergon”.

1 Like

Replying to myself, but it looks like this “story mode” will actually be just a scenario where you run and and delete the final boss, not the co-op full raid clear that I was hoping for. Unless I have misread this blue post.

So in essence it is a slightly more interactive “click here” button to see the ending cenimatic.

Shame on me for getting my hopes up. Should have known better.

Oh and also, it’s going to be released along side the final wing of LFR. So you know… weeks after its already been spoiler’d on YouTube.

Honestly, I’m fine with it. Keeps LFR relevant while also catering to old geezers like myself who just no longer have the time or energy for Raiding and just want to get on with the damn story.

2 Likes

Yoi can just choose to not watch it on YouTube till you clear it in Story Mode.

As far as it only for the final boss maybe it’s that way but they need to provide more details to be sure.

My disappointment is less about the spoilers (I am use to the internet) they’re gunna happen, and more to do with it being just the last boss. I was very much looking forward to being able to co-op run the new raids with my wife and just avoid Normals and LFR all together. We’ve never been overly concerned about gear we just like running content as a duo.

1 Like

On the one hand, it’s pretty bitter to find out the severe limitations on story mode. It’s going to be broken-down out of the gate and doesn’t even seem to serve a purpose.

On the other hand, creating a feature that’s barely a feature that will require pointless effort to keep functional is peak Blizzard. We are so back.

4 Likes

To me it simply sounds like Blizzard is trying to make their game and the main story arcs more accessible to the larger audience. I think about those early days when raids took weeks to plan out, long+ hours to run, and several tries. That was a lot of wasted time that I’ll never get back. Anyway, that’s just adult me looking back fondly at younger me and chuckling at him.

Cheers.

4 Likes

I’d still raid. I just literally don’t have time. I never felt like I wasted it, but the time sink nowadays is unreasonable. Even if it was one night a week, I don’t think I’d want to commit to a schedule. My work schedule can have me at 10+ hours a day at any given day, so I certainly wouldn’t want to sit down and raid for hours after that. I don’t think I’d have the mental capacity:

Raid lead: Kirsy, get out of the fire!
Me with no spoons: Huh? Looks down Oh.
Dead

2 Likes

The list of things that would cause me to finally quit this game is short.

THIS would cause me to quit.

I am often the only person in IF at times but it’s always been where I hung all my hats in the game.

5 Likes

I like the idea of Ironforge, and dwarves in general… but I feel like IF would be hot. Uncomfortably hot. I don’t do well in heat. I dry out like old jerky. It’s not pleasant.

3 Likes

I would say yes. I suspect it feels a lot like standing on the tracks of the Hudson line in Grand Central.

2 Likes

A misty image of the gnomecorder back in the cemetery near Lakeshire rustles him awake. He snaps his fingers as he thinks to himself

“Aye! Could tha answer have been under me beard all this time?! I wonder if somebody back there, could hear me from this strange version of Pandaria, through one of those good ol’ reliable gnomish devices?”

(( I would help Norman retake Gnomeregan if Blizzard ever flooded IF with lava or the Kool Aid Man ever brought it down. ))

1 Like

I mean, Ironforge suffering damage like an earthquake or magma flow and then Blizzard using that as an excuse, with the Dark Irons using their connection to fire and stone to reshape and expand parts of the damaged sections into their type of structures, while any damages to the actual mountain could be used by the Wildhammers to build a new rookery onto and into the damaged mountain.

1 Like

You trust Blizzard to get it right?

I used to be annoyed that they often forget Gnomes were even in the game, let alone a playable race.

As time went by, I’m really glad they ignore us for the most part. Less chance they will mess up my favorite race.

4 Likes

Ha, NO.

/ten characters

3 Likes

Really if we want dark iron presence it’d be cool to leave ironforge the same and just add a sub-sub-basement where the dark irons live. Suits them to rule over the deepest, darkest dwarf holdings

1 Like