The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Entirely agree with you. Really hope they reconsider that change.

3 Likes

I recall that a Dragon Men race of some sort was rumored to be considered for the Alliance side for Cataclysm. I assume it would be something like these guys:

Not sure if you meant them or the different dragon aspects.

Anyway, Iā€™d be fine with it. Iā€™d finally get my playable Horde Ogres, though in terms of reptilian races, my heart will always belong to Horde Saurok. Still, Iā€™d be fine with dragons or dragonkin or what have you on the Alliance side. Iā€™d likely create one to check them out.

One of my favorite characters I had in Everquest 1 was an Ogre Berserker. I really loved to RP-talk as him, and playing a raging, angry Ogre was so much fun.

Iā€™ve actually reserved his name to hopefully recreate him in WoW as a Fury Warrior. Hopefully, I can do that somedayā€¦

I actually wanted to put the Japanese Ogre emoji in the title of this megathread, only to have an angry message pop up telling me I couldnā€™t put emoji in the title. A shame, as they both add character to the megathread and makes them more noticable.

Thankfully, my Saurok megathread is still able to keep its emoji in the title, even if I edit the post. I assume itā€™ll stay there unless I try to change the title of itā€¦or the forums undergo more changes.

Dream big, Ogre fans! :japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

Damn, Maldraxxan ladies are absolute beefcakes.

I think the ideal option would be to have two customization tabs for heads, with the first option in the second tab being a ā€œSecond Head: Yes/Noā€ choice, followed by the options you get for the first head.

Hopefully we would also have one-eyed face options, although that would probably break goggles and helmets with over-the-eye parts and effects.

5 Likes

Yup, thatā€™s the guys I was thinking of. They are always called something different in every game, lol. Thanks.

And the only name I reserved that is for an ogre that has been from some other source is Hidetsugu from MTG which is saved on Mokā€™nathal. All my other reserved names are my own.

1 Like

Right? Theyā€™re huge. The top of my humanā€™s head is just below the top of that thigh plate. Soooā€¦around 12+ft tall if a human male is 6ā€™

1 Like

Nice post Bagzak :slight_smile:

voicing my support for Ogres to be added as playable race

11 Likes

Good to see this thread is getting responses! One day soon enough weā€™ll get those playable Ogres!

Also @Warsnarl; I wasnā€™t sure what exactly was going on with Allied Races post BfA but what youā€™ve said does seem about right. Hopefully weā€™ll see some new addition some time during the expansion.

ā€¦and I hope itā€™s Ogres. Need Ogres.

12 Likes

Welp, the prepatch is going live tomorrow. The downtime is estimated at roughly 8 hours, assuming there is no extended maintenanceā€¦or the dreaded extended extended maintenance. A lot of big changes are coming, so hopefully the prepatch launch will go smoothly for everyone.

Something I do need to gradually do is to go through all my posts in the old Ogre megathread and relook at things Iā€™ve discussed before or shared. Looks like I had about 210 posts, so it may take a bit for me to go through all of them.

One thing that I did post awhile ago there was that Ogres did have a Heart of Azeroth animation, which I took using the Glyph of Disguise and an Ogre from WoD. I took several images, which didnā€™t have the best of lighting sadly, to try and take as many angles as I could.

Iā€™ll go ahead and reshare them here:

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Image 5:

Image 6:

Now, the thing to keep in mind is that Ogres share a skeleton and animations with some moonkin forms, so itā€™s possible this was a result of that as opposed to Ogres being planned during BfA. Then again, maybe it could be a thing they did in case they did make Ogres playable in the futureā€¦wishful thinking, but hey, a Darkspear Troll can dream, canā€™t he?

Regardless, itā€™s still a neat thing to see and share, even if it might not mean too much in the end.

9 Likes

It looks promising to me.

2 Likes

Pantheon rise of the fallen MMO is introducing ogres as playable race.

Just a heads up for those who didnā€™t hear about it.

The MMO is inspired from Everquest.

6 Likes

Indeed! It seems like theyā€™re more like the Orcs in WoW, only more angrier and warlike from the looks of it, as opposed to being big and dumb like the Ogres in WoW.

The official Pantheon website does have a section for them, along with showing off a female Ogre there as well:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/races/ogres/

And their class selection, assuming nothing changes when it launches:

Dire Lord
Druid
Shaman
Warrior

A bit odd to see Ogre Druids there, but as I said, they seem to be much different than what youā€™d usually see in terms of Ogres in a fantasy setting.

Iā€™ll have to keep an eye out on some Ogre creation videos for the game when it launches. Might give some neat WoW Ogre customization idea inspiration.

7 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if anyoneā€™s seen this card from Hearthstone, but it looks to be a female Ogre.

I suppose it could be a Mokā€™nathal or a particularly pale Fel Orc or Magā€™har, but I thought it was worth posting regardless for those interested.

8 Likes

I found the full artwork on a Heartstone wiki:

It came from here:

Apparently it comes from ā€œAshes of Outlandā€ card packs, so it is possible it is a female Fel Orc, especially since there are some spikes coming out of the shoulder (which I think is skin and not armor, but hard to tell). It would make some sense why it looks like theyā€™re battling what appears to be a female Tauren in what could be an Outlands area.

Still an awesome find, though. Thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Female ogres in full plate with a giant sword would beā€¦ Intimidating.

6 Likes

Top middle image is the closest I could find for that:

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/TotemicArmor.jpg

Good ole Everquest 1 classic graphics.

7 Likes

I think youā€™re right. To me that definitely looks like the spikes are coming out of the skin now that Iā€™m seeing it closer.

2 Likes

That versionā€¦the kultiran male/troll war mother animation rig would work quite well for that look.

5 Likes

I kinda hope they make a new rig and skelly for ogres. Based off, of course, current ogres.

7 Likes

Yeah, but itā€™d be more likely theyā€™d take something existing and use it if they didnā€™t put forth the additional effort of customizing it a fair bit, kinda like the Zandalari.
Going the Zandalari route might be the best route as youā€™d get something a bit different without the massive time sink of having to make something all new.
The existing Ogre animation rig is alright, but I feel a fair bit lacking. I wonder how hard itā€™d be to update it compared to taking something like the Kultiran rig and making it feel a bit different like with the Zandalari. Probably a lot less time seeing as how the Kultirans were what held the Zandalari release back when they decided to release them together.

4 Likes

My own personal opinion is that the current male Ogre would work great as the playable male Ogre model and also gives Ogres some character with its animations. It has the majority of player animations, can ride mounts, and even its own dance. All it needs is some more animations added to it, the ability to add customization features, and the ability to add armor graphics, and Iā€™d be content with it.

Granted, Iā€™m no programmer, so I donā€™t know how easy that would be, and WoWā€™s programming code would likely send me screaming into the hills as I go insane just looking at it. Still, if it is possible, it would save Blizzard some money and resources by working with it.

6 Likes