The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

So there are Ogres in The War Within? If so, are they are friendly or hostile?

2 Likes

Not sure if they running around in the open world, but pretty sure I saw them as enemies in a dungeon!, While watching people playing Alpha. Iā€™ll rewatch some footage maybe it was Cinderbrew Meadery.

3 Likes

No, you will take your third low budget dwarf recolor and like it. -Blizzard.

1 Like

I wonder on the context of that. Like are they mercenaries or something.

3 Likes

If I were to guess, they may be part of an enemy Ogre clan that sailed there sometime ago. If theyā€™re part of some nefarious faction we have to deal with, then they could be acting as mercenaries or something. Otherwise, they could have their own territory and ambitions.

Makes me wonder if it increases the chances of seeing the AU Stonemaul Clan with the AU Magā€™har Orcs having a role in TWW. May as well get the MU Stonemaul Clan involved in that case, along with Megs Dreadshredder bringing the Dunemaul Clan to earn some brownie points.

ā€¦but of course, Iā€™ll keep my expectations tempered. I doubt weā€™ll make friends with this Ogre clan, but Iā€™ll keep an eye out and help report information on them as it becomes available. Ogre sightings would be good to report on in future expansions, even if they have nothing to do with the Horde Ogre clans.

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll double check, I could be so Ogre starved Iā€™m seeing things! :joy:

4 Likes

Reminder that they dropped female Dire Trolls before Ogres. Thereā€™s an argument to use the bodytype for females in my opinion.

Cataclysm Classic launches today, and while the Horde Ogre clan stuff is mostly in the old world (of Warcraft!) areas, I do recall a daily quest where a couple of friendly Ogres have a chance of helping with it:

Both Lunk and Mogā€™dorg the Wizened (Ogriā€™la) have a chance of coming to help. Oddly, the above link says that Lunk rides a hippogryph for some reason.

That is all I can remember when it comes to Ogre stuff in higher level Cataclysm areas, aside from enemy Ogres you beat up. But itā€™s still good to at least have the MU Stonemaul Clan and the Dunemaul Clan have at least a little bit of the spotlight, even if it is small. At least they can help remind Blizzard of the Horde Ogre clans. :smiley:

5 Likes

It has been awhile since we talked about our Ogre characters we want to make, so I figured I would have an updated discussion on it. Assuming we ever got playable Horde Ogres, what Ogre characters would you want to make?

I still have my one character slot reserved to hopefully make my male Ogre Fury Warrior with one head someday. He is based off my Ogre Berserker character from Everquest 1 and 2 and was a favorite character of mine to play. He was also very important to me and was a big motivation of making this megathread of course.

Iā€™ve always thought playable Horde Ogres were inevitable and dreamed of being able to make him in WoW. I will always have a character slot with his name reserved in case Ogres ever become a playable Horde race someday.

So what Ogre characters would everyone want to make with playable Horde Ogres?

4 Likes

Going to have an Ogre Mage. Hes the child ogre my magā€™har is watching over. My orc clan takes on orphans as new members and the mage ogre was one such orphan.

Also still going to have my Ogre Monk who is literally trying to find his own Ogriā€™la. He doesnā€™t particularly like the actual Ogriā€™la location in Blades Edge feeling more like heā€™d like to settle some place that isnā€™t slowly crumbling.

Iā€™m also still partial to my Ogre Death Knight (or Necromancer if they ever add that.) who served the Lich king even after being freed from his control at Lights Hope. (he fled after the battle to return) He was an ogre magi with two heads found in the ice in northrend when he was raised. Even his corpse didnā€™t have any memories of how it got there.

2 Likes

I got my name reserved for the day I can make an Ogre, however Iā€™m not 100% sure on what class to make. Iā€™m thinking of a warrior, but also thinking of trying out other classes I havenā€™t done yet, like a mage or monk.

3 Likes

Every ā€œGood Soloniusā€ in Spartacus - Definitive Edition (youtube.com)

This guy but bigger. Bonus points if I can make him with the perm

3 Likes

Ogre Shaman 100% for me, Iā€™m seriously all ready when they become available. Iā€™m just playing the waiting game in all honesty.

I got characters ready for Ogre, Tuskarr and Sethrak all ready to go, itā€™s a dream they ever become playable, but better to be ready just in case.

4 Likes

I have been wanting to make DOTA 2ā€™s Ogre Magi for almost 20 years now.

4 Likes

You want ogres? For almost 2 decades now? We hear you loud and clear! Dwarves 3.0 it is!

Seriouslyā€¦ make ogres playable. Itā€™s a core race of the Horde. Like wtfā€¦ is it with these devs?

4 Likes

Wowhead posted an article on the Earthen Allied Race starting area. Donā€™t worry, I wonā€™t talk about specifics to avoid spoilers, but for those interested, the article is here:

Without going into specifics, you get some brief flavor text with choices for your Earthen. It seems like it is more RP-oriented as opposed to anything lasting, but still interesting to see.

Itā€™s interesting to see an Allied Race get a bit of an expanded starting experience. It opens the door for some RP opportunities also. Makes me think that future Allied Races could get something similar. Possibly Core Races as well, though they could get their own starting areas like Dracthyr, Goblins, and Worgen did.

For Ogres, I expect them to be given more of the Core Race treatment as opposed to as an Allied Race. However, I could still see some similar RP flavor choices. One big one is where there would be multiple Horde Ogre clans that make up the playable Ogre faction, in which you could choose which of the clans your Ogre is from. Maybe there could be some neat questlines to go with that choice as well. Definitely some possibilities here!

As we get more Allied and Core Races in the future, Iā€™ll be sure to report on how their starting experiences are. Still hoping Horde Ogres will be among those future playable races someday! :pray:

6 Likes

I looked at a run of the Meadery. Looked like a lot of Venture Co. guys. I did see an ogre though. It was only one ogre, and he wasnā€™t a boss, but he was named. ā€œChefā€ something or other.

5 Likes

We could have a South Park reference with that. An Ogre for Chef, Orc child as Cartman, Nightborne child as Stan, Blood Elf child as Kyle, and a Vulpera child as Kenny.

3 Likes

Next monthā€™s Trading Post items are up! And Marrlok, the second Ogre battle pet, will be up for 500 tender!

The reward for doing enough tasks is this neat water gun toy:

Marrlok is the red Ogre child variant shown here:

Welp, I know what my first purchase will be! Iā€™ll be taking some screenshots too as I make the Mandalorian jealous! :smiley:

6 Likes

I wonder if weā€™ll get red Ogre adult variants.

5 Likes