The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Meanwhile Draenei will be stuck in BC :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it possible to get more allied races in this expansion, I really hope we will get more playable races.

5 Likes

Like wise I was so pumped for BlizzCon, but now very disappointed.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a little disappointed with the allied race. I hope we will get more allied race in this expansion. With the 3 expansions we will get I think itā€™s pretty safe to say we wonā€™t get Mokā€™Nathal and Vrykul. For Mogu I hope to get them soon. For the Broken I think we will get the Krokul for the Midnight expansion (even if I prefer the Broken). For the Last Titan expansion, maybe we will get Tuskarr and Taunka.

2 Likes

I kind of wonder if weā€™ll get those more humanoid Nerubian variant as the expansion unfolds.

6 Likes

The weird thing about Earthen being a neutral allied race is that they told us we would work to unite the Earthen together. So we meet them as a divided people, help them unite as one, and they divide themselves by joining the factions.

4 Likes

This is getting painful. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Ogres, a core race in the long history of Warcraft games OR another dwarf skin that wasnā€™t even the dwarf people were asking for (Wildhammer).

Disappointing.

PLAYABLE OGRE WHEN :japanese_ogre:

17 Likes

Had a bit of time to digest over the Earthen. Since I have a bit to say, Iā€™ll focus on it for this post and the rest of the stuff announced, along with topics like the allied race system, neutral races, and such Iā€™ll comment on in a later post.

Simply put: Iā€™m not particularly thrilled by the Earthen, and there are a number of issues that I have with them.

Let me be perfectly clear: I stated my expectation/hope for if we got new playable races was that any of them would be races people have been requesting. After all, several of them have been requested since the game actually launched, and with BfA, a lot of us have been submitting feedback regularly in support of them. Part of me was kinda expecting playable Neutral Tuskarr if we got any playable races if Iā€™m perfectly honest.

I also want to state that Iā€™m not against new races being created in general. A lot of races were at one point new to Warcraft in general. Vulpera, for example, had their own identity in looks and culture despite using Goblin animations, and NPC races that use skeletons like Sethrak, Saurok, Saberon, and so on would still be their own race if they became playable while utilizing models of other races.

Earthen as a wholeā€¦kinda bother me for several reasons. Iā€™ll try my best to explain how. Iā€™ll preface by saying this is all my own personal opinion and I say a lot of this out of frustration. Again, Iā€™m not salty because I didnā€™t get what I specifically wanted. That said, let me try to grumble grumble in some coherent way to convey how I honestly feel.

The biggest problem is that the Wildhammer Dwarves, who had importance to the Alliance since the RTS Warcraft days and has a statue in front of Stormwind, gets a PowerPoint slide reveal of Bronzebeards LARPing as them. Whereas this race race, that could just work as a Customization Race given how they look pretty much like edited Dark Iron Dwarves (about as lackluster as LF Draenei or HM Tauren), gets to be a full race.

Speaking of, races like Wildhammer Dwarves, Darkfallen, and Manā€™ari get slapped onto parent races as customization races while losing their identity in playable form, but Earthen get to be a completely separate playable race? Something feels really off on this thinking and is really making the already muddied waters even more muddied.

Furthermore, the idea that since BfA, weā€™ll be at 3 expansions since then with the newly announced expansion, and despite feedback of many races we want to see playable, it was somehow discussed and agreed upon to have a neutral race of Dwarves that, at least initially from what weā€™ve seen at the time of this post, donā€™t have a lot of visual differences over regular Dwarves and Dark Iron Dwarves. Again, something seems a bit off with priorities here.

And speaking of neutrality, Iā€™m not particularly fond of the idea of them being neutral, as weā€™ll be seeing Dwarves running around Orgrimmar. Especially since from the sound of it, their group is comprised of a few broken up factions that may come back together againā€¦only to break up more when joining the Horde and Alliance, and likely even more if there was ever a faction war again. At least with Void Elves, despite being a dubious choice for different reasons, fit with the Alliance since High Elves were and some still are part of that faction. Here, it just makes faction identity a lot weirder with the choice of letting them be on the Horde.

A lot of it strikes me as laziness and cost cutting to me. Some variants of existing races can work well to be different from Core Races, like Kelfin and Sanā€™layn can still be much different from Goblins and Blood Elves while feeling unique. Earthen just feelā€¦cheap to me. And despite there being some mentions and such of Earthen in lore, feel really out of left field.

I think if the Earthen were more rock elemental in looks as opposed to looking like edited Dark Iron Dwarves, I would be a lot more receptive to it. But the fact that they look like edited Dark Iron Dwarves, likely will have the same animations and dances, and barely look different than either playable Dwarf race at the time of this post makes them really banal. Much as I hate to see playable races as opportunity costs, I feel like the resources couldā€™ve gone into making something more unique as opposed to something that could have been a Customization Race, moreso when Wildhammer Dwarves continue to get the short end of the stick.

Iā€™m sure I could go on, and may have forgotten a point or two, but regardless of how I personally feelā€¦weā€™re kinda stuck with Earthen. Who knows? Maybe weā€™ll see them edited more and be more unique visually and through their culture. Maybe Iā€™ll be more interested when I actually see and work with them in quests and stuff once the next expansion launches.

However, I do feel like I had to let out how I honestly feel in some way as some sort of feedback. Again, Iā€™m not against new races being made from out of nowhere and becoming playable, but I would hope that they would be unique enough to stand on their own as their own race slot. Kelfin, Sanā€™layn, Broken, Wildhammer Dwarves, and several other races have more of a unique flair to them and have importance to their respective factions. Earthernā€¦really donā€™t have that feeling from the looks of things, and the constant shoving of the Wildhammer aside really doesnā€™t feel great in the grand scheme of things.

Ok, enough of the grumble grumble from me. As I said, Iā€™ll make a post in the near future about the other announcements of the next expansion and some things I think would be worth discussing (allied race system, neutrality, etc).

And no, Iā€™m not giving up on playable Horde Ogres. I knew this would be a marathon instead of a sprint when I first came to the forums, and I fully intent to keep at it with support playable Horde Ogres and Saurok, and a few other races I want to see playable of course.

Hopefully I was able to explain my thoughts on the Earthen without being too RAWR about it. Iā€™m far from a perfect person, but sometimes, you gotta let stuff out before you feel better. At least there will be more chances of playable races in the future.

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

9 Likes

I 100% agree with this and I really want to know the thought process that went into deciding that the Manā€™ari advertised as WoWā€™s first playable demon was made a Draenei skin, where as the Earthen got the full allied race treatment.

6 Likes

I give up Horde ogres are never coming

Iā€™ll hold hope that one day weā€™ll have em itā€™ll happen

5 Likes

At least, we could get new race with the ā€œskin race systemā€ like we got with the Manā€™ari Eredar for this expansion:

• Frostborn Dwarves for the Alliance
  • Dragonmaw Orcs for the Horde
  • Forest Trolls (or an allied race for them) for the Horde
  • Fel/Chaos Orcs for the Horde
4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

The Q&A thread has opened and I asked questions on behalf of a few race request megathreads. Iā€™ll post a link to the post and the question I asked for this megathread below:

ā€œSince they kinda owe the Horde quite a few favors and they would be very helpful in what is coming up, will we see the three Horde Ogre clans (MU Stonemaul Clan, AU Stonemaul Clan, and Dunemaul Clan) assist us in the near future?ā€

Worth a try, even if it will likely not get answered.

Iā€™m still thinking some about the recent announcements to make a post on in here. The allied race system being utilized again is one of the big things Iā€™m trying to think some more on, since it seems like weā€™ll be able to get more Allied Races in the future.

Iā€™ll post when Iā€™m able to in the near future! :smiley:

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat: :japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

I noticed that too. To be honest the reveal of a more humanoid Nerubian model and the mention that not every Nerubian is happy with their Queenā€™s bargain with Xalā€™atath makes me wonder if weā€™ll have another group of rebels to work with, who in turn will join us as the Nightborne did.

6 Likes

is this for alliance or horde

If you mean the Trading Post, itā€™s for both. If you mean for Ogres, then for the Horde!

So Blizzcon is over and while there wasnā€™t really much in the way of anything Horde Ogre related, there were a number of things coming from the various announcements that are of Horde OGre interest, as well as of interest to several other race request megathreads.

Iā€™ll be making a similar post in both my megathreads, edited to make comments of interest to that megathreadā€™s theme of course, and Iā€™ll gradually post thoughts in other race request megathreads as well. This is likely going to be a bit of a post, so letā€™s get some music to jam to as I type a whole bunch of stuff.

Right, with the introduction out of the way, letā€™s talk expansionsā€¦and no, that wasnā€™t a typo.

So the biggest announcement was not just one, but three expansions as part of the ā€œWorld Soul Saga.ā€ Not much details on them aside from the next expansion coming out:

Itā€™s a mostly underground expansion with Stone Dwarvesā€¦more on that in a bit.

This expansion is suppose to be void themed with a focus on elves and uniting elf tribes of some sort.

And finally, this one involves a return to the old world (of Warcraft!) while also returning to Northrend. I assume we beat up some big bad, maybe an evil titan or two.

All three expansions are expected to be released by 2030, and there was a mention that 20 years of WoW has been planned andā€¦good grief, am I really going to be running my megathreads for 20 years? I guess when you really want somethingā€¦maybe weā€™ll get lucky within there. x- x

Since details are fairly sparse on the latter two expansions, I canā€™t really say whether we could see the Horde Ogres involved or not since Elves are the focus in the second expansion.

As for the third expansion, a lot depends on the return to the old world (of Warcraft!) and what we do there. We could see the Horde Ogre clans involved there, though a lot depends on how much is in the old world (of Warcraft!) and what goes on in Northrend. Makes me wonder if that expansion is a new area elsewhere or if there are revamped areas of Northrend that we switch between timelines with Bronze Dragons. Regardless, maybe weā€™ll just see the Horde Ogre clans get some fur coats and mittens to smash stuff up in Northrend, but weā€™ll see whenever we get closer to that expansion.

Getting back to the next expansion, it doesnā€™t seem like the Horde Ogre clans will be involved much. Maybe they could if weā€™re lucky, but Iā€™m not entirely sure about that. Then again, they missed a huge war and almost all of a dragon related expansion, so weā€™ll see.

With the expansion announcements looked at, I should go ahead and mention the next playable race again: The Earthernā€¦wooā€¦

Iā€™ve grumble grumbled about my thoughts on them a few posts up, so check that if youā€™re particularly interested. The only new development Iā€™ll say is that they can be all classes except Druids, Demon Hunters, and Evokers at present.

My feelings on the Earthen aside, there are some interesting aspects of them I wanted to go over:

-Death Knights-

Earthen are the first playable race since Shadowlands that can be Death Knights, and since weā€™ll be meeting them for the first time next expansion, it means that it is still very possible for Death Knights to raise more of their kind. Makes me wonder if theyā€™ll change the Shadowlands starting area to bring it up to speed with what happened with Bolvar and add Earthen and other playable races to the area.

What this means is that we should be able to expect almost any new playable race (assuming we donā€™t get a ā€œDracthyr can only be Evokersā€ type of race again) in the future to be Death Knights! So I see no reason why Ogres wouldnā€™t be able to be Death Knights. Especially since they could have easily been them in the WotLK starting area for them.

Iā€™ll be sure to report on what all is done with Earthen Death Knights whenever they are available to create. Will be very interesting to see what is doneā€¦

-Allied Race System-

Yep. The Allied Race system from BfA wasnā€™t a BfA exclusive feature at all, which Iā€™m honestly happy for as it does open the door for some races to become playable that isnā€™t the nightmare that is having them becoming Customization Races, which I assume will continue to be a thing for worse or worse, if you know my opinions on the treatment of Customization Races.

For Ogres, them being an Allied Race could kinda work. Granted, the MU Stonemaul Clan is already part of the Horde, unless they donā€™t have full membership for some reason, which would be silly given theyā€™re one of the founding members of the current Horde.

It would mostly be the AU Stonemaul Clan and the Dunemaul Clan, the former never really got much development since arriving on Azeroth and the latter was loosely ā€œinvited.ā€ So If Ogres were an Allied Race, I would imagine giving all three full membershipā€¦or at least a combined MU and AU Stonemaul Clan, but Iā€™d like the Dunemaul Clan to be part of it too if possible.

Otherwise, I could still see Ogres as a core race still, which might mean more development time and more chances of seeing two-head customization options and such. Iā€™ll take either if it means I get my playable Horde Ogres finally.

Iā€™ll have to make an edit to that section of the main megathread post when I can to reflect on this. And no, I havenā€™t forgotten the class section revamp. Hoping to work on that more soon.

-Neutral Races-

Speculation is that neutral races will be favored going forward, since it would mean less development costs. And with the Horde getting a variant of Dwarves (what a weird thing to type out), itā€™s possible that faction wonā€™t be much of a consideration.

Now, Iā€™m not against neutral races. In fact, several NPC races I think would work best as neutral races for various reasons, Ethereals, Sethrak, and Tuskarr being a few notable ones. However, I would hope that neutral races wouldnā€™t be the focus going forward.

In my own personal opinion, I feel like having a whole bunch of neutral races kinda destroys the whole faction identity thing and dilutes that feeling of Warcraft as a whole. I still view faction identity as a pretty important thing to the game, and having a whole lot of races as neutral races just makes the waters muddy to me. Moreso if you start having new races created that can be things like Alliance Tauren and Horde Gnomes, which I hope races like the Earthen would be used sparingly going forward. And even with unique races, having like 20+ neutral races just dilutes the faction identity even more.

So to be clear: neutral races are perfectly fine as long as it isnā€™t overused with every race and makes sense.

As for Ogres, I still view them as a Horde only race, but with Dwarves on the Horde and given a lot of work that Ogres would take to make them a playable race, I could sorta see Neutral Ogres being a thing. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not fond of the idea of Alliance Ogres and I still view them as a Horde-only race, but honestly, if it means getting playable Horde Ogres finally, Iā€™d take it. Even if it would be weird.

Iā€™ll likely edit that section in the main post of the megathread as well in the near future to post my thoughts on it.

And with that, that is about all I can think of from the recent announcements that I wanted to type about. If I think of any more things, Iā€™ll make another post on it.

Of course, I know weā€™re likely all frustrated of yet another expansion and no playable Horde Ogres still. I know I am, but as I said, Iā€™m not giving up. Someone has to keep up the Horde Ogre support and reminding everyone that the Horde has three clans within their ranks, and Iā€™m going to keep marching in support as best as I can.

Until then, Iā€™ll keep dreaming of seeing playable Ogres as champions of the Horde someday!

5 Likes

I have to admit that I didnā€™t think about the possibility that neutral allied races could be path going forward for new playable races. I guess the Stonemaul could develop a rivalry with another Ogre clan or somethingā€¦ The Stonemaul did expand into Feralas after all and I canā€™t image the Gordunni are happy with more rivalsā€¦

Iā€™m in perfect agreement with this sentiment.

7 Likes

The Blizzcon Q & A video comes out this Friday. I wonder what questions have been selected.

4 Likes

The thing about the Gordunni is that regardless of Horde, Alliance, or otherwise, they want to smash your face in. The only way to really write that for Alliance is to have an Alliance member as the Gordok King, which could lead to something of stalemate between the Horde and Alliance and allow them to work together in clearing out Dire Maul and excavating and researching it.

Iā€™m fine with the Horde and Alliance sharing Dire Maul, since it makes sense given theyā€™re doing that with other areas according to different media, but I donā€™t know the chances of that being written for the Gordunni. Hard to say, really.

Also, I meant to mention that Cataclysm Classic was officially announced. This has some importance, as that expanded a bit on the MU Stonemaul Clan a bit with them being in Feralas. So they might be in the spotlight at least a bit, so itā€™s worth bring that back up again.

Much as I tried to think of things to ask, Iā€™d be very surprised if any of my questions get answered. Ah well, as I said, it could bring in some exposure to the race request megathreads at least.

Hopefully some good questions in general will get answered, but weā€™ll see.

4 Likes

itā€™d be nice to have a better answer than to hear its not appealing to players when you announce a race not everyone is gunna vibe with, ugly doesnā€™t mean unplayable it just means less likely to be done because we gotta cater to the part of the community that only likes cute and human looking things, granted its nice getting something that isnā€™t another knife ear but iā€™d prefer the dwarves stick with their own can you imagine a horde earthen rogue with the dwarfstalker title

2 Likes