The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

checks watch

We got Ogres yet?

6 Likes

will the Ogres join the alliance???

The only way I see that happening is if Ogres became a neutral playable race.

2 Likes

The next patch has been announced to come out on Nov. 7th:

Itā€™s sounding like the final major patch for Dragonflight, with maybe a minor .5 patch or two to follow it. Since weā€™re dealing with the Emerald Dream, the likelihood of Horde Ogres appearing is fairly low. Not entirely surprised that they havenā€™t shown up at all, seeing as Onyxiaā€™s minions and any surviving offspring havenā€™t made an appearance at all. Not to mention the whole being MIA thing during BfA. Go figure.

But on the bright side, we got a new expansion that comes out the year of the 20th anniversary of WoW. Maybe weā€™ll get lucky then, but weā€™ll see what happens or doesnā€™t happen when itā€¦happens I guess.

Regardless, we continue to march on in support! :muscle:

ā€”18 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!ā€”

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

you vs the guy she told you not to worry about

3 Likes

When we get playable Ogres do you guys think Blizzard would use callbacks with them?

For example have a team composed an orc, forest troll, ogre, and goblin working towards a goal with their own styles.

5 Likes

Would make for an interesting callback to see members of the old Horde together again, though not necessarily the same tribes/clans involved I assume. However, if they would ever do such a thing, Forest Trolls need to be playable as either a Core/Allied race or as a Customization Race.

Also, weā€™re 2 weeks away from Blizzcon starting! Time sure flies, doesnā€™t it? Still not sure what to expect from it, but hopefully weā€™ll see what is to come sooner than later.

ā€”14 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!ā€”

6 Likes

Been thinking about the new class section revamp of the main post of the megathread, which Iā€™m planning out currently. Weā€™re still in need of coming up of things like Ogre Druid forms and Ogre Paladin mounts (weird to think about, I know), which will continue to be a discussion point, so I may not put anything specific for those until later on. Iā€™ll post a rough draft of the sectionā€™s revamp as a post before I get to the actual update, though.

I also thought about making a section about the AU Stonemaul Clan and their importance to being part of the playable Horde Ogre faction with the MU Stonemaul Clan. As mentioned many times throughout the megathread, I firmly believe that the MU and AU Stonemaul Clans, with any other Horde clans like the Dunemaul Clan, is the best since it combines both the Azeroth and AU Draenor Ogre designs, themes, mounts and beasts, and personalities as options for players and also NPCā€™s. Likely, itā€™ll be something Iā€™ll be thinking on as I go through the megathread to see what all needs to be revamped.

If anyone has any opinions for either section, please let me know. In the meantime, Iā€™ll see what I can type up.

ā€”12 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!ā€”

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what forms Ogre druids would have but if Ogres have a clefthoof mount, then Ogre paladins would have an golden armored clefthoof.

3 Likes

will they join the alliance or horde

Some of these forms could work for them.

4 Likes

Those would be rather cool.

4 Likes

Some interesting info gleamed from twitter.

Linked above for those that want to dig into it.

6 Likes

Hmm. John Staats was the person who gave the quote regarding not knowing how to make female Ogres the way female players would want to play:

"Ogres were not planned to be a playable race in classic World of Warcraft because the developers couldnā€™t figure out how to make female ogres an attractive option for players. Johnathan Staats has stated ā€œWe [ā€¦] wanted our female players to play, like, the character that they wanted to play, and we just didnā€™t know howā€ and has mentioned that ā€œweird thingsā€ arise when trying to make male and female options for every race, citing the example of female tauren not having udders.ā€

Iā€™ve gone over that quote in another post in here, but it is weird how that was stated, and here in this Q&A which I assume was recent, it was definitely planned and worked on, but this is the first Iā€™ve heard it being a time problem.

We knew that Ogres were planned in general for Vanilla, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting things about them and female Ogres. It seems like there was more for them being playable and worked on than just the ā€œfemale Ogres stopped us from being able to do it design-wiseā€ argument you see pop up from time to time.

It also says a lot when Ogres were considered for Cataclysm and allegedly for other expansions as well. A shame it never came into reality eventually, but who knows? Still sounds like there is a chance for that to be possible. Makes me wonder if two-head options wouldā€™ve been in during Vanilla. Iā€™d think it would be possible these days, albeit it a lot of work to implement.

Also makes me wonder if Darkspear Trolls werenā€™t playable in Vanilla, when they wouldā€™ve become playable. Iā€™m sure they wouldā€™ve been playable as some point fairly soon after Vanilla launched. Maybe Iā€™d lead the Darkspear Troll Megathread if they werenā€™t playable by BfA so I could make this character in that timeline. Who knows?

Still interesting to hear, even if there are some contradictions on different aspects of Ogres being planned and so on. I still donā€™t think theyā€™re impossible however, and that is what is most important. :smiley:

ā€”11 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!ā€”

6 Likes

Itā€™s rather interesting to think about what could have changed if Ogres had become the fourth playable Horde race in vanilla and what would have stayed the same. Iā€™m guessing that Rexxar would still have been their racial leader.

I think that in the timeline were Ogres were the fourth Horde playable race, the Darkspear would have become playable with Cataclysm. The Retaking of the Echo Isle event would have perfectly set it up. Which leaves the question on when Goblins would have become playableā€¦ and if they might actually had become a neutral race, with each faction gaining a goblin cartel.

4 Likes

maybe itā€™ll be one of the .5 or .7 patches that re-introduces them into the main story, like maybe during the whole wrathion and vryanoth going around reconnecting with the other flights maybe itā€™ll lead towards some clemency between the black dragonflight and the stonemaul

4 Likes

they would betray the horde and join the alliance

It is possible Rexxar couldā€™ve been the racial leader. It also could have been Mokā€™morokk still, either at Vanilla or during Cataclysm if Rexxar leaves then, only with a bigger role. Maybe he wouldā€™ve stayed loyal to the MU Stonemaul Clan or maybe he wouldā€™ve gotten villain batted at some point during an expansion and replaced either with Rexxar again or maybe Tharg wouldā€™ve been created still.

Itā€™s fun to think about such an alternate universe. Granted, I still hope weā€™re in the timeline where weā€™ll get playable Horde Ogres. Otherwise, Iā€™d have to bribe the Bronze Dragonflight to take me to such a timeline. < - <

By the way, weā€™re less than 10 days until Blizzcon! Iā€™m both excited andā€¦sorta worried. Hard to explain. Maybe Iā€™ll elaborate more when I can put it into words.

ā€”9 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!ā€”

8 Likes

I believe this is the 2nd or 3th Rumble post ive seen where its featuring The Horde with an ogre. I wonder if theyā€™re subtly hinting at whats next??

Warcraft Rumble Horde Ogre https://imgur.com/gallery/viv45TG

6 Likes

All of the ogre clans will one day reunite under the horde banner as the reformed gorian empire once again

4 Likes