The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Well lets see…

-I reserved a character name and slot for my Ogre character when I first started playing WoW shortly after BC came out and still have said slot reserved.

-The Ogre character I want to make is based on my Ogre Berserker character from Everquest 1 and 2, who was one of my favorite characters to play as.

-I started openly supporting playable Horde Ogres on these forums around the time BfA was announced with the whole Allied Race system.

-This megathread will hit its 3 year anniversary on Oct. 9th with no plans of stopping anytime soon.

-Horde Ogres are extremely high on my most wanted playable races, with Horde Saurok right above them as my most wanted playable race.

Yep. Pretty sure I really want playable Horde Ogres. :smiley:

—71 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd!)—

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

5 Likes

So it’s been data-mined that purchasing the next expansion, will not only give us tender but different amount based on which edition we buy. Thus I feel fairly confident that Blizzcon will give us an expansion announcement.

4 Likes

I honestly feel like we will get a new expansion announcement at Blizzcon, even if we have a bit to go through Dragonflight still.

Mostly it is a combination of FFXIV announcing their next expansion and it kinda feeling like it is getting to the point in the current expansion’s lifecycle. Not to mention next Blizzcon being in-person, which has been awhile since the last in-person event, so I figure they would want some pretty big announcements there.

I imagine it would be well into 2024 before we see the next expansion released, so there would still be time to have another patch of Dragonflight in the meantime. Maybe one more big patch with some smaller ones would be what I would guess.

I honestly don’t know what to expect for the next expansion. Rumors seem all over the place, from old world (of Warcraft!) revamps, Light vs Void, Vrykul related things, to recently pirates and the high seas. Not to mention all the “leaks” getting thrown over the place, which I remember what Shadowlands went through with that before we saw what we actually got for worse or…well, worse when it comes to Shadowlands. So keeping an open mind seems to be the best course of action to me.

I will be honest in saying that if we got Ogres and Saurok as playable Horde races, I would be really tempted to buy the epic digital and physical collector’s editions of the expansion. Moreso if it had Ogre and Saurok related goodies in them to go with that feature. A Saurok and Ogre figure or statue would be mighty tempting, to be honest…

As for the tenders coming with the next expansion, I’m all for it. When it comes to stuff I was planning to buy anyway, every little bit is helpful to store away and use for stuff on the Trading Post.

Hopefully, we’ll get an official announcement sooner than later of what is to come next to the game. I’ll keep an open mind, but I’ll keep some hope of seeing some new playable races people have been requesting. Been awhile since any of the race request megathreads got to celebrate, which I think the last megathreads to get their wishes granted were the Vulpera and MechaGnome megathreads during BfA. Technically Dark Rangers got to celebrate, though that seems a bit more of a monkey’s paw wish than anything, given how Customization Races are treated.

Guess we’ll see what happens when it happens.

—70 Days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!—

5 Likes

I know we talked about this over dms, but I now fully agree with that statement.

I think the expansion announcement is coming with Blizzcon, and I think we’ll hear about 10.2 proper this week or next.

I think we’ll also hear a lot about 10.2.5 during Blizzcon.

3 Likes

If we get an expansion about the Light, I’m pretty optimist about getting a Draenor race for the Horde like Ogre, Mok’Nathal or Saberon.

8 Likes

I have to admit that your post has me wondering what happened with AU Rexxar. Was he killed by the Lightbound like Durotan or was he one of those they converted by force to the Light?

3 Likes

If the Lightbound become a huge antagonist for a future expansion and we got playable races, I feel like a combination of Saberon, Arakkoa, Botani, and Ogres would be possible candidates.

I don’t know how high Ogres would be compared to the other races as the playable Horde race for such an expansion. We’d likely see the AU Stonemaul Clan appear since joining in BfA, but I don’t know how likely it would be to see the MU Stonemaul Clan there. Not to mention if there are any rebel Draenor forces, like any AU Draenor Ogre clans. Then again, I don’t know if we’d ever go back to AU Draenor, given how lackluster it was the first time and how it’s sorta disappearing.

If I were to guess, Saberon for the Horde and Arakkoa for the Alliance would make the most sense for such an expansion. Botani as a playable race is weird, given how evil they were in WoD, but not impossible to flesh out and change, and likely would go Alliance if they were playable if I were to guess. I mean, several playable races were once evil one-note mook NPC races before they became playable, so nothing is entirely impossible…for the most part.

But sure, playable Horde Ogres would be great for such an expansion. I just don’t know what the chances would be for that particular expansion theme when other AU Draenor races would have as high stakes in the situation, if not more. Then again, they didn’t show up when it would’ve made sense several times, like BfA, so who knows?

Also, am I the only one worried about Botani on Azeroth? Especially near Wailing Caverns, which has a lot of insane nightmare power within it and could easily be taken over by them and corrupt them in scary ways? And how they did a lot of nasty things that weren’t nice in WoD? I still say it would make for a great pre-expansion event with playable Saberon.

6 Likes

At this point, ogres are the ubiquitous request for the next playable race. I don’t say this as an ogre fan, but from everything I see and hear online. If we get new races, and that theme is related to ogres, I think chances of getting them are high.

When it comes to the Lightbound, I think it could go either way. If the Lightbound come to us, I don’t think ogres would be likely. If we go to them, however, ogres shoot up to nearly guaranteed. They’re not going to just reuse a continent, so if we go back to Draenor, we’re going to the ogre continent (and the story will be written accordingly). At that point, I think even non-ogre fans would say it’d be a crime to avoid playable ogres. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Void, whether paired with Light or not, is also a good theme for ogres. Thanks to Cho’gall, the race as a whole has a strong association with the power and its cults. While playable ones wouldn’t be bad, that association would be an easy plot hook for them.

It’s another theme that’s likely right now, too. Between the lore books on Forbidden Reach using the old whispers to tease Azshara’s return, and Iridikron escaping into a Void portal (which seems to also have been his exit from this expansion), it seems almost guaranteed the Void will appear in some significant fashion next expansion.

I actually think we might end up with a bit of a Titan vs Void thing next expansion, with us not necessarily on either side (thanks to the Void bringing its baggage, and Odyn being a villain).

4 Likes

It would be so cool if they gave us Ogre and Jinyu at the same time.
Ogres for horde and jinyu for alliance.
I think after HE (wich I don’t think we will ever get since they added blue eyes for BE and VE), jinyu are the most requested race for alliance atm(?), so if they are released at the same time as ogres, both factions will be happy and it will be pretty fair.

Oh but to match the WoD theme, arakkoa would be perfet for alliance!

5 Likes

I think its Sethrak and then Jinyu last I saw.

3 Likes

Jinyu, Broken, Sethrak, Furbolg and Arakkoa are the most wanted Alliance races.

5 Likes

Don’t suppose anyone has a relatively recent poll from someplace? I think the last time I last saw was almost 3 years ago…

No just see it on the forums.

Aside from the race that shall not be named, those seem to be the most common playable race requests for Alliance I’ve seen over the years of playing WoW.

I don’t think I’ve seen a poll on most wanted playable races done recently. Even then, the pool size and location availability might not represent all WoW players. I feel like the only way to get that as close as possible would be if Blizzard held an official poll. Something like logging in and submitting 3-5 of your most wanted playable races. Not perfect by any means, of course.

I do see a lot of race requests in general on different websites to at least make an educated guess on the popularity. I can’t really say what would be the most requested, but I do know some popular ones.

5 Likes

Oh they never do. But its neat to see where things land when they come up.

Aside from high elves, I’d say that Sethrak, Jinyu, Vrykul, broken, ethereals, gnolls(for reasons I don’t get) and then furbolg seem the most common I’ve seen recently on the forums.

6 Likes

Ogres have been obvious for long enough that sometimes I worry they’ve been overruled by executives that don’t think they’d sell. The funny thing is, when I first started my ogre campaign, I would have agreed but kept it to myself to not risk undermining my own efforts.

Seeing playable ogres in other games, however, has really changed my opinion. People enjoy ogres. When people say that ogres are too silly to be playable, I tend to try to point out the places they can be serious or intimidating, but there’s not necessarily anything wrong with silly.

Ogres also seem to bring out the roleplayers in everyone.

A recent example is Darktide. The game had a rocky launch, but one thing that was unambiguous about the game is how much people enjoy the Ogryns. If you have even a single Ogryn in your group, people start roleplaying and having fun with the idea of a big fun guy smashing all their enemies for them, or roleplaying being the big guy protecting all the little ones. It’s some of the most shared fun I’ve had in public groups in a multiplayer game in a long time.

Ogres may not have the collective, mainstream attachment of orcs and elves, but it seems that when someone is handed an ogre, they go and have fun.

5 Likes

You are not the only one worried about that and I feel it’s only a matter of time before the Wailing Caverns are updated with the Botani replacing the Druids of the Fang.

To be honest I’ve never really understood the calls for Alliance Sethrak. The Devoted worked with the Vulpera against the Faithless, who attacked both the Horde and Alliance. Plus Sethrak going Horde makes more sense, since it would showcase Zandalar being Horde territory.

1 Like

If I make a two headed Ogre, I want the second head to sometimes take control of the character, like interrupting my own spell casts or running the other way or buy back stuff I’ve sold so I have to battle with “myself” to do what I intended to.
:beverage_box: :dracthyr_comfy_sip:

1 Like

im down with the thickness. its never oger.

1 Like

To a lot of Alliance players the Sethrak felt like a race that held more Alliance values than they did Horde ones and they were in line with the Vulpera who were very obviously going Horde.

I personally want Sethrak more Neutral than Alliance, where the Devoted are the Horde ones and the remnants of the Faithless go to the Alliance to seek asylum.

3 Likes