The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Clefthoof sounds like a nice possible mount to me, since they’re really sturdy looking. Since ogres are so bulky, I could also see a clefthoof travel form. They look tough enough to be a guardian form, but so far Bliz hasn’t used anything that doesn’t have a swipe with forelimbs animation. (which, I think still leaves scorpions open if they want to use them for green orcs!)

4 Likes

Why? I assume all life left back on draenor was converted.

We can still have deserters among the Lightbound who rejoin the other Ogres of Azeroth in the Horde so they can teach them the way of paladin.

It will be a good opportunity to introduce Ogres in the Horde because we already have the Mag’har in the Horde and it will be a focus on the “Draenor army” (Draenei, Mag’har Orcs, Ogres with maybe Saberon and Arakkoa). So it’s a good opportunity to introduce another Draenor race in the Horde with the Lightbound.

5 Likes

Lightbound deserters would be a good way to explain Ogre Paladins who train others with their own Ogre twist on it.

I do feel that playable Ogres could come first before we see Yrel and the Lightbound again. It would give time for the MU and AU Stonemaul Clans to get situated and combine, as well as giving the Alliance another race of some sort (my own personal choice would be Furbolgs). I could see Ogre Paladins becoming a thing during or after we deal with the Lightbound.

If the Lightbound were to be antagonists of an expansion, I lean towards Saberon on the Horde and Arakkoa for the Alliance since they would have high stakes in having to leave Draenor, some Saberon already have come with us to Azeroth in BfA, and have a history between each other that would work well for their storylines in working together to leave to safety and such. Ogres could work here, but since I lean heavily to the MU Stonemaul Clan with the AU Stonemaul Clan mixed in, I feel that having them playable earlier would work better. As well as having pre-expansion events like the Botani, who came with us and the Saberon, taking residence in Wailing Caverns.

Sure, you could have Ogres be playable just fine in a Lightbound expansion, still with the AU and MU Stonemaul Clan combined, and likely paired with something from Draenor for Alliance, but I feel like for narrative purposes, Saberon and Arakkoa would be a more fitting combo. A lot of it feels more fitting and a lot more to work with, especially if playable Horde Ogres are established beforehand.

All in my own personal opinion, of course. Who knows what plans Blizzard has currently and with the Lightbound, what they would do with them. A lot of rumors are a Light vs Void expansion theme, so maybe that would be when we could see the Lightbound come into the picture again.

Whenever the Lightbound does come into the picture, however, I do hope we see the AU Stonemaul Clan again, given that they joined the Horde in BfA and then kinda disappeared into fat air, being MIA since then.

–84 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!–

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

That would be rather neat way to establish Ogre paladins. Though I kind of wonder if the Lok’osh (the orc priest organization) would just simply be expanded to include paladins and have other races join the movement, like Ogres. Like it becomes the Draenor group, after a fashion.

Seeing the MU and AU Stonemaul come together would be great to see and Stillpine Furbolg becoming a playable Alliance race would be neat to see.

3 Likes

I was pretty surprised when they are doing Allied races that Ogres were not included considering Horde got every other race they mostly wanted.

Unfortunately if were to get Ogres now the factions would be super lopsided with Vulpera and Ogres being an actual new race lore wise.

1 Like

Ah the dream.

Stillpine should join up with the Blackwood’s remaining members and add in the Gnarlpine if any yet live. Could also add the thistlefur tribe since last lore on them suggested they might be Alliance aligned now.

6 Likes

You can also throw in the Winterpelt Furbolg and any surviving Furbolg tribes on the Dragon Isles to connect with the other Furbolg tribes. Would make for a pretty neat storyline, along with a Furbolg council designed to stick together and fight against any future corruption.

As I said before, if it were up to me, I’d have Furbolg as the Alliance counterpart to Ogres. Sure, Ogres would steal the show of an announcement, but Furbolgs would add some much needed variety to the Alliance and still be pretty awesome to see. Not to mention making some sense currently and potentially being tied into Night Elf storylines going on currently.

The other popular Alliance counterpart would be Vrykul for various reasons, which they would make a great counterpart to Ogres on the Horde in my opinion. Speaking of which, I’ve been noticing a lot of next expansion rumors popping up lately involving pirates and Vrykul. Not sure exactly what caused said rumors, other than some Vrykul stuff being found in various places I assume in Dragonflight, but given several content creators are talking about it, it’s something interesting to think about.

Not sure that I see Vrykul as a neutral race if they became playable (not impossible of course), so it is worth noting stuff we see involving them in case they do end up playable. I suppose a sea faring pirate expansion would fit very well in having both Vrykul and Ogres playable, given that they’re both big seafaring races.

Again, take any rumors or “leaks” you see with a grain of salt (or a salt lick for that matter), but still, it is a fun thought. :sailboat:

–82 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!–

Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

Really? I’ve mainly seen Void rumors for the next expansion. Though both concepts could be combined together, with the pirates doing one thing and then the Naga serving as the void related storyline.

2 Likes

y’know the more i think about it, it really wouldn’t be that far fetched for the ogres and mok’nathal to be customization race for orcs like they’re doing with the man’ari for the draenei or how they did the quel’dorei high elves for the velf and belf

Mok’nathol I could see being a customization race for Orcs, but Ogres?

Ogres as a customization race would be an incredibly huge monkey paw wish that would be horrible for them in the long run. Ogres are their own race with completely different aesthetics and culture to Orcs and need to be their own race slot. It’d be like putting Vulpera onto Goblins as a customization race, and we really don’t need to be doing stuff like that in the game.

If Blizzard became crazier than a rainbow trout in a car wash and made Ogres as a customization race, the following would happen:

-No racial leader and no spot on the Horde council.

-Ogres would likely sound like Orcs and refer to themselves as such while being referred to as Orcs.

-Little to no presence in storylines or in places in-game

-No two-head customization ever

-Likely the same size as Orcs

-Female Ogres likely wouldn’t be able to be developed nearly as well as if Ogres were their own race.

-Could likely just be plopped onto them with little to no fanfare shown on a PowerPoint slide like the Wildhammer Dwarves with nothing in-game to go with it.

-Several other things that have made Customization Races a disappointment in general.

It’s bad enough that some races are doomed to the apathetic treatment that is the purgatory called Customization Races, but Ogres are their own race and shouldn’t become Orcs cosplaying and LARPing as them.

It’s effectively a soup sandwich: a messy eyesore that shouldn’t have been combined in the first place that doesn’t do any fans of soups or sandwiches any favors, with long lasting stains that act as reminders of what could have been had more work been put into the concept.

Ogres should be their own full race if they ever become playable. Period. -harrumph-

Light vs Void and a revamp of old worlds (of Warcraft!) have been heavy rumors as well. Pirates and Vrykul just seem to have been popping up here and also from the big named content creators. Not sure if it means much, since I remember the kerfuffle speculation that happened before Shadowlands, even if some things became true, but it was something I figured was worth mentioning. :pirate_flag:

-81 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!-

4 Likes

When the allied race system started Blizzard either used new races such as the Vulpera or variant of a playable race like Mag’har orcs. Now though they’ve seemingly decided to go the customization route for these variant races, like the Darkfallen and the upcoming Man’ari Eredar.

So its more likely for the likes of fel orcs and frost dwarves to be customizations, with ogres and mok’nathal being their own playable race.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t think the Allied Race system is completely finished.

Yes, I know that Blizzard tends to add in stuff that is only supported in one expansion, but the Allied Race system seems open enough that it could be an evergreen feature. After all, despite not being a perfect system, it gets people to do current content grinds and opens the way for revenue streams like race changes or level boosts.

I know Blizzard has leaned into Customization Races for worse or…worse, but I still don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t decide to add more Allied Races when the situation fits. There is plenty of room for more banners in the Alliance and Horde embassies.

Likely, if they did add more, they might be races that wouldn’t be able to be customization races in the future. Obviously, that would require more resources than Customization races, so we’d see fewer of them. Nothing is really stopping that from ever happening again, however.

And even then, we’re still getting Core Races, as seen with the Dracthyr, so there is still that being implemented. I really honestly don’t see the Allied Race system finished, but instead something to utilize when it fits within an expansion. I don’t see Customization Races completely replacing it, as they tend to be races that could just be customization options…which some of the Allied Races should have been, in my own personal opinion.

Ogres can fit either Core or Allied Races, though I lean them more towards Core, myself. I’d take whatever would get them playable on the Horde and would give them the most time to work on two head customization and such.

I really don’t see them as Customization Races ever, nor should we see completely different races slapped onto existing ones. Having Ankoan be a Customization Race for Jinyu or vice versa is fine, but Ogres and Orcs are far too different to do something like that.

I’m sure we’ll eventually see more Allied Races. What races they would be and when we’d see more added is up in the air, however.

-81 days until Blizzcon starts (Nov. 3rd)!-

6 Likes

True and if need be Blizzard could always streamline it all by having a NPC we could speak to for the status over the banner.

3 Likes

would your ogre be bright pink, or polkadotted, or plaid???

3 Likes

Ogres will get its own playable race. For Mok’Nathal, we got Kul Tirans for Humans (they are just Humans) and we still don’t get the bukly Forest Troll for the Horde (we don’t have the green skin for regular Trolls too). Mok’Nathal are between an Ogre and a Orc and they are too different to be just a customization.

I really think it could a good thing to release Mok’Nathal before Ogres. Why? Because they are ready, everything is ready for them and we could wait a little more with them the Ogres (they are half Ogre). The devs could improve the Ogre model to give us the perfect playable model for Ogre with this (improve the rigs, etc). We also need to find what race could work for the Alliance with the Ogres for the Horde. I think Mogu for the Alliance could work well or maybe Broken if they aren’t release with the Mok’Nathal.

1 Like

The orc heritage quest chain does have the Mok’nathal decide to end their isolationists policy. Granted I just figured we would see an increased Mok’nathal presence NPC down the road, but making them playable would be another way to show them joining the wider world.

All in all when it comes to trying to figure out which races can become playable on their own and which ones could be a customization option, we need to look at how similar and different they are to existing playable races.

For example fel orcs are red skinned orcs/mag’har orcs, so they can easily be applied as a customization option, where as ogres are a different race to those currently playable and thus should be a playable race in their own right. Meanwhile forest trolls share a female model with jungle trolls but male model is completely different, so I lean more towards them being a playable race over customization option.

2 Likes

Imgur

7 Likes