The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Right. The question is where the name came from, since it seems like Crol’ka is referred to as just “Ogre” in the cut scene at the time stamp above and I am not sure if he is referred to his actual name afterwards at some point.

I remember when I first posted about him in here that I was confused about the name origins. I don’t know if I am remembering wrong, but I feel like I read that it may have come from file names for his model in WC3:R. Not 100% sure on that one, however.

Still, it is good he has a name. Hopefully, he’ll appear in WoW someday, seeing as he is a kinda important Ogre hero in several ways.

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve played the Founding of Durotar campaign, but from what I recall the name is shown when you click on him or hover the mouse over him.

3 Likes

I honestly wonder how long it would take to come up with a concept for female ogres i know we as the playerbase have our own concept art, but we’ve never seen what they’ve even made for one in terms of a rough draft

4 Likes

If we’re talking about Blizzard designing concepts, it would likely take quite a bit of time to get through the conceptual stage for new playable races, let alone NPC race models.

I’m sure there are a lot of factors when it comes to implementing concepts of a new race or a new gender of a race. Not just design-wise, but also considering the game engine. More complicated for Ogres specifically would be the size of playable Ogres and two-head customization, which would be for male and female Ogres. Then you have other departments and higher ups who would have to go over, discuss, and approve the many concepts that would be created to look at. I imagine it’s a pretty long process for a variety of business and design decisions.

I would think by now, there would be some official rough draft concepts for female Ogres, especially since we do have some official artwork from books and that mask in-game. I don’t know how far in completion or how many designs concepts would’ve gotten, even in Cataclysm where they were heavily considered to become playable.

I imagine we wouldn’t be able to see any conceptual artwork of them unless we see female Ogres in-game, as NPC’s or if playable Horde Ogres become a thing. Likely, the latter would be more likely to bring concepts out. Either they’d be shown in videos, like design videos at Blizzcon, promotional trailers, a book, or a bonus to go with something. Just me guessing, of course.

Hopefully we will see female Ogres in-game someday and that they’ll be designed well. Preferably as something savage and fitting as opposed to pretty barbie dolls.

7 Likes

The horde called and said they wanted their ogres ogrelift certified so we can continue production on that port in the valley of honor

5 Likes

Obligatory support post because I saw the thread again. Come on blizz, you can do it

4 Likes

That’s reminds me of how Blizzard joked about people being “surprised” at Vulpera become playable. So I kind of wonder if they would make some type of joke or comment when Ogres are announced. A part of me feels they should just echo Starcraft 2 with the “Hell, it’s about time” line.

3 Likes

July 2023’s Trading Post items have been announced! First a video with a video showing some items coming in July and August:

And a full list of July’s rewards:

Nothing really Ogre related this month. I’m still curious if the other Ogre children models would end up on there eventually, or even as NPC’s somewhere.

The Primeval Basher looks like it would make for a neat Ogre weapon. Helm of the Fierce could look pretty good on Ogre Warriors. And the Conquest sword looks somewhat fitting for Azeroth Ogres since their designs for equipment can look cobbled together, which is quite the contrast compared to AU Draenor Ogres who have a more fancy look to them.

I’ll continue to keep an eye out on each Trading Post monthly rewards in case there is anything of interest to report back on!

3 Likes

Chiming into to support to the request for Ogres.

We have a rig in the form of the Kul’tiran models, the Horde is waiting for its’ Ogres.

4 Likes

Still dreaming that The Horde gets complete by getting their final core race - the big guys, the head honchos, the Gran Jefe, Mr Big… sorry I can just go on sometimes…
OGRES
You know who lets their players have that much fun, Blizzard? Cool people. Cool people give The Horde their official ogres. That’s big belly energy right there.

6 Likes

I have to admit, Im curious on how long you could have taken this. Like I can see Fat Bastards (Austin Powers reference, not insult), the original Shrek, the smashers, the double headed, and the one needed to complete the War2 Horde roster.

3 Likes

Happy Canada Day to our Canadian WoW players! :maple_leaf:

With my father being Canadian, I celebrate my Canadian heritage on days like today. Whatever plans everyone has today, please have a fun, happy, and safe Canada Day! :beaver:

3 Likes

I missed an opportunity fo sho :sleepy: lmao

3 Likes

Happy Canada Day, Bagz!

4 Likes

So an update I want to do for the main post of the megathread is the class section. Seeing as Blizzard is heading towards playable races having access to almost all classes, it’s something I need to look into for Ogres, seeing as we’ll likely see other classes open up for all races in the future.

The obvious exception to that would be Evokers, seeing as at the time of this post, it is exclusive to Dracthyr and I don’t see Ogres being able to fly around and belching fireballs at others anytime soon, cool as that would be. However, every other class seems to be open for them being added to Ogres should they become a playable race, so it would be time to revamp that section of the megathread to reflect on those combinations as opposed to saying what is or isn’t viable for class options.

It does mean some suggestions could be done for certain class features. We’ve discussed Ogre Hunter starting pets a few times before, but we’d have to consider things like Ogre Shaman totems, Ogre Paladin mounts, Ogre Druid forms and any other things like that. I think it would be a good time to start that discussion moving so I can get some ideas to put on a revamped class section post.

I know some combinations will be a bit…weird to think of, but it seems highly likely we’ll see those classes open up to all races at some point. I’ll be making a post analyzing each class for Ogres and commenting on how they would work and how the features would apply to them to prepare for the class section update, much like how I did for my Saurok megathread for when I update the class section there.

And something to note is if two-head customization options become an option for playable Ogres. Would that affect Ogre Druid forms at all? Or would there just be one-head Druid forms to save on resources? Definitely something to think about and address.

So if anyone has any ideas for each class and how their features would apply to Ogres, please share your thoughts!

4 Likes

I think druid wise the forms would just have the one head to save on assets. After all it would be easier to have an Ogre standard druid forms over splitting it between those who had one or two heads.

3 Likes

Happy Fourth of July everyone! :fireworks: :eagle:

I feel like Ogres would make some epic fireworks with huge explosions. Something like the ones in here:

Whatever your plans are today, please have a fun, happy, and safe holiday!

-Dream big, Ogre fans! :hotdog::japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

:eagle:Likewise.:eagle:

3 Likes

Blizzard has released patch notes for the upcoming “Fractures in Time” patch, coming July 11th:

Nothing really Ogre related I saw, unless there is something with the Time Rift events. I haven’t seen anything from the datamines to indicate that, however.

As mentioned before, there is likely to be at least one more major patch in Dragonflight, so we’ll see where the story takes us when that gets announced. Still, best to keep an open mind. Especially since the Horde Ogres were MIA in BFA, a huge missed opportunity I shall keep grumbling about, so I can’t say the chances of seeing Horde Ogre clans in Dragonflight are particularly high. Still, I’ll help report any sightings or anything of interest if we come across anything relating to the Horde Ogre clans.

But regardless of what does or doesn’t happen, we keep marching on!

6 Likes

ogres will have even bigger shoulder pads than tauren

5 Likes