The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Why would we write it off? Its there and exists… Its canon.

It suggests that Ogres have not forgotten. Nothing about it says its just those ogres.

The Stonemaul are smarter than I think you think they are… You should go quest with them.

Ogres do often have a dim way of speaking and do value strength but they’re not all idiots by any means.

3 Likes

The way I imagined playable Stonemaul Ogres is that the AU Stonemaul Clan, who joined in the Mag’har Orc unlock scenario, would be integrated into the MU Stonemaul Clan. Thus the playable Horde Ogre faction would have a mix for those wanting the big and dumb ones, like myself, and the AU Gorian ones we’ve seen, which I’m sure many people also want.

Integrating the AU Stonemaul Clan gives reasons for AU Draenor designs to be part of the playable Horde Ogre faction. It wouldn’t be impossible to see armor and toga robes, building and vehicle structures, AU Draenor beasts, and so on with the Stonemaul Clan as a whole all of a sudden. In fact, it’d be very welcomed and make things interesting.

The AU Stonemaul Clan could easily be fleshed out more, since they kinda disappeared after joining the Horde, to explain the AU Draenor aesthetics and such. You can also have stuff from the MU Stonemaul Clan with their own transmogs and such as well if you want. It’d be pretty easy to mix them together. Not to mention that we’d get NPC’s of both types out of it too.

I do think it’s important to have representation of both the Big and Dumb (Azeroth Ogres) and also the Savage and Cunning (AU Draenor Ogres) represented in the playable Horde Ogre faction. I feel like that would please everyone as opposed to being just one or the other.

I’ll comment on other posts above a bit later when I have time and am not feeling quite as bleh thanks to allergies causing my sinuses to have a civil war or mutiny or something inside my nose and head. x- x

Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

5 Likes

I agree with this. Though (and i think OP mentioned this) i can see the ogres that the mag’har brought with from AU Draenor seeing what is happening with their kin on our world and have been spending all this time since their integration into our world teaching our world’s ogres their ways and slowly establishing a proper ogre society behind the scenes

4 Likes

I always figured they just talk dumb because of a language barrier and havent had the same level of opportunity to learn something other than whatever the ogre native language is

3 Likes

It’s really clear that ogres aren’t dumb and it’s more along those lines yeah.

They had an empire, they are amazing shipwrights and powerful arcanists.

Their current plight is more because of situation not being dumb.

5 Likes

Also… Here is my orc warrior of the Blackcrag Clan welcoming their newest member, Dra’gul.

The Blackcrag Clan takes most of its members from orphans who’ve lost their families and clans due to war.

5 Likes

That’s just neat and adorable. Plus Dra’gul is a perfect Ogre name.

4 Likes

If and when we get ogres what’ll be your go to mounts?

2 Likes

Thank you! I spent two weeks coming up with it. lol

Depending on their size I’m going to use one of my boar or Hippo mounts I think. They fit well I think. Plus I have a ton of them and feel bad I don’t use any on anyone yet.

3 Likes

I have to admit, imagining an Ogre riding a hippo or boar made me smile.

3 Likes

Mine would be some of the boar mounts the warlords deathwheel and rylaks for flying ill only add in the grand wyvern because its supposed to be more durable to carry our big bois clad in red

3 Likes

Ok right but playable Ogres WHEN

5 Likes

The new patch has gone live, and while I haven’t seen anything Horde Ogre specific, I did notice a few things of interest in the Orc heritage questline. If you want to see the entire thing, you can see the link below:

First off, Rexxar does make an appearance during it and says the following:

"I did not know Thrall was going to invite the Mok’nathal to the Kosh’harg.

They deserve their place here, and I am glad to see them among the orcs, but… I have not spoken to my father since I left to join the Horde all those years ago.

He was not ready to accept me back as his son when I was last in Outland. I do not know if he is ready now.
This will be a difficult day for us."

His father says this:

"I was surprised when Thrall reached out with an invitation to the Kosh’harg. The Mok’nathal have never been included before–we were considered half-breeds by the Old Horde. Lesser than true orcs.

In our isolation in Outland, I did not realize how much had truly changed. It may be time for an earnest discussion with my son."

Sounds like Rexxar will officially join the Mok’nathol group. This of course would mean that an Ogre would be the leader of the MU Stonemaul Clan, which I think is for the best for both Ogres and Mok’nathol.

The other thing of interest that is that Lantresor of the Blade is there, and I think this is the MU version, since I think the AU version may have stayed behind and likely died in the Mag’har Orc unlock scenario. The MU version is important because he was leading the Boulderfist Clan in Outland:

He says the following:

"So, this is Azeroth, and this is the “New Horde”, hm? The orcs have made a decent home for themselves here.

It appears there is even room for us half-breeds at this new Kosh’harg. I see Garona, and the Mok’nathal.
I hope Blackhand is rolling in his grave."

I don’t know if the MU Lancrestor joins the current Horde after this or not, but if so, we could see reason to add another Ogre clan to the Horde as a result.

I’ll have to do some research on the Boulderfist clan in another post, but it is kinda exciting to see another potential Horde Ogre clan. If Blizzard went with the multiple Horde Ogre clan route, we might be able to add the Boulderfist clan to that roster if MU Lancrestor decides to join the Horde. Not a guarantee, of course, but a possibility.

I’ll keep an eye out for anything else Ogre-related to report back here, and I’ll make a Boulderfist Clan post in the future when I’m not tired and fighting allergies.

7 Likes

If they work on the model detail a bit, especially the feet if we want to hide the foot slot, I’d be down for this. Also, female ogres? Size isn’t an issue for me, really. In game, they come in many. The ones we fought in Nagrand, back in Outland, for example, weren’t all that big.

6 Likes

The Boulderfist Clan is an interesting point. There was so much dialogue and interesting stuff there I couldn’t remember all of it, but the Mok’nathal stood out to me. Having them officially join the Horde and leave their isolation would be big news.

6 Likes

Just bumping thread in support of playable Ogres. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s unclear but he does remark that the Horde loyalists Burning Blade Warlocks who are present at the festival are the closest thing he has to kin. So it’s possible in connecting with the likes of Arnak Fireblade, he could join the Horde and bring along the Boulderfist clan.

4 Likes

In the new hearthstone expansion (Festival of Legends), we get a female ogre card. So we got another picture with an ogre female. It seems a perfect representation for the last model missing (female model) to get ogre as playable race.

https://imgur.com/uTzQcbM

7 Likes

How interesting that we get a new official art piece of female Ogres, even if it is in Hearthstone and not WoW.

I know that the Hearthstone team usually does their own thing with some liberties taken with lore and character designs, which usually doesn’t have an effect on WoW, though that all has to be approved by multiple people and departments at Blizzard. However, seeing official female Ogre artwork appear is very exciting. Moreso since this official artwork in a game.

I can’t say if this would lead to anything in WoW, so I do recommend expectations being tempered. On the other hand, it’s a great sign to see this. Maybe we’ll have a chance of seeing female Ogre NPC’s in WoW in the future, but we’ll see what happens when/if it happens.

Thank you for sharing this! I’ll have to add this to the main post of the megathread when I can. I just need the time and energy to plan out an update along with hoping that it doesn’t look like the quadratic equation exploded when I do edit it.

10 Likes

Considering that even Hearthstone, which has fleshed out a lot of things the main game hasn’t bothered with, has traditionally avoided female ogres as well, it’s really nice to see this. Karrga has seemed to have remained somewhat obscure trivia, at the very least perhaps this will start being widely known as proof that female ogres canonically exist even if they still don’t appear in World of Warcraft.

4 Likes