The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Had this video pop up in my YouTube recommendations of an Ogre dancing to techno music:

I never get tired of Ogre dancing. Maybe if we’re lucky enough to get playable Horde Ogres, we’ll do an Ogre dance party in Orgrimmar as part of our celebration. Not counting our chickens before they hatch, of course, but it never hurts to have some plans just in case. :smiley:

Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

I think a good pairing for ogres would be ogre vs vrykul but more recently I have been more open to the idea of ogre vs mogu.

They can finally use that thunder king charged staff that Jaina has laying around.

6 Likes

Can’t remember if I mentioned or not here, but I got my Ogre child.

Hes being taken in by my Orc Shaman whose clan takes in orphans and makes them members of his Blackcrag Clan.

4 Likes

Ill bite… what race is the dreaded unspoken here?

It ends with Elves and it starts with the opposite of Low.

4 Likes

They were my original pairing for ogres, as they would finish off both factions having their Warcraft II rosters and both had canonical groups still on their factions to this day (we mentioned forest trolls and such earlier, but that’s more in the sub-race category, whereas these two were completely unplayable on their respective factions at the time). Then they had to go and make the whole situation super weird both with the Allied Races and with the later customization, and that’s all I’ll say about it right now.

Frankly I’m not sure what to pair ogres with anymore. I think it’s important to pair them with something good. Ever since Burning Crusade it’s been a controversy that the Horde will get a fan-favorite or long-requested race and the Alliance will get something… unexpected (for those who don’t know, both draenei and worgen basically didn’t exist as we know them now until they suddenly became Alliance races). That baggage makes it a worth its own discussion though, so I’ve historically tended to completely ignore it when I make ogre campaigns.

Me too! You know, I’m not big on the pets and even as an ogre fan there’s a good chance I would have passed up on him because he’s pretty expensive… except I found him legitimately adorable, seriously one of the cutest pets in the game, which I never would have expected. So I ended up getting him after all.

6 Likes

He is very cute!

I regret nothing.

5 Likes

High elves do fit that level of being iconic but that would cause a major poop storm so if you did add helves I would add a bunch of allied races to address this.

If they wanted to really make allied races a serious system and a part of wow they could have “seasons” of allied races.

My personal(and most likely very flawed) 1st season would be:
ogre v mogu
fel blood v high elf
man’ari v broken

I mostly used man’ari as a faction swap to match high elf.

My follow up season would focus on bestial races like saberon, arrakoa and saurok

2 Likes

I see a lot of race requests nowadays that are like “other people want this!” or “since we got that shouldn’t we get this?” and it kinda makes me nervous. I mean, as long as even a single person wants a race I won’t tell them they should never get it or anything, it’s just that, especially when it comes to “what race should the Alliance get?” I feel there’s a serious risk of an Abilene Paradox. There’s a lot of speaking for other people, and it makes me nervous that in an attempt to actually give the Alliance a fan-favorite race this time, we’ll end up with a race everyone assumed people wanted but few people had any real attachment to.

That’s one of the great things about ogres. They’re a really clear choice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:clown_face::clown_face::clown_face: /10char

1 Like

I really wish I knew what they were thinking about Allied Races. The Dracthyr, for instance, despite being a “core” race, follow the Allied Race pattern of reusing rigs and their almost complete inability to wear armor in their true form isn’t the sort of thing you’d expect from a “core” race. So at this point it seems it’s more about what they feel is appropriate for when they add the race rather than whether it’s “Allied” or not.

Actually, if anything that’s why I was really hoping patch races would start becoming a thing. I totally get waiting for the “right time” when an expansion theme lines up with a race and all that, but at the same time, there are so many races that could be done, and waiting for all the stars to align is kinda ridiculous when you look at it from the other direction. I’d rather just get some of them in a lazier state than wait 20 years for them to be just perfect.

2 Likes

Considering void elves have that as a customization option, I really don’t see a third playable race having access to the same model happening.

2 Likes

And that’s one of the exact “super weird” situations Blizzard backed themselves into that I could go on about for days. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Basically they got the drawbacks of the weird Wildhammer situation, but they weren’t even attached to a main race, they were attached to a made up race that didn’t exist at all before their sudden invention, which is completely backward at best.

It’s such a relief that it’s basically impossible for that to happen to ogres. XP The weirdest thing I see suggested for ogres is that they reuse another completely inappropriate race’s rig, but I don’t think there’s a real danger of Blizzard doing that.

4 Likes

Neither do I.

2 Likes

I’ll open by saying that I am for ogres becoming playable. I’m not in favor of the Stonemaul because they’re the quintessential “me big and dumb” ogres, especially when you compare them to the Gorian Empire seen in WoD, which is basically the Roman Empire but with ogre mages, legionnaires, gladiators and (most importantly) characters you could take seriously. If any group deserved to the pulled out of AU Draenor, it was the ogres from that setting and not the Mag’har that already exist in Outland. I’ve always felt Blizzard squandered an opportunity there because they were (and I really hate using this word) unique as a society and aesthetically.

Most lamentably, Azeroth ogres have regressed so much that it’d be impossible to try to replicate the structure seen in the WoD ogres. You can’t have the dumb dumbs that live in mounds and caves suddenly organizing themselves into the equivalent of roman legions and start wearing togas. It’d make no sense and be too sudden.

1 Like

Exiles Reach suggests otherwise.

2 Likes

I believe in you! Also, humans, because of their dance, are dying out. Target gnomes with your passion. ogre + gnome = human.

2 Likes

I think i know the real reason why we might never get ogres, you’d see a very large and sudden shift and drop in tauren players and other big player races

I really want a female ogre now, wouldn’t make sense but i love a pally.

1 Like

Assuming we don’t write off the entirety of Exile’s Reach as a reuse of recent game assets (because it’s structured as a standalone adventure to make new players feel like heroes; that’s why they even have you slay an undead dragon), that only tells us that you have some ogres that bear a semblance of civilization. None of them, to my knowledge, are of the Stonemaul.

As I see it, the only approach that has a chance of working would be to pull some Caesar’s Legion level stuff. Have either someone who is not an ogre but acquired Gorian artifacts and records or an ogre who fell out of an AU Draenor portal into Azeroth, and have them manage to convince the dumb dumbs that live in mounds and caves to listen (much easier said than done because your run-of-the-mill ogre respects only strength).

1 Like