The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Lemme be an ogre with the fattest of tids.

Snusnu Nutcrusher the Man-eater.

3 Likes

Defiantly some exciting news.

My thoughts exactly.

Should have been done years ago tbh.

Ohh myyy.

5 Likes

Itā€™s nice to see that. Maybe itā€™s a good sign for the ogre race and it will get more things in the future.

4 Likes

That sounds like a dungeon boss.

1 Like

Winter Veil has gone live in-game!

As you can see, Iā€™m in my ā€œfestiveā€ gear for the holidays, which is a favorite time of year for me. :christmas_tree:

As usual, Iā€™ll be taking some festive screenshots for some of the race request megathreads. It looks like the Orgrimmar sleigh ride is functioning so far, and hopefully it remains that way so I can take some screenshots with it. Last year, the Orgrimmar sleigh ride kept disappearing, maybe the reindeer were on strike or something, and I had to make several bug reports in-game and on the forums. If all goes well, Iā€™ll see what screenshots I can take this year when time is free and inspiration strikes!

In the meantimeā€¦

Iā€™ll be asking Great-father Winter for some new playable Horde and Alliance races as usual to find under my Winter Veil tree! :crocodile: :japanese_ogre: :bat: :tiger2: :bear:

Though maybe this yearā€¦

Santa Bagzak can give some Winter Veil cheer and make some race request megathreadsā€™ wishes come true!..well, wishful thinking, but itā€™d still be fun to do! :santa:

Whatever everyoneā€™s plans are for the holidays, please have a fun, happy, and safe Winter Veil!

Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

In 10.0.5, we are getting chain mail bikinis. Now Iā€™m sharing this here because frankly chain maul bikinis feel like a female Ogre thing.

2 Likes

Gonna post this in both my megathreads. Blizzard is accepting applications for the Community Council in 2023:

As you probably know, Blizzard rotates members out of the Community Council every year. Previous members can still apply for future rotations, though preferential treatment allegedly wonā€™t be considered.

This time, Iā€™ve gone ahead and submitted an application. For the first round of Community Council applications, I didnā€™t really bother to submit an application for a couple of reasons.

First is that I wanted to see what would all be done with it. While some things have been addressed and changes have been made, the whole concept seems like something that would need more time in order to see how effective it actually is and whether Blizzard would stick to the commitment of maintaining it. It seems like the whole thing has slowed down since the Community Council became a thing, but weā€™ll see how getting fresh members in it will affect it.

The other reason is that at the time, I didnā€™t feel like I had much to offer as a member of it compared to others who also were part of the race request megathreads in general. My whole thing on the forums here have been primarily playable race requests, and while new playable races are important to a MMORPG in my opinion, it didnā€™t seem like something that would get much attention or acknowledgement. Whereas others who could have brought playable race requests to the table were also into other aspects of the game, like roleplaying.

Since then, things have changed some for me to have stuff to present along with playable race requests. One of the topics on my mind would be customization races and their treatment of them. As you likely know, I havenā€™t been too happy with how they have been implemented and worry about future customization races as a result. Along with that comes customization for existing races, something still being heavily requested with several megathreads in that regard, and a few other smaller topics.

There have been a few posts on the Community Council that have shown megathreads of new playable races and customization, which has been greatly appreciated. I do think after time has passed, theyā€™re still topics of great importance to the game and worth bringing up again in newer posts. Also, some new megathreads have popped up since those posts and it would be good to make sure they have representation as well.

I do have some concern that being on the Community Council can paint a target on your back in some ways. There have been allegations that the expectations of forumers here have beenā€¦lofty, so to speak, and that some people can be rather vocal in that regard. Itā€™s something Iā€™ll have to take into consideration if I were to be an active member.

I canā€™t say Iā€™d be perfect on there, but I figured there was nothing to lose by putting in an application and seeing if anything comes with it. Obviously, I would make sure all the race request and customization megathreads would get representation, and that I wouldnā€™t go into business for myself. Iā€™m not one to hog the spotlight and would rather be shown as part of a collective of like-minded individuals. I also do not seek fame or glory for that matter.

In the meantime, itā€™s best to not count my chickens before they are hatched. If somehow I get accepted, which I admit will be a low chance, Iā€™ll figure things out from there. Otherwise, Iā€™ll just try again the following year.

I guess weā€™ll see what happens with the Community Council in the future. Iā€™ll keep an open mind and see what direction we head with it. And regardless, Iā€™ll keep at it with support for the races I want to see playable someday.

I do believe that player characters are the most important part of a MMORPG. That includes customization options and new playable races. Theyā€™re things that myself and others have been heavily vocal about and still march in support of to this day. Hopefully, they would get some serious consideration should those at Blizzard see our passion for such things.

3 Likes

Not much of a problem considering no one from the race/customization megathreads got in.

Hopefully they start looking for those type of people for future concideration.

3 Likes

would you make a mini ogre or a giant one

1 Like

Itā€™s a shame since there were several members who wouldā€™ve added a lot, including roleplaying and customization options. Guess weā€™ll see how the second round is handled for selection.

Giant of course. Ogres to me are a big race and should hopefully have a decent size for their playable models.

4 Likes

I wish I could like this post moreā€¦

I need one, no, two of these as characters.

4 Likes

Still waiting for me ogres

7 Likes

In thinking how were getting an ogre child model in the game and how it has me lowkey hyped for playable ogres, I got to wonder at exactly what point I would be able to go from tempering my expectations to just not being able to do.

And Iā€™ve come to realize that if we get female ogres in-game, than Iā€™ll just become convinced that playable ogres are on the cards since wellā€¦ most races with male, female, and kid models are playable or end up becoming playable as seen with the Vulpera.

Which got me wondering, at what point would the rest of you be unable to temper your expectations?

5 Likes

well when theyā€™re added i just want a full consensus on this, are they going to be in terms of player model scale taller than the zandalari in terms of height and will the non pet model of the child model be 5ft like is explained in lore? because i mean these arenā€™t your average character race with them standing alongeside vrykul are literally giant territory in terms of the tallest playable races ingame with gnomes being the shortest

2 Likes

but in all honesty if they achieve something with the trade post itā€™ll be a way to implement things without having to wait a whole 2 or 5 years for a potential expansion just to have more of the same shoveled in your face, donā€™t get me wrong i love dragonflight sumpremely so far i just hope if they utilize this properly they can add races without absurdly overarching systems in play

2 Likes

I have to admit that Iā€™m a bit unclear, are you saying that you want the trading post to be used for future playable races or that added new playable races is done as smoothly as the trading post is looking?

1 Like

After what happened with Darkfallen and their less-than-ideal treatment as a customization race, Iā€™ve kinda learned my lesson about letting my excitement get the better of me. I still kinda have egg on my face from the excited posts I made in the Sanā€™layn megathread. x- x

Seeing the Horde Ogre clans again, especially with an associated rep, or even seeing female Ogres pop up in-game would be exciting to see (Not in that way you perverts, stop snickering! < - <). However, a lot would really depend on the nature of it and whether such things would be a one-off or not, which has happened to several NPC races/groups before.

It would sorta be like the current Tuskarr situation. There is quite a lot that went into them that paralleled some races that became playable, like Vulpera, which has caused a lot of speculation about them possibly becoming playable.

However, itā€™s very possible nothing could come from it. Thus my stance/plan with them is to work on their rep/renown and any particular storyline quests involving them while keeping a character slot reserved just in case.

At the same time, however, I would also keep an open mind about it should nothing come from it. Itā€™s how Iā€™d treat any Ogre related reps we would come across in the future, much as this would be me if the MU Stonemaul Clan appeared again and got their own rep:

With regards to the Ogre child, it seems like at least one is one of those mini pets, likely intended to use in pet battles. Guess Azeroth doesnā€™t have much in the way of child labor laws or so. Itā€™s possible that would be the only use of the Ogre child, at least at first.

Certainly, the model could be used and edited to put Ogre children as NPCā€™s, likely with the MU Stonemaul Clan, but I havenā€™t seen anything about that so far only than just a mini pet. To contrast, seeing a friendly Ogre settlement, preferably Horde Ogre related, and having female Ogres with them would be much more notable.

Another thing that I view is that if Ogres were to be playable, they might be a race weā€™d see them announced with a new expansion and likely early access given with expansion pre-orders. I mostly think this from all the work that would have to be done to get them playable and satisfactory with players. So itā€™s possible weā€™d see that first as opposed to a Tuskarr situation, along with whatever Alliance would get (I vote Furbolgs!).

Weā€™ll have to see where this all leads us to, assuming it leads us anywhere. Regardless, Iā€™ll help to report anything that pops up in the future, but I still recommend tempering expectations just to be on the safe side is all. And of course keep up the playable Horde Ogre support!

3 Likes

Got a couple of general WoW news things to share in both my megathreads!

First, Blizzcon will return next year, with details comingā€¦ermā€¦next year:

I know Blizzard was interested in having an in-person Blizzcon again next year, so I wonder if that will come to be.

Whenever it does happen, Iā€™ll be covering it as usual. Unfortunately, I wonā€™t be able to attend any in-person events for the forseeable future, as fun as it could be to go there.

And on a related note, Blizzard also posted a roadmap for Dragonflight plans:

There is some potential to see the MU Stonemaul Clan at the very least, given their history with Onyxia. Future Dragonflight patches will be something to keep an eye out on, albeit it with an open mind. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if they didnā€™t show up at all, but weā€™ll see what happens as we go along in the expansion.

Nothing specifically mentioned about new customization options or new playable races. Customizations do seem to considered, since Zandalari are suppose to get new hair colors. As for new races, speculation is still high for Tuskarr to possibly become playable at some point, which they have had requests since WotLK. Not a guarantee, of course, but there are a number of features they have of some previous races that did become playable. Iā€™m guessing such an announcement would be at a Blizzcon or possibly an early access thing for preordering the expansion after Dragonflight.

At the time of this post, Iā€™m actually close to the current max renown with Tuskarr (30). I primarily did the Soup Event when possible, along with any quests I could find involving them. I have a character slot reserved in case they do and are treated like allied races with unlock criteria. Weā€™ll see if anything is done with them, though.

Regardless of what does or doesnā€™t happen, Iā€™ll keep at it with the playable Horde Ogre support. Hopefully, weā€™ll see something with the MU Stonemaul Clan at least.

3 Likes

Congratulations on that, Iā€™m almost at renown 18 with them.

2 Likes

Has there ever been any instance of a race getting a kid model only for it to never be used for a kid NPC ? Spending the resources on making a brand new model for a preexisting race and only using it for some random battle pet sounds stupid.

5 Likes