The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

Thats why this isnā€™t a Vrykul thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Saurok for the players!
:meat_on_bone: :crocodile:

2 Likes

While I wouldnā€™t expect elf levels in terms of player count, I do think Saurok would be generally liked and would be successful.

WoW announcing a playable lizardman race would be huge news and create a big marketing buzz, since itā€™s a fantasy race that has yet to become playable in the game. It would add some much needed character customization options and would also compliment the Horde very well with being a unique reptilian race while fitting right in.

It also would attract people who like lizardmen races, such as those who played Iksar characters back in the days of Everquest and also interest people who play Argonians in Elder Scrolls Online. With regards to the Iksar, it would likely bring back a lot of good memories people had of Ruins of Kunark, potentially getting those players to check WoW out.

I do think a decent amount of players would play Saurok characters and would generally have a positive reception. As I said before, theyā€™d be a breath of fresh air and really exciting news if they were to become playable.

I know that it would be a dream come true for me to see them become a playable Horde race! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

5 Likes

I followed your old ogre megathread and was happy to find the new one, then I learned you had a saurok megathread too - youā€™re like my favorite person on the forums
I personally would prefer Mogu as a next Pandaria race (I always bounce back and forth between what I want most - mogu or ogre) but I always loved the saurok too; I remember that one daily on the isle of thunder that letā€™s you transform into a saurok and I would just hang out there as one. Mogu or saurok or ogre, I would be ecstatic with this new addition to the horde (especially because the horde would feel so complete with its ogres as an official race again)

3 Likes

I really appreciate the appreciation. Itā€™s a lot of work to maintain one megathread, let alone two, so Iā€™m happy there are people who enjoy what I do. Iā€™m honestly surprised people would consider me as a favorite forum goer here. ^^;

The old Ogre megathread wasnā€™t actually created by me. It was made by someone else well before I came onto the forums. It was after BfA was announced with allied races that I discovered the different race megathreads, hopped on to support Ogres, and then got the courage to make my Saurok megathread. I appreciate the work the OP did for the previous Ogre megathread, but for the reasons I stated at the end of it, I felt that Ogres needed a new megathread, and so far it has been working out swimmingly. :japanese_ogre:

As for the Mogu, there isnā€™t anything wrong with wanting them to be playable. We all have races we want playable, after all. The main issue I have is that, in my personal opinion, Saurok would likely not be on the same faction if Mogu did become playable (at least without some massive creativity). So if Mogu of some kind joined the Horde, then the chances of playable Horde Saurok would fall drastically. I would, however, be fine with Mogu on the Alliance, since that would give even more reason for the Saurok to go Horde. I also personally view the Mogu more as great villains in general.

Iā€™m just very much a believer that Saurok would be a natural fit in the Horde for reasons I listed up on the main post of the megathread. Itā€™s all personal preference, of course, though I do try to explain with some reasoning why I support what I do. :lizard:

As I said, all of what I just typed is my personal opinion. As long as I get my Saurok and Ogres on the Horde side of that character creation screen, Iā€™d honestly be happy.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the megathreads! Iā€™m still planning to do more stuff for both of them as time goes on, but feel free to make posts in them to share your ideas and such too!

:meat_on_bone::crocodile:

:cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

3 Likes

Happy beginning of March, everyone! Itā€™s a fun time for me since my birthday is very close to the end of month! Iā€™ll be turning 35 this year!..and boy, do I really feel old. x- x

Iā€™ll be trying to think of some fun posts and such for both my megathreads. Itā€™s a good time to do some celebrating, so why not show support for my most wanted races while Iā€™m at it?

Iā€™ve also finished all four of the covenant campaigns to see what their stories were like. Didnā€™t see much in the way of Saurok in any of them, though I didnā€™t really expect much other than potentially the Necrolords campaign. Until the next patch hits, the main thing to do next would be to upgrade the abomination creation thingus with the Necrolords covenant to see if I get to make any abominations for Saurok spirits of any sort.

The only other thing potentially at the moment with Shadowlands I can think of is the Maw, which I have been avoiding like the plague when possible. I may try to do a little bit to explore it and see what I find, though I know itā€™s suppose to get a bit better with the next patch.

As I mentioned, Iā€™ll have a dedicated Necrolords character in case covenants get their own unique campaigns next patch. Even if it is just one general campaign for all covenants, Iā€™ll still use them to see if I notice anything of interest.

Not expecting much in the grand scheme of things for Shadowlands, but you never know! :lizard:

More Saurok research to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Greetings, Bagzak. Happy birthday to you! :birthday:

I will be absent from the forum and the game for at least 2 months (or until something new comes up, because doing boring and unrewarding 9.0 is unsatisfactory for me even when 9.1 will not bring anything according to the lamecon) and before I go I would like to I say goodbye temporarily, appropriately to you the one of your great mega thread.
I hope that you will continue with the same energy that you have shown, including helping other topics of interest to the horde with what you have done for the ogres.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm for ogres and sauroks.
Pity that more people in the horde do not show the same level of commitment.

And even if I am absent, I will continue to support your suggestions.

Good luck and good night.

2 Likes

I think it is a great time currently to take a break from the game. There isnā€™t much going on at the moment, and itā€™ll be awhile before we see the next patch, let alone the patch after that which could end up being the final patch for the expansion. Even then, I honestly havenā€™t been getting into Shadowlands much at all, given my disdain for the setting. Iā€™m more interested in seeing what comes next, hoping weā€™ll be back on Azeroth.

Call me insane, but Iā€™m still planning to continue onward playing the game. A lot is really going to depend on what comes after Shadowlands whether my interest in the game increases or wanes. Iā€™m hoping to see WoW become better as opposed to becoming like Everquest 1 is currently, where it is run by a skeleton crew with no hope for new races, classes, and an ever dwindling population.

So long as Iā€™m playing, however, I still intend to raise my banner of support high for playable Saurok and Ogres on the Horde. Lizardmen are a fantasy race Iā€™m passionate about, being very dear to my heart, and Ogres seem to be something that has really grown on me through my Ogre character from Everquest I hope to make in WoW someday.

The stance I take is that there is a possibility that anything I do wonā€™t increase the chances of them both becoming playable, but itā€™s something I need to at least try and see how things go. Iā€™m still considering different avenues of showing support and other things to do as well, as I still feel like showing support of some sort is better than not having support of any sort.

That said, I hope you enjoy your break. Iā€™ll likely still be here if you decide to return, and youā€™ll always be welcomed here as well. I really appreciate your support for my megathreads and helping to add potential interest to playable Horde Saurok. :lizard:

So long as I keep playing, Iā€™ll continue to dream of seeing Saurok and Ogre players in Orgrimmar as official champions of the Horde. :meat_on_bone::crocodile: :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

AmƩm. :clap:

2 Likes

I thought up of a fun Saurok related recipe that would be neat to see in the game:

ā€œMeatzza- The ultimate food for meat lovers. Even the crust is made out of meat!ā€

A meatzza is apparently a real thing, where a lot of meat is used as ingredients to make a pizza of sorts. I actually first saw the idea of this in a Ninja Turtles cookbook (yes, really) and searched online to see what others have created.

This recipe I came across uses ground beef as a crust and what inspired the above idea ofr in-game:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228652/pepperoni-meatza/

There are a lot of different variants/recipes and multiple spellings of the concept, but the idea is still a neat one for Saurok. After all, if the idea of meat being important to Saurok society becomes a reality, it would make sense that Saurok chefs would innovate dishes like a meatzza.

Just a fun idea and recipe I wanted to share! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

For fun, I thought up some Saurok NPC quotes, where you click on a NPC and they say something. Here is what I came up with:

Assume that Saurok would make ā€œsssā€ sounds with some syllables.

ā€œDeath to all Mogu!ā€

ā€œThe Mogu shall pay for their arrogance!ā€

ā€œWe are slaves no more!ā€

ā€œTo hunt is to live.ā€

ā€œThe meat of our enemies shall strengthen our might!ā€

ā€œGlory to the Saurok!ā€

ā€œ-hissing sound that sounds fierce but not aggressive-ā€

And also for fun, I made up some annoyed quotes. This is where you click on a NPC multiple times and irritate them, which I think may have been removed at some point. Here is what I came up with:

ā€œI suddenly have a craving for finger food.ā€

ā€œInterested in seeing the ingenuity of Saurok dentistry?ā€

ā€œPerhaps I shall take you out for a meal sometime.ā€

I tried to give them a fitting personality with these quotes. If I think of any more, Iā€™ll be sure to share them in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

One of their sillys could beā€¦

ā€œhuh!? What was that?! Ohā€¦ Sorry my vision is based on movement.ā€

I know theyā€™re not related to dinosaurs but I sometimes think of itā€¦ Be a reference to Jurassic Park.

2 Likes

Still holding hope for playable Saurok. Iā€™m down (very much so) after the customization announcement. But sitting here and giving up wonā€™t help the situation. I would roll these in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still maintaining hope myself for playable Horde Saurok someday. Theyā€™re a race that have a lot of potential, and a lizardmen race would be a huge announcement for the game. Iā€™m sure itā€™d be fairly popular and well received also. Iā€™ll keep marching in support of them as best as I can.

Not to mention that WoW really could use some reptiles on that character creation screen! :snake: :crocodile: :turtle:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve mentioned before that Lizardfolk are an official playable race in Dungeons & Dragons. Turns out that theyā€™re also playable in Pathfinder!

I came across a wiki that talks about how they are in the game, including some really cool artowkr:

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Lizardfolk

I also came across a blog where someone typed up some of their features in the game:

http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2015/06/races-of-pathfinder-lizardfolk.html

They have your typical features you would expect of a Lizardman race (natural armor, bite attack, tail attack, swimming, etc). Not a whole lot of new ground to tread here, but it is still a fun read, though!

Iā€™ve been looking at different tabletop RPG books (Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, etc) to read for fun and to gain some creative inspiration for future writings I had planned to do for my characters, as well as look at any lizardmen sections in said books for Saurok idea inspiration. If I actually played any of those games, I feel like Iā€™d be better suited as a DM than as a player, as odd as that sounds.

Itā€™s pretty cool to see big named games in the table top RPG market have playable lizardmen races. I assume some of the Star Wars table top RPGā€™s have Trandoshans playable also. Letā€™s hope that WoW will follow suit someday with playable Horde Saurok! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve mentioned before trying to find new avenues of showing support for the races I want playable, and there is a method to do this in-game that anyone can also do!

Once a month on only one character, I send an in-game suggestion for the races I want playable. I do one suggestion for each race and refer to their megathreads on the official US WoW forums for more information. Itā€™s something I donā€™t regularly do, as I donā€™t want to spam the system, but it is something I try to at least do occasionally.

If youā€™re interested in submitting in-game feedback for any races you are interested in becoming playable, here is how to get to it in game:

Step 1: Press ESC to bring up the general menu.

Step 2: Click ā€œSupport.ā€ Itā€™s at the very top of the menu.

A new window in-game should load. It can take a few seconds for it to load completely. Underneath the ā€œSearch World of Warcraft Supportā€ search bar, you should see a line of square images that refer to specific categories of support.

Step 3: Click the ā€œSubmit feedback or bug reportā€ square. It should be on the far left when you first load the support window.

Itā€™ll take a second to load that part.

Step 4: Click the lightbulb icon on the right that says ā€œSubmit a suggestionā€

Step 5: Click in the text box on this window to begin typing a suggestion.

Youā€™re now ready to submit an in-game suggestion!

Itā€™s limited to 500 characters you can type, so you have to be a bit creative in the limited space. As I said before, I usually do one suggestion for each race I want playable, giving a very brief mention of the race, the faction I want it for, and why I feel theyā€™d be great to add. I then make sure to type the name of the associated megathread, assuming they have a megathread, and mention theyā€™re on the official US WoW forums, stating to go there for more info, such as ideas, fan support/designs, ongoing discussions, etc.

When you submit the feedback, it states you wonā€™t get a response, but that itā€™ll be looked at in some way. Now, this wouldnā€™t be a sure-fire way to get a race playable, but it canā€™t hurt to do so in my opinion. After all, we have to show support somehow!

So for those interested in supporting a race you want playable, this is how to do it in-game. As I said, I usually do this once a month (on just one character) at most so as to not spam the system. However, multiple people doing it could help a lot to showing support for races weā€™d love to see playable.

Also make sure youā€™re submitting a suggestion and not a bug. I mean, yes, the character creation screen lacking playable reptilian races is quite the game-breaking bug (with an easy fix!), but a suggestion will likely be received better as opposed to sending that as a bug report.

Iā€™ll continue to think of other ways to support playable Saurok and Ogres for the Horde. Iā€™m also open to suggestions if anyone has any! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

4 Likes

In looking for Saurok idea inspiration, I did come across the book from Pathfinder 2nd Edition that lets you create a Lizardfolk character with some really cool artwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzV7B5W8rs

I also came across a website that has some information that comes from this book in detail.

Pathfinder Lizardfolk general info (names, lore, personality ideas, etc)

https://2e.aonprd.com/Ancestries.aspx?ID=15

Pathfinder Lizardfolk Heritages (types such as frilled, ones accustomed to wetlands, etc):

https://2e.aonprd.com/Heritages.aspx?Ancestry=15

Pathfinder Lizardfolk feats:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?Traits=226

There is quite a bit here that would work really well for Saurok idea inspiration!

The heritage web page is very interesting since it goes over different types of lizardfolk. The Cloudleaper Lizardfolk are great climbers while Sandstrider Lizardfolk can resist the sun and fire in general, for example. Some great ideas here for Saurok racial and customization ideas!

Iā€™ll have to go over this some to see what ideas I come up with. I may look into getting that book also, since Iā€™ve been looking at tabletop RPG books in general to get some creative inspiration for future writings I plan to do for characters I want to write stories about someday. I still need to go over my Seraphon Battletome and also want to look more at how Dungeons and Dragons handles playable Lizardfolk. Lots of things to read!

As I said before, seeing big named games like Dungeonā€™s and Dragons and Pathfinder evolving to offer playable races like Lizardfolk is really cool to see. Still hoping WoW evolves with them and offers us playable Horde Saurok someday! :lizard:

More Saurok research to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

Luckily I care about Saurok, so thatā€™s objectively wrong. :slight_smile:

Saurok for the horde.

5 Likes

Dear sir and or madam,

You are wrong and should feel bad.

I care greatly for Saurok as an AR.

Saurok for the Horde. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

Canā€™t wait for my epicurean Saurok to try all the recipes in the world(of warcraft).

3 Likes

Some good news: Iā€™ve finished my current class with a 99.24% (A) and I have some free time before my next class starts!

Iā€™m planning to look over the main post of my megathreads to add new sections and possibly revamp some existing ones. I have some ideas of things to add, like fan works (writings, artwork, etc) and such. Maybe a few new jokes Iā€™ve thought of as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to post them! I should hopefully be able to make another update very soon.

Iā€™ve also been thinking of doing more Saurok screen shots, both story-form and for-fun form. There are a few locales Iā€™ve thought of showing how Saurok could look as player characters in those areas. I feel itā€™s important to be able to visualize it for some potential inspiration.

Lots of ideas to look into, things to read and research, and plenty of things to do to show off playable Horde Saurok support! :lizard:

As always, more Saurok research and support to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

4 Likes

I wanted to mention that I got my Necrolords character to Renown rank 40, so they will be ready for the next patch in case each covenant gets their own story campaign again with the new renown ranks.

Not personally expecting to see much in terms of Saurok, but if I happen to see any more Saurok spirits involved in some fashion, Iā€™ll be sure to report it. I wouldnā€™t expect anything to be a hint of Saurok stuff being in the near future, but it would be interesting to see Saurok accepting of their new role in the afterlife of working with other beings of different types to defend the Shadowlands as a member of the Necrolords. I mean, getting to eat stuff and fight a lot sounds like a fitting place for Saurok to be!

Seeing as weā€™ve been seeing Saurok in some fashion for awhile since BfA, part of me is hoping that people at Blizzard like them as well and will continue adding them to other expansions in some fashion (with the ultimate hope of them becoming a playable Horde race someday). Itā€™s wishful thinking, I will admit, but hey, a Darkspear Troll can dream, canā€™t he?

Needless to say, Iā€™ll be keeping an eye out for them in future patches/expansions and reporting my findings. Iā€™ll also continue to hope for playable Horde Saurok someday, of course! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes