The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

He’s referring to Alex.

1 Like

You know, it’s frustrating. Because I’m down for a model like Alexstrasza’s in HOTS… but… they gave it to Alexstraza.

I’ve seen Alexstraza before. I know how she looks. She has unique model.

I really didn’t like it. It’s not Alexstraza.

1 Like

Ah. I haven’t seen her. I’ll have to look her up.

/edit: OK. Yeah. I see it now. Alexstrasza is pretty “rubenesque” in HOTS.

I have a certain tolorance for new artists wanting to make the work their own. Interpretation and creative license and all that, especially as Dragons seem to be able to appear however they wish.

But they really missed the mark on how she’s depicted in all other iterations, outside what I would consider appropriate.

2 Likes

Sylvanas has that covered.

Garrosh would be a better example, but you two should probably drop this line of sub-argument as you’re rapidly approaching inappropriate-for-forums level stuff, aside from being grossly off-topic.

what about garithos :thinking:

I actually prefer jaina in HOTS, looks a lot more like her warcraft 3 appearance

Ask the Undead from Lordaeron.

Her new outfit is my favorite. not sure why she insisted on pajama pants in the past.

I enjoy HOTS because by and large, the artists gave every character their WC3 rendition as a base, and other updated looks as other options, as well as retaining most of the original VAs.

Arthas. Uther. Jaina. Tyrande. Illidan. Malfurion. Maiev. Sylvanas. Medivh. Thrall. Kel’thuzad. Anub’arak. Chen.

HOTS gave me such heavy WC3 feels and it’s disappointing the studio didn’t just atart work on some AU WC4 instead of being split to other projects and putting the game on maintenance mode.

The alternate universe skins are great too. Betrayer Malfurion. Shan’do Stormrage. Evil Maiev and Warden Tyrande. Felhammer Thrall, etc. It must’ve been so fun to have all Blizzard licenses and characters at your fingertips to mess with as an artist.

2 Likes

True, I was never a fan of her outfit. Was pretty skimpy for someone who only had eyes for Arthas

True, especially after the altreac valley map where you see the horde and alliance units clashing together.

I still prefer Arthas’s old VA, but I understand why he was swapped out

I preferred Piera Coppola’s Sylvanas also. I hope Classic retains the original VA.

I honestly didn’t notice Sylvanas’s VA was swapped. Why did that happen?

Couldn’t come to an agreement IIRC, and she retired from voice acting not long after. I’ll always favor her delivery of “What are we if not slaves to this torment.” over Patty Mattson’s take.

It’s very straining work. Listening to Maiev’s VA circa WC3 and in Legion/HotS is night and day. She had health ussues I know she had to work through.

I knew Maiev was swapped. I wasn’t aware VActing was straining. The only example I ever heard of the being the case was Goku’s English VA, but that’s because he would scream in his booth nonstop, once to the point he screamed himself unconscious.

Maiev wasn’t swapped.

It’s always been Debi Mae West (who also voices player character Night Elf females and does the original narration in the Vanilla WoW cinematic). But years of voice work can take its toll, and so old Maiev and new Maiev sound very different.

Tyrande’s VA has similarly always been the same, but her WC3 renditions were more cool and collected and less harshly accented than now.

Archimonde’s VA (Nazgrim’s as well), was also surprisingly always the same, despite his delivery in WC3, TBC, and WoD being very different from one another.

Really? But she sounds so… different. I guess Blizz asked to change her tone on the character. I guess she’s just really talented.

She also had major surgery during Legion because her voice was ruined. Voice acting is rough work, and those kinds of low, gravelly voices can be really damaging.