The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Mother always said to avoid wells of magical power.

1 Like

I’ll aceept this as an answer only because I’m not about to go digging in chronicle, whichever one it is.

So sure, all elves are the same species by the definition of it.

So high elves = blood elves

1 Like

:black_heart:

To elaborate, even though you understand, the Sunwell just uses a tiny fraction of the waters from the well of eternity, which is all the arcane magic from Azeroth’s World Soul pouring out because an Old God got ripped out of it.

So Night Elves got that Gold Dragon buff that meant that they kept their form, from the full power of the well of eternity because of the World Tree.

But High Elves didn’t get it and the Sunwell is nothing like the real well of eternity even though it’s incredibly powerful.

They’re just Night Elves on Life Support.

Sure. But also Night Elves.

1 Like

I mean, depending on how you define species, humans, orcs, ogres, draenei and elves are all the same then, since they can all crossbreed with one another.

We have half-human half-elves, half-orcs half-draenei, half-orc half-ogres, Garrona used to be half-orc half-human and the now thankfully non-canon Me’dan was… half-human quarter-orc quarter-Draenei.

1 Like

Also Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, etc are all titanforged beings afflicted by the curse of flesh. So they could all be the same race too.

I’m not a huge fan of this un-nuanced view of races. But…

Race in WoW is a misnomer anyways.

Any real reason to believed the curse of flesh gave them different internal organs?

Probably the only “biological” thing separating Vrykul, Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes is stature, really.

Let’s not be needlessly tedious.

This discussion has been enlightening enough as it is. I’ve been looking for a canon broad term to describe the race that High/Blood elves are. And since I used to think Night elves were a different species, the obvious answer of “elf” was off the table.

But now it all adds up

1 Like

Attempting to apply real-world taxonomy to a game where Planet-Gods created almost every species and the only ones shown to “evolve” naturally are the spawn of alien horrors from beyond the stars can only lead to frustration.

4 Likes

they are not same race is the problem. You won’t find a broad term for that because it doesn’t exist. they are the same species. Please understand species is not the same thing as race.

1 Like

I mean… they were made out of minerals before. They were literally “Forged” by the Titans.

The only real evidence they’re made out of not-magic and composed of flesh is the name of rogue abilities and the fact that we collect hearts and stuff.

When affected by radiation Gnomes can turn into sludge…

My knowledge of chemistry and human anatomy is pretty pointless with WoW.

Like, why do Tauren and Draenei have triceps surae? They literally have giant calf muscles because they look good, but the tendons of those muscles can’t do anything because they’d just run bone into bone.

Technically. They’re all actually Dark Trolls.

1 Like

I think the key is that blizzard needs to clarify this if they haven’t already.

Does magical difference = different race in WoW

Depends
“Races” in the playable sense can have 0 “biological”, as Kul Tirans and Stormwindians are exactly the same, and we’re just limited to one body type for each.

It’s not like characters in-game keep using the term everywhere either.

1 Like

Again, race is a social construct not an actual thing.

You cannot apply it sjnce wow goes off a different definition of it.

Tbh, I think the issue of kul tirans and stormwind humans was a money grab.

1 Like

To grab whose money?

Who else?
10char

Battle for Azeroth pre-order available now! Unlock your void elf and highmountain tauren!

I can. You can’t stop me from doing so and your view of things has nothing to back it up. LIke I said said we have literally applied a name to everything.

I guess earth doesn’t exist. all countries on the planet don’t exist. The universe doesn’t exist. Your house doesn’t exist. I can keep going.

The specific High Elves we are asking for are not Blood Elves, nor are they Void Elves.

They are Thalassian Elves that remained with the Alliance and did not take up the mantle of Blood Elves and join the Horde. Nor did these specific Thalassian elves become transformed through an accident involving an Ethereal into Void Elves.

The specific High Elves we are asking for are the ones that continue to call themselves High Elves and continue to be members of the Alliance to this day.

Evolution is irrelevant.

Magical transformation is irrelevant.

Alliance High Elves do not have to be physiological or magically different from Blood Elves to be a playable allied race. They exist on the Alliance already as NPC’s.

All that’s required is to differentiate them from Blood Elves. This can be done simply by giving them unique hairstyles, a unique idle stance and to use the non-glowing eye options that many High Elf NPC’s already sport. None of these require a biological or magical justification.

10 Likes