The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

I really don’t remember anything from the Q&A about allied races. I had to step away for a few minutes during the PvP section… was it after that?

1 Like

I think? My attention was drifting until I heard, “Allied Races.”

1 Like

Aw man! Did I actually step away RIGHT WHEN they started talking about the topic I was the most interested in and come back when they were done?! Of all the luck!

1 Like

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/8402-Live-Developer-Q-A-with-Game-Director-Ion-Hazzikostas

Allied Races

• There are no new Allied Races in Rise of Azshara.
  • The team is listening to community feedback for what people want to play and will announce Allied races where it makes sense with the story.
  • There could be the ability to repeat Allied Race quests in the future.
6 Likes

I lost a lot of interest on 8.2 all of a sudden…

5 Likes

Good things I took away from the Q&A:

-No allied races in 8.2. This is good to me because it means they can lay groundwork for whatever allied races come next. I mean I know that just means cyborg gnomes and I am not happy about that, but its at least a chance to have the Silver Covenant show up and support the Alliance as a setup for High Elves, however unlikely that might be.

-Transmog stuff. I am happy about the “hide chest” option. I am happy that they are looking into relaxing some restrictions. I am hopeful they will remove the “spec lock” from artifact skins.

-Caverns of Time Portal. YES PLEASE. Now if they could just add a flight path to Gilneas so Alliance has some method of getting to that region besides pestering a mage for a Dalaran Crater portal. Currently the closest flight path is in WPL. -_-

-A desire to increase customization options. Yes it was a very nebulous answer, but at least its on the radar. There’s a problem when some races have as many as 17 hairstyles while others have as few as 6.

-Possibly repeatable allied race unlock quests! Holy crap I have really been wanting this! I really want to play through these again! I hope they can make this happen in the not too distant future.

Obviously there’s a lot of stuff I wanted to know about that didn’t get asked but at least I got some information relevant to my interests.

12 Likes

Looks like I didn’t miss anything. Guess it really just was my cynicism. :frowning:

Sorry about that.

1 Like

No no. 8.2 having no allied races is a GOOD thing!

7 Likes

My immediate thought when the “hide chest” thing got mentioned: suddenly all of those shirts I’ve collected are about to become a lot more relevant for transmog.

13 Likes

I could see how one would interpret this way, but all I can think about is how BfA was sold based upon the guarantee of three amazing new systems:

• Warfronts
  • Island Expeditions
  • Allied Races

That the next major content patch will be entirely without two of the three is somewhat jarring; especially as it’s quite conceivable that some significant percentage of their playerbase has stuck around in BfA solely for those features – I suspect that without Allied Races, I’d be playing something else waiting for WoW to “get gud”.

4 Likes

Keep in mind that Worgen/Goblin updates will be coming in 8.2. I think it’s best for Blizzard to devote their resources to that, instead of splitting resources between the updates, and a new pair of Allied Races.

9 Likes

Yes, I agree. As a Worgen AND Elf fan, I appreciate them taking the time on these two races.

Still want my high elves though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think something that’s struck me, especially in a comment on Reddit, is how negative some people are about High Elves. I just don’t entirely understand it. Yes there are quite a few elf variants and yes high elves would be similar to blood elves, but it’s not like having lots of elf choices makes it impossible to pick Trolls, Orcs, Dwarves, etc, unless you agree that the elves have the better models.

I guess I just wish there were more options for customization. Being able to choose to be High elf, Ogre, Tunkka, etc would all be sweet, and I don’t think it has to be a zero sum game to advocate for any of it :smiley:

12 Likes

All I can think of is that such comments come from people who want something else as an Allied Race, and are afraid it’ll take longer or won’t happen because High Elves are a popular choice.

8 Likes

Not really. Hating on Elves is just an internet thing. Warhammer fantasy base loves to do it too.

Orc, Troll, Dwarf players etc. are always like that. Despite Blood Elves and Orcs/trolls being allied as far as fantasy goes it’s just a thing that happens.

This isn’t a purely Warcraft phenomena. Ever since Gimli took shots at Legolas then hating on a bunch of pretty boy elves is the “Masculine” thing to do.

WoW, Warhammer, Dungeons and Dragons, Lord of the Rings. It’s a fantasy trope.

12 Likes

All I can think of is that such comments come from people who want something else as an Allied Race, and are afraid it’ll take longer or won’t happen because High Elves are a popular choice.

I can see that as a valid criticism. I feel like High Elves would be less work compared to other suggestions (and therefore what’s the harm in them coming first), but as I’m typing this I guess that for High Elves to be satisfying they’d need the heritage armor, starting area, voice over, etc, and that may be enough to work on that it really could impact implementation of some other races.

Still, I think that there’s enough demand for High Elves that it would be worth it, but I can respect that others would want other allied races more.

Thank you for the reply!

1 Like

At this point they should take a shot at low hanging fruit. Easy input for a lot of output is ideal.

The good news is it sounds like they’re listening to what people want to play… and we all know what the most requested race is.

6 Likes

Blizzard is really clever, :joy: of course there’s no Allied Races planned for 8.2, since Legion we’re getting Allied Races only in .5 patches:

7.3.5 Void Elves, Lightforged Draenei, Highmountain Tauren, Nightborne;
8.0.5 Dark Iron Dwarf, Mag’har Orc;
8.1.5 Kul’tirans, Zandalari Troll;
8.2.5 Mechagnomes, Vulpera;

They will make people explore Mechagon, and do all the Junker Gnome stuff first, they’re probably thinking right now: “Hopefully someone will ask for Mechagnomes during 8.2 lifetime, so when we announce them as Allied Race for 8.2.5 at Gamescom we’ll be able to say that we’ve heard the feedback”. :rofl:

Man this whole situation is hilarious, Blizzard intentions are crystal clear, they shouldn’t be afraid if their announcement was supposed to create hype. They’re delaying the announcement because they know it’ll not please many people :rofl:

I can’t stop laughing :joy:

11 Likes

Next Blizzcon: Next allied races announced!

Vulpera, Ogres, San’layn for Horde!

Strawberry Gnomes, Molten Corgis, Fungarians for the Alliance!

11 Likes

You say it like it wouldn’t become the most played AR instantly

4 Likes

Yeah. That’s a Horde one for sure.

1 Like