The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

After BfA I’m hoping they stop with these “cool” races and just give us what we want. I was under the impression that’s what allied races were: races requested in the past, but weren’t unique enough to stand on their own. The only Alliance race I remember people requesting before the AR system was implemented was DI dwarves.

14 Likes

exactly. That is what the allied race system was marketed as from blizzcon until 7.3.5. From then on it became clear that the system was being used by blizzard to help push their story they want to have instead of giving the fans what they want.

5 Likes

I don’t even buy into the “help push the story” part. What story does adding a race have? We’ve been helping the Kul’tirans and Zandalari trolls for a year now. Making them playable is just a bonus.

1 Like

Companies admit changes after failures, and although the Allied Race system itself isn’t a failure, it represents a easier way to recover from them. The problem isn’t on the Allied Race system itself, but rather on the ARs we got on the Alliance side as they are a reflection of a problem Blizzard had with the playerbase over 2018: lack of communication and deafness to player demands. My take is that they are going to admit some changes in their mindset over multiple parts of design and development to try to get out of the hole they dug themselves into, and the Allied Race system will likely be affected.

WoD failed? Let people be Demon Hunters, wield Ashbringer, Doomhammer, bring back iconic characters to the screen, good fanservice one of the things that made Legion great.

19 Likes

it’ll really depend on if they do away with factions after BfA too and allow cross-faction grouping, at that point Blood Elves will fulfill the fantasy of High Elves even more if they’re allowed to group with Alliance races but we’ll see.

1 Like

I don’t think they will ever get rid of factions. Quite simply they can’t. While many in the playerbase are in favor of it just as many are against it to a point they would quit forever. This change would likely kill the game.

3 Likes

Ehh… Not really? I mean, there’s so much that can be done with High Elves that doesn’t work for Blood Elves. Shamans/Druids, Tattoos, Hairstyles/Facial Hair/Jewelry inspired by living with Alliance races, etc…

Visually, Blood Elves would be the, ‘Poor Man’s,’ High Elf, the knock-off store brand that’s close enough if you can’t afford the real name-brand stuff.

8 Likes

Blood Elves wouldn’t fulfull High Elf fantasy even if you could roll a Blood Elf in the Alliance. High Elves are not blue-eyed Blood Elves, neither Blood Elves are green-eyed High Elves

14 Likes

With that logic kul tirans and zandalari aren’t going to be races either since they don’t have someone in the embassy.

This logic is also wonk because they could easily add more allied races throughout the expansion since they never said there was a limit to how many allied races blizz is going to add

4 Likes

I do expect one more set of AR this expansion at least, possibly in 8.3, although I don’t have the foggiest idea what it will be.

I think it may involve the Undead to some degree (I believe the next expansion will be about Bolvar/Lich King), so it may involve Calia and the Redeemed Undead on the Alliance with Horde getting Undead Elves.

If we do get High Elves on the Alliance it might be a 9.0+ thing.

1 Like

as a side note vereesa was there in the embassy in alpha versions of bfa. so was wrathion.

2 Likes

Hehe I wonder if they removed them specifically to avoid some spoiler outcome.

1 Like

Vareesa in the embassy? Hmm…

2 Likes

also theres a bird that flies by the embassy so i think pepe could be the next allied race
:thinking:

1 Like

It would be really ironic if Quel’dorei were a long term plan and we just duked it out for years because they didn’t want to announce until later.

8 Likes

Is that right? I never heard of this (I knew about Wrathion), and I’ve tried to search for any images of her in there, but couldn’t find any (except for a prank in Reddit).

1 Like

My understanding was that she was in a corner sitting in a chair by herself. I didn’t see this myself this is just what I have been told.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put any stock into that rumor. A friend of mine was at that Blizzcon and I asked if he spotted Vereesa in the Embassy (he knew I was interested in High Elves) and he said the only High Elf there was Alleria, and pointed out that Wrathion was oddly there, sitting in a corner.

1 Like

They did say there was a limit. They didn’t specify what it was, but Ion and Alex did an interview where they stated they don’t want a ton of races to make the choice meaningless:

How many Allied Races is enough to lose sense of identity and silhouettes? Who knows.

But making a third Thalassian Elf silhouette sounds too much to me.

2 Likes

Good side? You do know the alliance have a history of racism and slavery. Humans are historically as greedy as a goblin. Dwarves are notoriously isolationists. Night elves are pompous to a T, and gnomes just want their city back. Ya they have some ok sides but to ignore their faults. And call them good? Literally had to make a post to tell you you’re wrong.

2 Likes