The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

We’re talking about an expansion where they went to alternate universe Draenor to get an Allied Orc race to add to the Horde.

Also an expansion where a group of Blood Elves were exiled from Silvermoon and became involved in a one-time incident that infused them with the Void and yet more Velfs appear all the time. The “crack squadron” seems more like an infinite army (yet with infinitely less lore than their High Elven forebears).

Population means nothing. Lore means nothing. The ways to add High Elves into the game are many. It just takes the decision to do it.

If you play the Alliance storyline, Umbric says plainly that they now see the failings of the Horde and Sylvanas and feel they are right to align with the Alliance. Wouldn’t be a stretch to think that it wasn’t just void-infusion that lead to that conclusion and there may be non-Void, normal Blood Elves who don’t want to stay in the Horde either.

New group of defectors turns to Auric, Vareesa, etc … bingo: High Elves on the Alliance in numbers.

9 Likes

And arguably very Horde centric. He was a horde player first and foremost. He has proven to have a limited grasp of the Alliance.

9 Likes

Not gonna lie, I’m still a bit disappointed that the Kul Tiran recruitment scenario doesn’t involve impressing the locals by jumping a shark on waterskis.

3 Likes

but at the same time what ion said is wrong. Ion said that there was no clear distinct group of high elves left yet we have 3 major ones we constantly talk about in this thread.

5 Likes

I disagree.

You have 3 (or more) minor ones with no clear winner. He put it quite accurately when he said there isn’t a clear example of who or what a High Elf is that still exists within Azeroth, and that most have been absorbed into other cultures.

Identifying at least 3 seprate groups of High Elves reinforces, not weakens, that notion.

I think it’s high past time we use Ion as benchmark for anything in the game … class balance, character development, storyline, lore, customer service, player enjoyment …

He’s a talking head with an ego. That’s essentially all he is.

As for the above argument, if they needed that to implement them (which they really don’t if you know anything about High Elves), they could easily create one the same way they created Void Elves out of the blue.

Regular Draenei in comparison to their lightforged kin are “exiles” … not much else defines them. How is that any different for the remaining High Elves?

Why do people come in with such weak arguments presented as rock solid but are actually like the tide coming in on a sand castle … Never understood that.

7 Likes

not really. If anything it provides a diverse background for high elves instead of making them another one dimensional race like so many in WoW.

I can’t remember a single WoW director that was universally adored. Even Metzen was accused of WoW bias. Kalgan and Tigole especially had hate.

And yet I’m fairly positive that each one of those singular groups outnumbers the current number of Void elves in the game.

4 Likes

Arbitrary diversity is meaningless if the end result is still 90% a Blood Elf aesthetically.

Again, does population matter, or doesn’t it?

1 Like

Its one of the most common arguments against High elves, isn’t it?

1 Like

And there we have it: we’re right back to the “BUT MUH MODELS!” argument.

The single most inane, mindless, and entitled argument against adding High Elves.

I’m literally laughing out loud in my office.

Quick! Someone talk about faction balance and how it will destroy the Horde! LOL

11 Likes

??? none of the 3 groups have a blood elf aesthetic. To say that is telling everyone you have no idea what we are talking about and are making your own assumptions instead of trying to listen and understand what we are saying.

2 Likes

Bilgewater Cartel is not the only Goblin group - you have the Steamwheedle which is as big if not bigger and like 80% of Venture Co.,

Darkspears aren’t exactly the main Jungle Troll tribe - if anything, they’re the ones that came closest to extinction.

We could have a whole storyline about the three major High Elf groups coming together.

We could just get one of those groups as a playable race.

4 Likes

But … but … but … THE MODELS!

LOL

It’s always refreshing to see the anti-helfers default to this. It makes all the arguments about lore, population, Ion and his stance just wash away when it all boils down to “they don’t want the Alliance to have a pretty elf race.”

All roads lead to the aesthetic they think one faction has ownership over in a game where there are pretty elves on BOTH SIDES OF THE FIGHT. Honestly, it’s hard NOT to feel some sense of intellectual superiority in this argument.

11 Likes

“You can’t take our models and you can’t have new models because then high elves will look better than blood elves/in lore they look exactly the same with no deviation!!!”

5 Likes

Sometimes it can feel this way but the arguments from actual ignorance is usually extremely rare and they instead fall back on these opinionated and debunked arguments because they can’t accept defeat. They HAVE to do everything in their power to DENY what we want.

5 Likes

In addition: I only chose to play on the Horde because I wanted to play a pretty elf so if you give pretty elves to the Alliance now you’re invalidating years of my life because if the pretty elves had been on the Alliance when they first came out I would have gone Alliance.

This is the essence of “but muh models!”

Equally as laughable are the Horde players who don’t play Blood Elves and have no interest in High Elves wanting them to NOT be playable because it’ll maybe make their queue times longer … “but but but FAKSHUN BALANCE!”

8 Likes

It doesn’t, but if you’re going to keep bringing it up then you can’t blame people for responding to it.

2 Likes