The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

honestly andorhal was one of the few ones I actually liked. It was definitive and properly ended that storyline without leaving the place half destroyed and seemingly unresolved.

The forsaken won the battle and got the town as a result.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Its been a while. I’d blocked most of that stuff.

1 Like

Blizzard, the only company where in the face of their loyal fans begging for a product which they will pay real money for thumbs their nose and yells “neener, neener!”

6 Likes

I didn’t have an issue with Andorhal falling to the Forsaken, I had an issue with the build-up being, “Yeah, we’re winning! Good job killing those guys!” And then, “You killed the big bad Val’kyr! Oh, but we suddenly lost. Sorry.”

6 Likes

And if you’re playing on the Horde side… Sylvanas was just watching the whole thing? And doing nothing? And only steps in when Koltira and Thassarian decide to walk away from each other? And then proceeds to capture Koltira and does NOTHING with him for… three expansions?

Yeah, I blocked a good chunk of Cataclysm for a good reason. I think the stuff with the Wildhammers was the best part.

oh yeah. I really loved twilight highlands.

The only disappointing part of it is they cut the planned alliance intro

I’m mixed. On the one hand, it definitely could have been more epic and dramatic.

On the other hand, I ADORED Flintlocke’s Guide to Azeroth and Flintocke vs the Horde. So seeing Flintlocke made me giddy.

4 Likes

I never said that Arcane could cleanse fel. I was merely pointing out how two different sources claim the Sunwell to be two different things.

I have to disagree, as the fel eyes we Blood Elves have is more of a radiation sickness than anything else. Which means that just being around high enough concentrations of Arcane magic should override the fel contamination. That’s my belief anyways. Not that I really care about getting blue eyes, the green goes better with my hair.

I’m pretty sure that’s not how it works. If that were true, then Orc mages would be brown.

This is because of their own faction bias, while Alliance keep receiving Allied Races that they’ve never asked for, Horde gets exactly what they want.

I made a post about it in the past:

Alliance asked for High Elves since Vanilla:

And got this:

Alliance asked for Mechagnomes, a robot race:

And are going to get this:

Alliance asked for Vry’kul:

And are going to get this:

Horde asked for Brown Orcs/Mag’har:

And got this:

Horde asked for Zandalari:

And going to get this:

Horde asked for Nightborne (Alliance asked as well):

And got this:
https://www.gamelooting.com/media/image/product/23748/lg/en-world-of-warcraft-nightborne.jpg

Horde asked for Vulpera:

And are probably going to get this:

16 Likes

It’s honestly a difficult point of the Lore that needs better explanation to be honest. Glowing Eyes didn’t start manifesting for Thalassian Elves until the Blood Elves came up. Prior to that, Thalassian Elves had non-glowing eyes in a variety of colors. Alleria’s eyes used to be Green, as an example.

The exposure to the Fel Magic used to rebuild Silvermoon is what has given all Blood Elves the distinctive green eyes, but part of me wonders if it was the mana-draining techniques which gave them glowing eyes. This might even make some sense as some High Elves have glowing eyes and others don’t. It could be that draining magic from artifacts gave them glowing eyes, while those who pushed through the addiction through willpower (or meditation if it is canonized), would lack glowing eyes.

As for how Blood Elves can get green eyes being around Fel, but High Elves in the Alliance Expedition in Outland for two decades didn’t get green eyes despite Fel being all over the place, or how Vereesa’s eyes didn’t go green while on Argus, is also a question.

I can only conclude that when the Sunwell was gone, all Thalassian Elves were like dry sponges, and absorbed whatever was around them. Now that the Sunwell is back, they’re saturated sponges, so they don’t take in magic around them as easily, and thus don’t develop different colored eyes depending on their environment.

There’s also a difference between radiation sickness and actually chugging down demon blood. Still in the end it comes down to what Blizzard decides. The way I see it is Alliance doesn’t have the final say that in who gets blue eyed Elves, and Horde doesn’t have the final say in who gets pale skinned Elves. Although there are some who would like to believe that the latter is true, when it is not.

I think draining fel energy from demons is a bit more than “radiation sickness” but hey, you do you.

When I started playing shortly after the release of Burning Crusade I believe at that time lore claimed we got our green eyes from draining demons and tapping into the demonic crystals. A bunch of players didn’t like that so it was changed into a radiation sickness. I myself always liked the idea of draining demons and tapping them not the fel crystals. So RP wise I keep my characters as having gotten their green eyes through those nefarious means.

most orcs didn’t drink the demon blood. They were just around those that did.

1 Like

There are tons of High Elf Magisters tapping Fel Crystals.

The, “Exposure” argument works a little better if you’re a Farstrider or something…

But at the same time, they learned "Mana Drain’ from a Demon Hunter and Romath didn’t let anybody know where it came from.

The tooltip says it’s from the arcane school, but watch her eyes when she drains that mana Wyrm. I wonder if mana tap was really that innocuous, after all, who typically uses drain spells against other creatures?

Apparently in the legends manga it states the Quel’danil elves have sworn off of magic completely.

2 Likes

Yes there is, but those are supposedly the Magisters that had returned with Rommath. Blizzard had retconned it to say that the actual player Blood Elves got their green eyes by being in the vicinity of the fel crystals… which I honestly find to be bogus. I mean if just being in the vicinity of fel magic is enough to change your eye color. Then unless they were light forged everyone on Argus should of had glowing green eyes.

As for the cinematic it was introduced before Blizzard had its change of heart concerning how the Blood Elf got their eye color.

I would also like to address the if Blood Elves tapped to much into the arcane side of the Sunwell they will become wretched. First they would become wretched by over using Mana Tap. According to lore when the Sunwell was restored Blood Elves lost the ability to cast Mana tap. So they actually cannot become wretched through this means anymore.

2 Likes

Plus there is the Ranger legion from the Alliance that literally lives in Outland and doesn’t have that issue.

I know, it makes no sense, Blood Elves has to done more than just hang around Mana Crystals for their eyes to be that green and glowy

I haven’t seen any drain spell in the game that’s not related to shadow magic. So I think it’s possible they were just mislead about the way they were getting that mana.

The Magisters draining from Fel crystals honestly should have become Felblood Elves.