The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

I orally agree those Magisters should of become Felblood.

I would love to race change this character into a Felblood Elf.

One of my mai s I’ve been wanting to turn into a High Elf for years. I personally hope that Blizzard will hurry up and Give the Alliance High Elves. I personally don’t think it would hurt anything. Except perhaps the pride of some rather annoying people.

4 Likes

I think if Metzen was still around, he would probably solved this mess that Sunwell has become, and would’ve explained why High Elves don’t seem to be using it anymore, and which energy is predominant within his core.

I think the High Elves kinda severed their connection with the Sunwell, and the Arcane that’s still around it, is not about the energy but the facility itself. I mean, the Sunwell is an Arcane system, but now it’s fueled by Holy energy.

I was under the impression that Felblood’s became that way due to gorging themselves on particularly potent demonic energy. The boss you fight in the Magister’s Terrace has numerous fel crystals that he goes through like candy.

Alliance getting the short end of the stick since 2010 :joy:

Kinda sucks that this game has being showing faction bias for nearly a decade :expressionless:

5 Likes

I may be able to clarify that.

The blood elves draining demons to feed their addiction was a pre-TBC concept. It was foreshadowed by Illidan advising Kael in the W3: TFT campaign, it was present in the old RPG, and I think even vanilla WoW had something on that.

Come TBC, Blizzard retconned a lot of blood/high elf lore. They tried to tone down the blood elf corruption, so the fel was used only to rebuild and power Silvermoon.

However, the old concept of draining demons stuck in people’s minds, and the in-game quests didn’t explain the new lore well, so there was very little to refute the old lore. People mistake it for canon to this day.

This video was for TBC Collector’s Edition and shows the real canon as it was redone at the time:

I hope this will clarify everything.

4 Likes

Same etiology to become a Felblood Elf as a Fel Orc, more Fel.

A little fel and you become a green orc or a green eyed, ruddy elf. A lot of Fel and you become a Fel orc or a Felblood Elf.

The Illidari obviously being a bit in between a Sin’dorei and a Fel’blood Elf.

4 Likes

Makes sense.

2 Likes

So Blizzard had an interview where they talked about how Void Elves are trying to figure out how to replicate, essentially. The wayfarers in the Rift let you know that there are definitely Elves open to the experience too…

But should they?

They’re kind of a group that is similar to Death Knights, or Demon Hunters. Death Knights bad stuff happened to them and they live in a kind of closed society. Demon Hunters trained and intentionally had bad stuff happen to them. Then again, Demon Hunters have that 1 person limit. Where you can make as many Void Elves as you want.

It doesn’t seem like something you’d want to happen to you.

Until Blizzard can give concrete benefits to being a Void Elf, then no, we shouldn’t see any Blood Elves or High Elves interested in becoming Void Elves.

5 Likes

It makes sense to me. High/Blood Elves are descended from the Highborne, literally magic obsessed elves who were exiled and continued their use and practice of the Arcane, despite it being a corrupting force that caused the downfall of their Night Elven empire.

It’s not at all out of character for elves from either of these groups to be interested in new types of magic.

I would really help to illustrate that not every High Elf is some holier than thou goody two shoes. Not wanting to drain living creatures for mana isn’t mutually exclusive to being interested in new magical powers.

Not every Blood Elf went along with the player faction as we’ve seen. Many were happy to follow Kael and the Legion and become Felblood elves. Many were interested in the powers of the Void. Neither group has a wholly benevolent or wholly evil populace.

I don’t find it strange at all that some High Elves are curious about their kin wielding new powers, especially if Alleria is the one leading and mentoring them for the Alliance.

1 Like

“Hey are you interested in a sweet deal on some insanity?”

4 Likes

To be fair, they’re not. You need look no further than the Purge of Dalaran to see that.

However, the High Elves did make an active choice to avoid unethical and immoral paths when it came to magic. To throw that away isn’t really logical. I’d argue any High Elves interested in the Void today would’ve probably done fine in Quel’Thalas if not for the whole, “Horde,” thing.

Either way, the Void Elf state is one riddled with drawbacks and with no obvious benefits. There’s no logic in becoming a Void Elf, and Umbric doesn’t seem the sort to be interested in welcoming the insane. A significant part of the Void Elf identity is keeping your sanity.

7 Likes

Alleria literally is a High Elf that runs counter to your notion.

It’s not strange, at least not anymore, that other High Elves might want to join her and their Void Elf allies. They’ve already implied, both in-game and out, that this is the case.

Alleria has also spent 1,000 years fighting the Burning Legion in the Twisting Nether. Or 500 years doing that and 500 a prisoner? I don’t recall the exact number of years, but the fact is, her reasons for tapping into the Void are completely contrary to both the Void Elf philosophy (a more scholarly approach with an interest in defense), or the Blood Elf philosophy (power for power’s sake).

Alleria studied the void with the intent to use it against the Burning Legion, since the demons feared it.

10 Likes

…and now she uses it for the Alliance. The motivation has already changed. It doesn’t change the fact other elves are interested and curious about her, and the Void Elves’ powers.

Alleria is kind of a unique case though. She wasn’t aware of her people’s fate and was doing her own thing as far as she was concerned.

I CAN see some High Elves following in her footsteps. She is a legendary hero of the Alliance.

5 Likes

The Night Elves become what they’re, after living around the Well of Eternity, but when Azshara started doing nasty things, making deals with demons, some of those Night Elves avoided to follow her path, splitting their race in two groups, the former Kal’dorei and the newly formed Highborne.

If you think about it from this perspective, we can see that the Quel’dorei, or some of the former High Elves, decided to not follow the path of Kael’thas Sunstrider, staying as Alliance and sating their magic addiction by other means, meanwhile, the Kael’thas followers that embraced some of his ways become the Sin’dorei.

It’s pretty much the same story, but in a new Elven society.

3 Likes

The motivation makes a difference. She uses the Void now because it is hers to use. There’s no reason NOT to use it. She’s made her choices, and she can’t go back.

The question remains, why should any Thalassian that is not a Void Elf already want to become a Void Elf? What are the benefits to doing so? We know the drawbacks, and we even have additional drawbacks hinted at through NPC dialogue.

8 Likes

Power is motivation enough. Warping around at will. Resurrecting and empowering things.

Why do you have this idea in your head that every High Elf, or any race that we’ve seen pursue power (like those in the Twilight’s Hammer) is content being who they are, I think is the better question.

There’s a new path to power in the Alliance made available by Alleria, Ethereals, and Void Elves. The question why would non-Void Elves be interested in this is as silly as why would new Night Elves want to be mages, or why were adapting Azerite into weaponry.

For a Blood Elf, perhaps, but there are still alternatives to the Void as far as power goes. Why become a Void Elf, and deal with maddening whispers for the rest of your considerably lengthy life, when you could study Arcane Magic?

Mage with Teleport spells comes to mind.

Nothing has been resurrected by the Void, only animated, and this is something regular old Arcane Magic can do as well. The only difference between the Arcane Sentinels the Silver Covenant employs, and Umbric’s Void T-Rex, is that the Void T-Rex gets stronger over time, risking getting out of control and spreading massive Void Corruption.

I like to think the average member of a race is rational to the degree their race can be expected to be. So, for a highly intelligent race such as High Elves, who have been known to embrace rules and restrictions for the welfare of themselves and others, to pursue a dangerous power that, honestly, doesn’t provide too much that is new, and only brings in a slew of negatives, doesn’t make sense.

Again, the difference is, the Void is dangerous and becoming a Void Elf is nothing but detriments right now, until Blizzard explains what, if any, benefits comes with being a Void Elf. As is, one could simply be a Priest and wield the Void that way if they really wanted to.

Becoming a Void Elf doesn’t make sense for someone to WANT to do, unless they’ve already lost their minds (Twilight Hammer Cultists), in which case, why would Umbric or the Void Elves ever accept these people who lost their fight with the Whispers before it even began? That’s just inviting the next Twilight Lord to come from the Void Elves.

12 Likes