The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

All Thalassian elves are connected to the Sunwell -sans VE- HE’s haven’t been “cut” from its energies in a way Shal’dorei were from the nightwell. We know some elves are less dependent on its energies, but the connection hasn’t been lost.

I do wonder if even VE’s are truly cut from it and if Alleria affected the Sunwell because she was still connected to it and caused a feedback loop. -it might just be she is still more HE than VE unlike Umbric’s group, but maybe practically they are much alike in such a manner-

Not according to the book, “Blood of the Highborne.”

Maybe, but I don’t think that precludes the Void Elves from evolving as a group and entering a new chapter. I don’t think adding HE’s on their ranks changes them for the worst when such a change opens a lot of possibilities for them as banded thalassian exiles.

I didn’t read it (yet), but according to Wowpedia:

The Farstriders were perhaps the most unaffected by the pangs of magic addiction and withdrawal, and felt a much lesser hunger for the arcane than some of their brethren.

They are not immune to it. But, since they never used so much magic, they didn’t feel its loss as heavily.

Look under notes for the reference to the novel.

Yes, it’s a reference to the novel, which only reinforces that they just suffered less, not that they weren’t dependent at all.

also consider Quel’dorei that are traditionally far from the Sunwell and get their power either from the Light or through the same Arcane Sources humans likely do…

They may not have noticed much at all.

Yes, it was my original point above.

The high elves may still be linked to the Sunwell, but they are far less dependent on it, and already have learned how to live without it.

But they did notice its loss. Vereesa was affected, the Quel’lithien elves felt the pangs of addiction dissipating without knowing the Sunwell was back. They feel it. Just less than your average blood elf.

5 Likes

Sorry. Kind of the usual. Exam coming up so I just peek over when I’m done getting crushed by flash cards. Distracted. Ask me about myocardial infarctions. (Don’t. I mean. Unless you want to know something.)

Why would they want to keep connected to a resource controlled by one of their most hated enemies, though?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s voluntary TBH, they just… are, and I don’t think they have been looking for ways to cut themselves from it, mostly because I don’t think they can either conceive the BE’s using that connection against them, or even if it’s possible.

5 Likes

The Sunwell’s connection to High/Blood Elves is a strange one, for sure. While we know its there, it’s either handwaved, forgotten about, or ignored in certain situations.

Take Alleria and her High Elven forces in Outland/Twisting Nether, for example.

By all accounts, they were cut off from the Sunwell before its destruction, and “should” have felt the withdrawals upon being sealed on the wrong side of the Dark Portal, yet this is never addressed or even mentioned regarding her or her forces.

1 Like

There is a quest for Draenic Vessels I just saw that they used to keep themselves from using demonic powers.

2 Likes

The High Elves finding ways to cut themselves from the Sunwell could be a good story to be featured in the future if the devs have plans for them, or just to be thrown in the Recruitment Scenario and asking the player to help in a ritual or something similar. It’s a good direction to be taken to dissociate them from Quel’thalas, especially in a time were relations between the factions are in a bad state.

4 Likes

Added in Wrath. No wonder I missed it. Interesting they would address it in the following expansion.

I’m still curious how the Sunwell managed to sustain them until after it got destroyed. I doubt the Sunwell was able to deliver them magic to Draenor from Azeroth with the Dark Portal shut.

It’s really weird indeed.

Originally, in lore, at least from what I gather, the Sunwell was just a fount of power. The elves used it to power their own magic and the magical devices in their lands. It was a power flowing throught their very bodies, making them strong, and when it was destroyed, its absence led them to withdrawal and the desperate need to feel that power again.

So, by logic, elves living away from Quel’thalas wouldn’t have the same cravings.

In later stories, it was established this “connection” of the elves to the Sunwell, something that transcends distance and even dimensions. I really didn’t like when they introduced this aspect to the Sunwell, the older lore was a better and simpler story, IMO.

Under the older lore, current high elves wouldn’t give a damn to the Sunwell once they got used to live without it. The blood elves, not training themselves to resist the addiction, would once again feel its power flowing throught their lands and be back to how they were before the Dark Times. I think it needlessly complicates the matter and is very ill-explained.

9 Likes

It’s also strange because they’re from an army of Rangers that joined the Alliance.

Since the Farstriders didn’t have much trouble with the well being gone it’s odd that these rangers would have trouble either.

Then again, maybe that’s how they hold out until you arrive years later.

1 Like

I would love for them to put a proper elven district in Stormwind as a general overhaul. For the main hub for the alliance it’s pretty dated. Especially when you look at how amazing Kul Tiras is.

They could do a lot with NPCs to expand on the inevitable Night Elf / High Elf / Void Elf tensions/dynamics that have to be going on. There has to be a ton of stuff going on that I wish we could see. End of the day Stormwind has been home for a fairly large number of high elves since the second war. I know they get along a lot better with night elves at higher levels now but you are talking about tossing a large number of night elf civilians in with high elf civilians inside a human city.

7 Likes

Though it’s unlikely, I think the cinematic for the Sunwell becoming a Void Well (Eclypse Well?) would be pretty amazing to watch.

The well starts overloading as the Nightborne throw up shields to devend the most populated part of Silvermoon as the Alliance shield mages do the same.

It sends out a wave a Void that turns the sky dark and warps the land and people in it.

Umbric and the Alliance player go out and you defend him as he tries to calm the minds of several, now Void Ridden, former Blood Elves. Sometimes succeeding and the go to recover, sometimes failing as masses of tentacles explode and they attack you.

Lor’themar and the Horde player rush to the Sunwell to survey the damage before turning their forces to reclaim as much of Silvermoon as they can and purge as much of the Void Corruption before it takes hold of the people and city as they can.

That would be cool.

I think this quest is for TBC. WotlK was released in 2008, and there’s comments in that quest from 2007 and 2006.

3 Likes