The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Even in Legion, with the Gilneas Brigade replacing the Silver Covenant in Dalaran for the Alliance, the Warrior trainer is still a High Elf.

1 Like

Hate that’s how it worked out but I think my rationale on class availability is pretty sound. High Elves tap into a history of service to the Alliance stretching back to WC2, and elves in plate were seldom, if ever, part of that fantasy. That’s more of a blood elf thing.

Gnomes in plate are an urban legend, and yet they still have Warrior and Paladins.

Being entitled about something and claiming you deserve it as a paying customer is not at all similar to a suggestion or feedback on a game feature.

When you pay for a sporting event ticket, you get to watch the game. You do not get to tell the team management about the roster or who should be traded.

1 Like

Gnome warriors are likely meant to represent their tinkers.

Gnome paladins? Is that a thing?

Sadly being shallow when it comes to aesthetics is a human trait. Many are brought up with the belief that you must look and be a certain way, to be accepted. These beliefs will carry into the game, and is that shallow? Yes!
One of the reasons I don’t want the Alliance getting High Elves, even though I’ve wanted to play one since Wrath. Is it will destroy the core story of the Blood Elves. Which is They are the High Elves, they left the Alliance. After the third war, they tried to return to the Alliance and were treated like Dirt. So with nowhere else to turn the joined the Horde, through their ties with Silvanas. To give the Alliance High Elves it ruins the whole. The High Elves Left the Alliance and became Blood Elves story.

Gnome Warriors represent Gnome Warriors, no need to make assumptions.

Paladins is my bad, I could swear they were a thing.

Not anymore. They are Blood Elves. Sin’dorei.

The (modern) Quel’dorei say otherwise. They’ve been with the Alliance from the very start of the game, and still are.

Stop pretending they don’t exist.

I base it on the fact that Gelbin Mekkatorque is classed as a warrior yet is also the “High Tinker.” (At least as far as WoWpedia is concerned.)

High Elf warriors aren’t a hard no; obviously there is in-universe lore to support their existence, just as there is lore to support rogues (since the Silver Covenant makes use of both). But my post was predicated on the idea that High Elves forewent a few traditional class options in favor of the more special classes like Druid and shaman. It would also torpedo many of the concerns anti-helfers have about High Elves drawing populations away from other elf races. Leave blood elves as the martial plate-wearing elf class; High Elves can focus on other things.

Not the most reliable source on this info. I don’t think anyone would ever look at Gelbin and call him a Warrior.

There are plenty of High Elf warriors we see in-game and more than a few Paladins, including Arator.

Taking those classes away just because Blood Elves also have them makes no sense. Might as well take Mage away, since that’s as big for the Blood Elves as Paladins (and much more so than Warrior).

II never said they didn’t exist, I said that a big part of the Blood Elf story is, They are High Elves that left the Alliance, and joined the Horde because the Alliance treated them like Dirt. Sorry but High Elves, becoming Blood Elves was a major part of the Blood Elf story. Just because some Stayed with the Alliance and kept the name doesn’t change that.

So if the game is terrible or is lacking something i have no right to complain and suggest how it could be better? Ok, shush the customers.

This is a strawman, i didn’t sayed that i should get whatever i wanted, i just said that being paid customer gives me the right to ask for things in the game or complain about them, after all you can only use the forums if you are subbed. What is ridiculous is for you to ask for something you like and a group of people show up to say that you cannot have it based on speculations and personal interpretations of the lore, and the worst is that those people are dedicating their time in negating it and doing nothing productive in the process.

2 Likes

No, it isn’t sound. You just took a hacksaw to the class list in the name of “muh blood elf fee fees.” Whenever you have to say something is lore friendly but will be excluded for thematic reasons that’s what you’re doing. And I’ve had enough of it. I do not exist to validate the trepidations of parsimonious Horde players. I think it’s bad enough how stingy Blizzard is with Paladins, to cut them from a race that is supposed to have them because their edgy brethren have a black repaint version is too much.
They don’t need to have their own order. That’s a Horde thing. Where’s the dwarf Paladin order?

1 Like

/shrug

Just an idea, I’m not married to it. The prevailing complaint amongst anti-helfers is that high elves and blood elves are the exact same race, and adding high elves to the opposite faction will drain population from Horde.

Ok, fair enough. Having different class lists is one great way to differentiate the races. But if we went strictly by the NPCs in-game with no variation then the High Elf class list would be identical to that of the blood elves’ sans access to warlock.

I do think that would be a bit of problem. Available classes play a huge part in determining whether to roll a race or not. All the core classes that date back to the RTS games (hunter, mage, priest) are all intact, and these are the ones that are truly iconic for high elves. Blood elves developed their society along a different path and became far more martial in a way high elves didn’t, hence why the Blood Knights are a thing.

2 Likes

But the way you phrase it is as if High Elves no longer exist. “High Elves became Blood Elves”. That’s untrue.

The majority of High Elves died. Then the majority of survivors changed their name to Blood Elves. But High Elves never went extinct, they never stopped being a thing.

It isnt merely “some stayed”. 10% of the survivor population is a big chunk. And they are very active members of the Alliance, playing big roles in Wrath, Mists and Legion.

7 Likes

I don’t get that, in Cata Blizzard made clear that they intended allow have all races in the game to have Warrios and Hunters with no excepion. If a individual from a race can wield a sword, it can be a Warrior, if a individual from a race can wield a bow, it can be a Hunter.
If every race in the game can be Warriors i would find weird for the High Elves to not, and every race released from now on will have them regardless if they have a culture arround warriors or not.

3 Likes

that 10% isn’t even relevant anymore. That 10% canonically died back in cata. It doesn’t negate that the populations of high elves outside of the kingdom were not taken into account. That is how we still have tens of thousands of high elves.

2 Likes

I guess I’m not on the same page you are. Either high elves are culturally and aesthetically distinct from blood elves or they aren’t. Class lists are how these cultural distinctions are emulated in-game, and it’s precisely where much of the flavor from, say, Kul Tiran humans is derived from.

As I said, if we go strictly by the NPCs that exist in-game right now, the high elf class list would be exactly the same as the blood elf class list, minus warlock (and I suppose the hero classes as well). I’ve seen the kind of art you guys produce for theoretical high elf models, and the impression I got was that the general conceptualization of high elves was one that was truer to the WC2-3 “wood elf” aesthetic rather than the aristocratic, militant look that blood elves have.

I think this is what Ion’s talking about when he says things like the High Elf community can’t really agree on what a high elf is. If the answer to that question is just “blood elves on Alliance” then no, that shouldn’t be implemented.

1 Like

High Elves and Blood Elves are culturally distinct.

But that doesn’t stop them from having Warriors and Paladins.

And High Elf Paladins are not Blood Knights. Even if the class is the same, the fantasy is different.

8 Likes

I hold my opinion that i wouldn’t sacrifice Warriors, Rogues and Paladins, which are cannon to High Elves, for Shamans and Druids, which aren’t cannon to High Elves, but new lore could be made. I think that no one want to have more Allied Races with less than 7 classes in their pool.