The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Well, asking for something in the game is feedback and a suggestion. It’s you that are bothered by it, so you try to find something wrong about it. Guess what: there isn’t.

Wow, completely senseless comparison. I’m not paying to watch someone play the game, I pay to play the game. Just like a watcher can ask for better seats or better snacks, I can ask for things that would make me enjoy the game more.

And I want high elves. Pretty clear and simple.

If you don’t agree… well, that’s your problem. Feel free to be bothered as much as you want.

6 Likes

Fair enough, and in all likelihood High Elves (if ever actually added) will probably launch with the warrior class anyway. It’s just a personal preference of mine that they don’t, first of all because I find it boring that there exist classes that every race can play and second of all because I like the idea of the high elves being survivalists that resort to other methods of attack beyond rushing foes with swords and plate mail. They’re a dying race now; they have to be careful. There has to be a certain finesse to their attack patterns. They’re the OG Warcraft elves, after all.

6 Likes

What i meant when i listed Cata, is that before Cata some races didn’t have Hunters or Warriors, like Humans and Undead didn’t had Hunters and Gnomes and Blood Elves didn’t had Warrios, but they changed that in the release.

yeah that’s fine, I’m just elucidating on some personal preferences as to what I’d like to see in a high elf race. You’re entitled to your own as well, of course. I too believe that allied races shouldn’t have access to too many classes, which is why I made the cuts for warrior, rogue and paladin in favor of Druid and Shaman, which I feel would go a long way in terms of forging a new identity for the high elf people and finally getting them out from under the shadow of blood elves.

And as I alluded to before, I’m perfectly fine with cutting all three classes because high elves never used them in their RTS origins.

I mean i agree with you, like Warriors shouldn’t be just a generic swordsmen and Hunters shouldn’t be just generic archers, there was a fantasy related to those classes and they were allowed only in races related to them, but because they allowed all races can be those since Cataclysm, i have to hold the ground here.

Why? I feel like race fantasy is a more important checklist to adhere to rather than obligation because “every other race has access to this class.” It makes the class feel generic, and by definition it doesn’t add anything at all to the race’s overall fantasy. Shaman and Druid change the aesthetic of high elves; warriors just make them more similar to an already-existing race of elf that many complain are already too similar.

Void Elves, which were entirely comprised of Umbric’s little cabal of mages, warlocks and priests, can be Warriors and Hunters and Monks.

Having Warriors doesn’t make High Elves “more similar” to Blood Elves, because High Elves already have Warriors and Paladins. You’d be taking something away from them, that they already have.

You’d need some big lore explanation as to why High Elves no longer have any Warriors and Paladins among them and you’d have to do away with the hundreds and hundreds of High Elf Warrior/Paladin NPCs that already exist.

6 Likes

But warriors aren’t exacly iconic to the Blood Elves, like they only got them in Cataclysm when Blizzard generalized the class. And i agree with you, but Blizzard is giving every single Allied Race a large class pool because this is their philosophy now, after people complained about the lacking class pool of the Legion AR’s.
People are still mad that Zandalari cannot be Warlocks and Kul’Tirans cannot be Paladins even tough those races have quite large class pools already.

1 Like

That’s entirely the problem most people have with adding high elves in the first place.

But let’s look at the discussion from a different angle. Let’s say High Elves released with the exact same class list that blood elves did. Do you feel that, in this scenario, there would exist enough room for differentiation so that high elves could still be added in this state without stepping on the toes of blood elves?

That’s what i’m thinking as well; much like the kaldorei lodges, wood with some stone pillars. Overall I think the Aszunan architecture is very much on the Higborne end of the spectrum of Kaldorei aesthetics, and thus could work very well as a basis for a branching High Elven architecture.

2 Likes

What do you mean by, “Stepping on their toes?”

That’s the major issue here. High Elves don’t effect Sin’dorei at all.

If they add playable High Elves and you log onto your Sin’dorei, everything is the exact same.

That’d be easier than you think. NPC classes don’t necessarily dictate playable classes. Zandalari warlocks exist in lore but ar not playable in game. Night elf paladins exist in lore but do not exist in game. Worgen shaman exist in lore but do not exist in game.

The playable high elf faction will likely not be the Silver Covenant anyway, since the Silver Covenant is affiliated with Dalaran and Dalaran is taking a neutral stance these days, which is why playable human mages aren’t from the Kirin Tor. So, all you have to do is keep the high elf paladins, warriors, and rogues confined to the NPC factions such as the Silver Covenant, and have the playable high elf faction focus on the natural/primal elements of high elf “woodsy” culture.

Pretty sure Void Elves were meant to be the middle ground…

I hate to say it, but I do think there is some validity to the argument that faction exclusivity plays a large role in racial fantasy. If they added Night Elf Worgen to the Horde, and they shared the model I use but maybe with some slightly different fur tints, and they had the same class list, I’d feel pretty rotten because overnight my race effectively became neutral. Nobody wants to feel that way, and blood elves certainly shouldn’t as they’ve been playable since WoW’s first ever expansion.

You might disagree with this rationale, but I have little doubt that this is one of the largest reasons why High Elf demands have gone unheeded for over a literal decade.

dalaran isn’t neutral and the silver covenant definitely isn’t. Dalaran is part of the alliance. The alliance member nations just have more freedom due to the way it is set up. They are all independent nations or governments.

Dalaran does help out in the war just usually not as frontline soldiers. They maintain supply lines and help with the movement of troops and civilians.

Their “neutrality” is just allowing horde citizens within the city. They are also allowed a small guard detail but horde soldiers are typically not permitted and the horde can not use it during times of war between the factions. We can see that in MoP. The alliance had been moving supplies and soldiers through dalaran the whole time but when the horde did it to steal the divine bell the horde were expelled from the city.

3 Likes

They re-admitted Horde mages (mainly blood elves) to the Kirin Tor as of Legion and allow the Horde to maintain a large military presence. Lorewise, yes, they really should be favorable to the Alliance only, but that’s not how they’ve been written in expansions like Wrath and Legion, and now in BFA they’re absolutely nowhere to be seen. Not even Khadgar feels the need to stop Sylvanas.

I disagree with the writing here, like, a lot, but evidently it is the writers’ intention to transition Dalaran as a political unit into a neutral role.

1 Like

The most basic class pool suggested was: Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Rogue, Monk, Mage, Priest. Those are cannon. No Warlock, Death Knight and Demon Hunter. Suggestions with lore explanations were given to Shaman and Druid.

The class pool is not going to be the same for sure, but i’m also moving into another point: Different races have their own versions of the classes but have to play with the same style for gameplay reasons. Example is how a Night Elf Priest is in lore a Priestess of Elune, using powers from the goddess, so no Light or Shadow powers involved, while a Human Priest draw powers direcly from the Light. Both are listed as Priests in-game. If we are going to bring this into the the topic: High Elven mages are not the same than Blood Elven mages, Sin’dorei mages are masters of Fire while Quel’dorei are masters of Frost, Sin’dorei Paladins are Blood Knights and draw power from the Sunwell, while Quel’dorei Paladins are knights of the Silver hand and draw power through their faith. And if we are going to use Warrior as an example, Sin’dorei Warriors are Spellbreakers while Quel’dorei Warriors are Spellblades. Even tough they play the same class in game, in lore (which bases the class pool) they are different, so they aren’t stepping in the toes of the Blood Elves by having mutual classes.

6 Likes

Wait why not death knight? Arthas killed like 90% of the high elves, why wouldn’t any of those be death knighted?

See, that’s what I’m talking about. Do you really think, that saying this will stop people who have been here in these threads for over a year, building a community, making concepts trying to find a middleground, will stop because of Void Elves? Really?

These threads began right after Void Elves was given to players, and didn’t stop since then.

You guys complain that our thread is a tantrum, but we’re constantly brainstorming trying to not hurt the Blood Elves lore or aesthetics, meanwhile you guys are against everything, no matter what kind of solution we bring to you. Now tell me, which thread is a tantrum now?

9 Likes

Because they choose Quel’thalas and the Horde over the Alliance. And gameplay limitations prevent Allied Races from being allowed to roll heroic classes.

1 Like