The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

I mean… not really? The High Elves that would be playable were not in Quel’Thalas at any point that would lead them to making a choice like that. They’d made their choice independent of the Blood Elves.

7 Likes

They could have come back after the sunwell waa fixed and kael’thas discarded…

And yet they didn’t.

8 Likes

But at that time they’d still already made the choice to be High Elves. We don’t have any examples of High Elves becoming Blood Elves, and certainly none of Blood Elves becoming High Elves after the Exile.

9 Likes

This is incredible, well constructed logic. I used to think that the Shal’dorei were kinda of different than the Night Elves but you make me realize that they are mostly arcwine transformed fruit empowered Night Elves.
They are just one more example of a race modified by a cosmic force. If Nightborne being Night Elves transformed by Arcane qualified as a Horde Allied Race without having ties to the faction beforehand, i cannot see how the High Elves which aren’t mutated by Fel or Light and already have ties to the Alliance couldn’t.

11 Likes

I hope Lor’themar cuts off the sunwell to high elves too.

6 Likes

I hope too, the Sunwell is a Blood Elf thing, it’s part of their culture and society.

4 Likes

Please. A name change doesn’t make it a different race. When I created this character, it was a high elf in the horde…

Oh my god are you for real? The sunwell was high elf property all the way until the “name change”. And it still is as Lorthemar said. You’re helping your case.

nods

Keep in mind that Night Elves are immortal.

There is this genetic argument for Nightborne - “It’s been 10,000 years!”

Some of those Nightborne have lived for 10,000 years.

Elisande lived concurrently with Malfurion and Tyrande. She isn’t subject to “Evolution” She’s the same Elf.

8 Likes

I think people get caught up a bit too much on the idea of races being the entire encompassing focus of an actual species.

A year or two back a CM answered a question about why someone couldn’t play as a Human Shaman, when they’d seen Human Shamans in the Twilight Cult. The answer was that playable races aren’t entire races, but specific factions within a race. The reason you can’t play a Human Shaman was because Stormwind, the playable faction of Humans, did not have Shamans. Not unlike how Gilnean Humans have Druids, while Stormwind Humans don’t.

Therefor faction is as much a relevant criteria of a race being playable as anything else, and you yourself can agree the High Elves are not from the Silvermoon Faction of Thalassian Elves.

13 Likes

Looks at Lightforged Draenei

4 Likes

Notice how they didn’t jump faction?

Here’s the deal:

There’s no evolution in World of Warcraft.

But people insist that there is to suit their arguments.

3 Likes

People lean really hard on “Race” being an important distinction because it’s in “Allied Races”.

But it’s called “Allied Races” because when you’re making a character you select a “Race”

It’s a misnomer.

You’re selecting a faction.

With Pandaren you’re selecting a faction.
With Human or Kul’tiran you’re selecting a faction.
With Draenei or Lightforged Draenei you’re selecting a faction.

With Illidari (Demon Hunters) you’re selecting a faction.

2 Likes

But High Elves are already on the Alliance…

So how are they “jumping factions”?

13 Likes

What makes you think that means they couldn’t have?

2 Likes

Not playable and never designed to be. And tbh they aren’t helping all that much…

Dark iron were “never designed to be playable” and yet times have changed.

High Elves have helped the Alliance more across wow’s lifetime than any other allied race and probably some base races too.

11 Likes

Cmon man. Dark iron DWARVES. Dwarves are already playable in the alliance… poor argument again.

So what? We are not asking for void elves, we are asking for high elves. Void elves are not high elves. Obvious thing is obvious.

9 Likes