The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Oh they could I’m sure of it. But that’s a lot of animation work to essentially put a copy of a race on the opposite faction…

I wouldn’t really say a copy of a race. High Elves have been in the Alliance since Vanilla, prior to Blood Elves being added to the Horde. Their addition is making a race on a faction, playable to that faction.

That said, I also agree that unnecessarily adding to the workload of the developers doesn’t seem all that productive. I’d rather see High Elves have the Druid class and that extra work being put towards their forms, as opposed to making them have a different idle stance.

Different customization options should be included, of course, but the model is fine as is. At best I wouldn’t mind seeing ear length/shape changes so that Half-Elves could be included in this, similarly to how the Mag’har incorporate multiple Orc Clans.

8 Likes

Like they did with nightborne?

9 Likes

Well they did it with void elves as well. Which is essentially a blueberry high elf with tentacles.

There’s this weird thing people do with fantasy universes, where non-human races lack diversity in appearance options because ‘that’s what the race looks like’.

Which, whatever, if a view of a fantasy race is so narrow, then sure.

But then there’s a double-standard when it comes to humans, who are allowed to be massively diverse for no other reason than…they’re humans who live in different places.

In essence, there’s sort of an unspoken rule that non-human fantasy races all fit a very narrow set of appearance parameters. It’s a weird mentality that sort of has whiff of the kind of ‘well they all look alike’ attitudes ones grandparents might have. You know what I’m talking about.

Not, in no way am I accusing anyone of the R word in this discussion, by any means, I’m just saying that there are some pre-concieved notions about how narrow the set of appearance options available to a fictional, fantasy race should be that aren’t consistant with how humans are treated.

As an example, Stormwind Humans and Kul Tiran humans are biologically the same, but due to a mix of lifestyle, location, diet, culture etc. they look quite different from one another.

On the other hand, you have High Elves and Blood Elves, who have to look the same because they haven’t had 10,000 years to be changed by magic like Nightborne were.

Do you see what I’m getting at here?

8 Likes

It’s either ignorance or bias involved in saying that High Elves are copy of Blood Elves. The High Elves came first and are part of the Alliance for longer than the Blood Elves are part of the Horde.

8 Likes

Fixed.
10char

5 Likes

I think this is really funny.

So I got into a debate on the other topic awhile back where the others posters got super upset and started to call me a troll… It was like that time when that blue/white dress picture hit the internet and people were just angry…

It was about Nightborne…

and so they’ve got this argument that Nightborne look different enough to be their own race.

And I disagree. I think Nightborne just look like different versions of Night Elves.

So they’re making this argument that they can tell the difference between a Nightborne model and a Night Elf argument

and I can tell the difference between the models too. But that doesn’t mean I think that Nightborne look like a different race.

They don’t.

and so this argument is interesting because it’s the reverse of that:

That you can’t tell the difference between a High Elf and a Blood Elf.

and you can.

But I think its funny that the same people can hold these two conflicting opinions:

A nightborne is a different race entirely from Night Elves because their ears are upside down, they have tattoos and their dudes haven’t hit the gym.

and then follow it up with, “I’m unable to perceive the difference between a High Elf and a Blood Elf.”

Guys… make up your minds. Either practically intangible differences make things completely different races or they don’t. Quit holding two mutually exclusive opinions.

Either a Draenei with different horns from another Draenei is a completely separate race, (and you eagle eyed pro-high-elf advocates should be able to tell the difference) or they don’t.

Either Jaina’s a completely separate species from Kul’tirans and Humans or she isn’t.

Make up your minds.

9 Likes

Please stop using the nightborne/night elf as an argument. You have the void elf.

1 Like

You’re gonna have to explain the logic in that statement.

10 Likes

I want to use the Void Elves: They are very slightly different than Blood Elves, they are both from Quel’thalas, they have the same culture, values, ideals and morals, with the only difference being the Skin and hair color.

3 Likes

10-15 years of different solutions to counter sunwell withdrawal and political changes don’t suddenly change a race. If you are democrat, it doesn’t suddenly make you not american…

Nightborne - After 10,000 years of exposure to magic got flipped ears and magic tattoos. No evidence flipped ears were caused by the nightwell. could be congenital. Not all Nightborne have tattoos but the fact that they’re on children leads to the presumption it’s natural. But you can not have them so it’s not ubiquitous.

Ren’dorei: Turned a different skin shade and hair color in an afternoon. The more corrupted they are the more likely they are to have tentacles.

Sin’dorei: Made a pact with demons. Got glowing green eyes and reddish skin hues.

Current argument: Sin’dorei are not different from Quel’dorei.

Logical Conclusion from that statement: Ren’dorei are no different from Sin’dorei. Shal’dorei are no different from Kal’dorei.

9 Likes

American Civil War. - Confederates suddenly a different nationality.
American Revolution. - American’s no longer British.

5 Likes

But that’s just it. It’s just political affiliation. You’re still human…

Yeah. And?

Pandaren have an ideological divide. They’re on both sides.

What are you trying to argue here?

4 Likes

The pandaren were DESIGNED to start neutral and then choose. Not the high elf.

Edit and didn’t blizzard then pin them as a flaw they’d never repeat?

And they don’t need to start neutral either. It’s not as if my Void Elf levels through Eversong Woods and is then told to make a choice between following Umbric or Lor’themar.

12 Likes

And? That doesn’t matter at all.

How do you explain Ren’dorei? They’re exiles from Silvermoon. They’re still Blood Elves.

No. This is a misinformation that’s been spread. We’ve observed the original statement.

Thanks, Drede we need to remember to add that inconclusive twitter statement to the wiki.

4 Likes

No, the choice was made for you. Your faction would have followed either kael’thas or vereesa…