The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

10/09/2018 06:29 AMPosted by Lorithyn
You do bring up good points... There's a fine line between, "Their model is better than ours" and "Our model isn't good enough." I'm hoping that a compromise like this would be objective, and would carry person to person as to which one they'd prefer

And while these may be based on Night Elf models, I take comfort in knowing that it wouldn't mean they're stuck with the horrible Night Elf animations (looking at you, forehead casting). Its possible to have a body rig run the animations of other races

I just think that, at this point, it's clear Blizzard isn't against reusing models for Allied Races even when the model didn't originate as a playable race on that faction (Nightborne and then Zandalari using the Night Elf model). This being the case, it'd be safer, and less work intensive, to just use the Thalassian Model. The resources that might've gone to an alternate model could then be spent on further customization like tattoos to set the High Elves apart further.

Or even implementing red versions of tattoos as new options for Blood Elves. Void Elves were added and Blood Elves got Golden Eyes. They're the first Horde race to get their Heritage Armor. Feels like Blizzard tries to appease them whenever the Alliance gets something related to them.
1 Like
10/09/2018 06:04 AMPosted by Harlequin
10/09/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Safana
Also I would really love to see ideas for heritage armor if anyone has any fan made stuff laying around!

It's pretty much what Blizzard will reveal for ours during the 8.1 heritage scenario. Void elves got theirs and are what the Alliance are getting in terms of high elves and the Horde already has the main contingent. We even have the scenario showcasing it.

Seems quite unlikely that they'll go, man let's show that heritage twice....oh wait they went Horde and the Alliance already has the version we made for them so they wouldn't have a carbon copy race. It's almost as if... that was the point?

High elves wouldn't be going full spell breaker which imo is super iconic for the blood elves.

10/09/2018 05:08 AMPosted by Xyaa
10/09/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Safana
Also I would really love to see ideas for heritage armor if anyone has any fan made stuff laying around!

On our Tumblr page you can find out some concepts - including heritage armour. Such as: https://legacyofqt.tumblr.com/post/174256227289/heritage-armor-art-concept-ranger-general-armor

https://legacyofqt.tumblr.com/post/172028746239/high-elf-heritage-armor-version-31-by-jokubas

And

https://legacyofqt.tumblr.com/post/172079924444/ramavatarama-with-this-beautiful-alleria

Note, there are others though xD.

Hope you like them!

God those are awesome! Distinctly high elf/quel'dorei feel and not Sin'dorei elf with red everything. ^^
1 Like
YOU'RE NEVER GETTING HIGH ELVES.

STAHP
10/09/2018 06:35 AMPosted by Balaerion
YOU'RE NEVER GETTING HIGH ELVES.

STAHP

Please look to the MVP post and keep things civil :)
1 Like
10/09/2018 06:32 AMPosted by Alurna
10/09/2018 06:29 AMPosted by Lorithyn
You do bring up good points... There's a fine line between, "Their model is better than ours" and "Our model isn't good enough." I'm hoping that a compromise like this would be objective, and would carry person to person as to which one they'd prefer

And while these may be based on Night Elf models, I take comfort in knowing that it wouldn't mean they're stuck with the horrible Night Elf animations (looking at you, forehead casting). Its possible to have a body rig run the animations of other races

I just think that, at this point, it's clear Blizzard isn't against reusing models for Allied Races even when the model didn't originate as a playable race on that faction (Nightborne and then Zandalari using the Night Elf model). This being the case, it'd be safer, and less work intensive, to just use the Thalassian Model. The resources that might've gone to an alternate model could then be spent on further customization like tattoos to set the High Elves apart further.

Or even implementing red versions of tattoos as new options for Blood Elves. Void Elves were added and Blood Elves got Golden Eyes. They're the first Horde race to get their Heritage Armor. Feels like Blizzard tries to appease them whenever the Alliance gets something related to them.

The thalassian model would definitely be easier to work with, I just hope they get the Nightborne treatment to make them different. I love the thalassian model, but if we need a compromise then that's the best thing to do
Are we seriously arguing Alliance don't have the "Thalassian model"? WTF IS VOID ELVES?!
10/09/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Vivette
Are we seriously arguing Alliance don't have the "Thalassian model"? WTF IS VOID ELVES?!

This isn't about the player model. This is about whether or not the Quel'dorei High Elves, a race of thalassian elves allied to the Alliance, should be a new allied race
It will never happen because you have void elf’s. end of discussion.
10/09/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Lorithyn
Now that we're back on topic, I'd like everyone, pro and against, to look at the following models and discuss whether they or something similar would be an acceptable compromise for High Elves;

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/329725237438578688/497559136259801088/HighElfMockup.jpg

I've been posting these everywhere, I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. If given a different model with new customization options, as well as having different class access to Blood Elves, this is imo one of the better compromises

That fan mockup is beautiful.
1 Like
10/09/2018 07:20 AMPosted by Dewfury

The High Elf craze only kicked into high gear after allied races were announced, despite Void Elves existing. The discussion is far from over
1 Like
10/09/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Lorithyn
10/09/2018 07:20 AMPosted by Dewfury

The High Elf craze only kicked into high gear after allied races were announced, despite Void Elves existing. The discussion is far from over

Exactly.

It actually makes the entire Allied Race component of this expansion a bit of a joke to me.

We gain the trust of other races, recruit them into our faction war, and get to play them.

Alliance have been allied with the High Elves for how long now?
1 Like

Especially since allied races haven't been shown to produce another allied race so that if there were another elf offshoot it'd come from blood elves and considering only two of the races were swapped (void elf and nightborne) it's not likely that a second allied race based off the blood elves would be anything but Horde. No evidence they'll double up any time soon and there's still races that don't have a corresponding allied race.

Void elves were it because the Horde have the main bulk of playable high elves.
10/09/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Aedrid
10/09/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Lorithyn

Exactly.

It actually makes the entire Allied Race component of this expansion a bit of a joke to me.

We gain the trust of other races, recruit them into our faction war, and get to play them.

Well they could go in a way to convince the silver covenant to fully commit its resources and troops into this war. If the Horde win this thing then the silver covenant is in danger too. Right now they are hanging out in Dalaran, but even that’s not safe, at some point Vareesa will see this.
10/09/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Tyrandia
10/09/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Aedrid

Exactly.

Well they could go in a way to convince the silver covenant to fully commit its resources and troops into this war. If the Horde win this thing then the silver covenant is in danger too. Right now they are hanging out in Dalaran, but even that’s not safe, at some point Vareesa will see this.

Yeah, honestly the recruitment scenario is the thing that intrigues me the most. Like I know due to writing constraints they would just omit most of the weirder parts of officially askign the High Elves to join the Alliance, but I just can't help imagine Vereesa Windrunner or Auric Sunchaser just standing there awkwardly while Anduin fumbles his way through a speech about how despite being a part of the Alliance for many years, he'd like to extend a formal invitation for them to join the Alliance. >.>
10/09/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Nindraine
I just can't help imagine Vereesa Windrunner or Auric Sunchaser just standing there awkwardly while Anduin fumbles his way through a speech about how despite being a part of the Alliance for many years, he'd like to extend a formal invitation for them to join the Alliance. >.>

That's exactly how the Dark Iron recruitment quest goes, though.
10/09/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Kelnethi
10/09/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Nindraine
I just can't help imagine Vereesa Windrunner or Auric Sunchaser just standing there awkwardly while Anduin fumbles his way through a speech about how despite being a part of the Alliance for many years, he'd like to extend a formal invitation for them to join the Alliance. >.>

That's exactly how the Dark Iron recruitment quest goes, though.

To add to this, I'd have to imagine it'd be a scenario in which they try to rally all of the remaining High Elves under one unified force, since they're known to be pretty spread out
10/09/2018 12:46 AMPosted by Byucknah

Thread reported for spam.

The other thing I have noticed is a mass are comments like this one. This is not an opinion, this provides no discussion, its blatant low effort trolling and spam with the sole purpose of creating drama. If you guys don't like High Elves then that's one thing, just because Ion made a statement on High Elves does not mean that any further discussion is now spam. If that were the case then we would be seeing a whole lot less 'Flying', 'Pathfinder', 'Azerite Gear', ect type threads.

You have every right to disagree and say why you disagree, this is a Discussion thread on High Elves, it does not need to be an echo chamber of support or lack there of. If you dislike High Elves then you have every right to say so, but please keep it constructive and civilized.

I’m going to have to disagree with you. Repeatedly asking for an allied race the devs have already said no to on two separate occasions is the very definition of spam and should be treated as such. These threads have been clogging up the forums for months, and it’s getting to be ridiculous. I feel the same way about all the Pathfinder and Azerite threads.
Back to the subject of racials, which I think hasn't been expanded upon thoroughly enough yet.

I liked some of the ideas. The frost damage is a little weird. Maybe arcane?

I like the keen eyes idea and the all resistance thing. Maybe instead of the food thing maybe give them a slight speed increase. Like they are pathfinders or wayfinders.
10/09/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Lorithyn

This isn't about the player model. This is about whether or not the Quel'dorei High Elves, a race of thalassian elves allied to the Alliance, should be a new allied race

Void Elves were the compromise.
10/09/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Shadows
10/09/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Lorithyn

Void Elves were the compromise.

There shouldn't have been a compromise. That's the issue.