The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Understandable, didn’t exactly mean you 100% directly its just that alot of people do it towards High Elves.

Please show me lore sources that state this. I’m not asking for verification that they exist, we know they exist. I’d like something that tells me that they’re not small in number.

We have actual lore stating that they are near extinct, and we have developer commentary stating that the reason they aren’t playable is because of that.

In your opinion it shouldn’t hold bearing, but it does.

1 Like

Lore proves they are viable as an Allied Race. You are just cherry picking.

There are a few hundred Draenei. That comes from rise of the Horde. They are almost extinct. Blood Elves are slightly less almost extinct.

They disprove population concerns. They disprove similar appearance concerns. They disprove culture concerns.

Time to remove Blood Elves? They where reduced to 9% then lost some to Kael’Thas then lost a bunch to becoming Wretched then lost more to Void Elves after all that.

Darkspear where almost wiped out by murlocs.

Gnomes lost 80% of their population.

Goblins come from one boat.

Lightforged got decimated in legion and they only had one ship.

Draenei are a few hundred.

A bum rush to a portal became player Mag’har.

The Students of one School on the back of a turtle became the player Pandaren for both factions.

And elite crack squad become a player race.

The entire population idea has been debunked by Blizzards own actions.

The story for High Elves doesn’t have to be changed at all. They are already viable.

9 Likes

I’m not cherry-picking in the least bit. I do not think that because they’ve retconned lore in the past that it should be done again.

They aren’t a population concern because Blizzard added them. I speculate that they’ll eventually add additional story like they have before about new void elves coming into the game, the same way they did with Death Knights. The point is that void elves have not been explicitly stated to be of a dwindling number, and there are already strong implications that elves can learn it.

Again, I understand that you think it’s unimportant but Blizzard seems to think it is. I agree with them.

I have to agree on this. I really want wardens. I concede we will likely never have them as a class but blizzard should make their armor obtainable for night elves.

2 Likes

If they know what’s good for them they’ll make Warden gear nelf heritage armor. Or the featherkini.

1 Like

Why would retconning be needed at all? We see Alliance High Elves all the time. We see them walking the streets of Stormwind, we see them in the Hinterlands, we see them in Northrend, we see them in Outland, we see them in the Broken Shore, we see them in Kultiras. It’s just a matter of a story bringing them in to be playable.

It could be as simple a story as Vereessa bringing the Silver Covenant into the faction conflict at the behest of her sister, possibly even recruiting more numbers from Quel’Danil and Allerian Stronghold. No lore gymnastics are necessary. These are groups that already exist and are hostile to the Horde and friendly to the Alliance.

1 Like

I apologize for copy-pasting a previous comment but this point comes up so often I’m just down to doing that.

In some books, there are even accounts of creatures being surprised to see high elves because they’re so rare.

the demand

Lol

… you keep coming back to population…

If 12(?) void elves can make an allied race, then population numbers are irrelevant.

6 Likes

You brought up population though. Your argument was “we see them walking around”.

What else did you mean by that?

1 Like

Nothing has to be retconned. You just don’t want to believe there’s enough despite even smaller populations being made playable.

They have gone toe to toe with the Blood Elves and the Thunder King. There are more than enough.

Then by that logic if they added High Elves it would not be a concern.

Cherry picking.

This is just headcanon. There’s nothing indicating that the one time accident can be reproduced or if anyone would want too.

Neither have High Elves. They are just small compared to what they once where.

Void Elves are an explicitly stated Elite Crack Squad. They are one of, if not the, smallest player race.

You can’t learn to be a Void Elf.

If they felt it was important then we would not have Void Elves.

4 Likes

It’s in the game!

Go to Zul’Aman’s entrance and watch the little event with Vereesa, Vol’jin and Halduron!

1 Like

What I meant by that is, that is that they exist. They are there. There are factions of them allied with the Alliance already. How big their population is doesn’t matter. They can be an allied race without any sort of retconning or lore gymnastics necessary.

I guarantee you that there are more Alliance High Elves than there are Void Elves. So if Void Elves can be an allied race (especially with their flimsy story telling), then Alliance High Elves can be as well, and don’t require literally pulling a story out of someone’s… “void”.

4 Likes

I don’t believe there are enough because Blizzard has said that there aren’t enough.

I think you aren’t connecting the dots of what I’m saying. Blizzard is God of this land. Almighty, all-knowing, all creating. If they say that High Elves are too few to be playable, they are too few to be playable. If they make a race playable that seems as though it has a small population, and then place strong implications of that race having the ability to expand, do you see where I’m going?

If they were to add High Elves, they’d be retconning their original lore. They’ve done it before, yes, but I don’t think that it’s ever been a good idea to do that. I don’t think it is in this instance either.

I said “I speculate.” It isn’t headcanon, it’s speculation based on what I’ve already seen and read.

Yes, they have been described as near extinct and are mostly gone. From several sources. For many years.

That is yet to be seen.

They felt it was important, for High Elves.

I’ve watched it and I’ve not seen anything that says that they’re of a vast number (or even a large number). Do you have a point of reference I can skip to so I can check it out?

whats it matter, like you said, it doesnt matter what we read or see, it only matters if we can get the devs to allow it. hehe

1 Like

I mean I’m truly not trying to tell anyone that they’re wrong for liking High Elves, it’s just…yeah, that’s essentially the argument. Hoping that Blizzard goes back on things they’ve already said in order to add them. It’s been done before, they could do it, but it’s weird when people try to argue against someone pointing out the reason Blizzard gave us and have written in stories for the past decade.

What they show is more important than what they say.

4 Likes

I disagree. Limitations on physical representation in game is a weird thing. We have such small numbers to work with, there are only a handful of guards in Stormwind and if we went by NPC count, there would be crazy imbalances with population count. It fluctuates. Sometimes one NPC represents one literal person, other times one NPC is supposed to represent several (guards in Stormwind).

It’s not a literal number, and High Elves do exist, so of course they show up in game.