The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

I need a picture of a void elf warrior wearing a full plate outfit standing next to a blood elf warrior. STAT

SCREW THAT

@TALENDRION, STAND IN FRONT OF THIS DRAENEI, QUICK !

But seriously. Faction identity is something that I also used to share as a concern, and back when Ghostcrawler worked for Blizzard and said that pandaren were a mistake, I honestly never thought high elves would work. But now it’s clear Blizzard is far more lenient if they’re fine with the playerbase sharing models.

If you’re concerned about it blurring faction lines from a lore standpoint, the Alliance is literally working with blood elves now. At least the Quel’dorei never switched on them, meaning they’re not blurring anything.

If you are getting so upset over the current conversation to the point that you are constantly throwing around passive aggressive remarks masked behind smileys and emojis, you should probably take a break from participating in this discussion. I say this because I’ve noticed that these passive aggressive remarks are not normal from my history of talking with you, so I would suggest taking a break from the subject until tensions have cooled off a bit, maybe.

14 Likes

Is this particularly true though? Bilgewater Cartel is sizable I’d say rivaling Steamwheedle. Not to mention Ratchet/Gazlowe of Steamwheedle is Horde-biased. Venture Co is pretty much generally hostile to most folks.

tbh I’m looking forward to Redeened Undead the most at this point.

I hope Blizzard develops them as the kind, misunderstood undead while finally confirming the Forsaken are just an insane cult.

Unless Blizzard has changed the lore, it’s true. Bilgewater is one of the largest cartels, but there’s way more than just them, Steamweedle and Venture Co. It’s just that other cartels have not been featured in the game. They exist as a background thing, and so far no new lore has changed that AFAIK.

This. The reality of faction identity, post-Void Elves and post-Nightborne, is that a clear biological relatedness is no longer a sufficient enough or pointed enough distinction. Instead, discernable cultural and social uniqueness is the key.

VE thematically rely upon the Void, dress accordingly, and behave in a way more befitting an Alliance-aligned faction.

BE’s thematically rely upon the Light, dress accordingly, and behave in a way more fitting of a Horde-aligned faction.

Edit: Which is to say, the Horde isn’t the faction for all Thalassians, but for a very specific subset of Thalassians; likewise, the Alliance isn’t the faction for all “biological Kaldorei”, but for a very specific subset of “biological Kaldorei”.

This same rationale would’ve worked for, say, Dark Iron Dwaves that aligned with the Horde. Their narrative just went another direction.

1 Like

lol I had not seen this!
:joy_cat:

I should probably say fraction rather then small fraction. But there are many cartels and Bilgewater is just one of them.

So the majority of the Goblin race is neutral. Yet one specific group was made playable.

Also, to those obsessing over Ion saying ‘no’

This is him stating that Zandalari Trolls aren’t getting Dino forms outside of travel form.

I could do the same thing about them not getting Paladins because Razan is dead.

Things change. But something like a race requires a lot more work and they likely already planned all their races in advance. So it’s not likely to happen at the snap of a finger.

4 Likes

If you want a High Elf, The Horde is waiting for you.

4 Likes

Difference is that the Zandalari haven’t been introduced into the game yet, so they have the luxury to tweak whatever they like for it’s release, void elves have already been released, his answer was their reasoning, their final answer to why they choose a different route from High Elves. It wasn’t like he just said no either, he showed it was something he was personally against just from his attitude alone in regards to it. That ship has sailed, ventured out to the middle of the sea, and sank to the ocean floor.

And changing a small thematic to Zandalari Druids hardly compares to the controversial High elf proposition. It’s like saying because he decided to wear his gray and black sweatshirt to the Q&A instead of his blue shirt, it’s proof that he’ll change his mind about high elves. One decision requires very little work, and the other requires a large amount. And it’s not even like he was being objective about the High elves either, he outright protested it, he even went as far as to mock the Alliance by suggesting they join the Horde. And to add insult to injury even suggested giving Blood Elves blue eyes at the very end.

But hey, if this gives you hope, have at it.

2 Likes

Blizzard says a lot of things, they are not the word of got set in stone though. They can always change their minds. Maybe they’ll do the wild high elf look like alleria has? I think making void elves have highelf style is the better solution, but it’s not like I can tell a void elf and a BE shadow priest apart anyways.

3 Likes

If you want a Night Elf, the Alliance is waiting for you.

Oh wait, Horde gets everything but Alliance has to settle. I totally forgot!

16 Likes

Uhhh, ok? I don’t even understand.

1 Like

But what if you want a High Elf that never left the alliance and joined the Horde? That seems to be a pretty common request and reason of why people want an specific group of High Elves.

Do you understand why it is a different fantasy and background?

12 Likes

No, because if I wanted a Helf I would go Horde because it’s already there.

Okay, lemme go slower.

What if you want the fantasy of a High Elf that never left the Alliance, and never joined the Horde. Can you play that?

You must understand this, people that want High Elves do so… for other reasons than you might, specifically in this case, because of their stalwart permanence on the alliance.

So for whatever reason you, Theon, would play an elf, it’s patently not the same reason other people want High Elves -which again in case is not clear, is because they have been loyal members of the alliance since the second war, and cohabitants with humans for the las 3k years in Dalaran, even in spite their King’s wishes after the war-.

Do you understand now?

8 Likes

He’s saying there are more types of high elves around the game world than blood elves. If people want to play blood elves that’s fine, but people are asking to play the high elves that didn’t choose to become blood elves that have been in the Alliance for a very long time.

Why now? Because it wasn’t possible before because what was considered a race before the implementation of “Allied Races” was much stricter.

3 Likes

No. If i wanted to be silver covanenet I would just rp one.

I mean, yeah, you could. But you can also roleplay being a dragon. This doesn’t change the fact that there are also people who don’t rp.

1 Like

That isn’t my problem.