The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

His commentary here is always just… good for a laugh :joy:

4 Likes

Frankly I want them to exploit that Human heritage and have playable High Elves basically have options to be part-Human. You should be able to get the default “High Elf” look but I want them to focus on making their faces less angular and giving them more “human” features like thicker facial hair.

That would honestly be a great way to build up on that Alliance integration and separate them from the Blood Elf fantasy even more.

5 Likes

How many years of cross breeding are we talking here? It can’t have been that long.

The whole eye thing you say is true. It just boils down to what magical energies your typical Thalassian elf is consuming and which magic is more…let’s say, dominant. In the Sunwell’s case wouldn’t it be the Light? I know it has Arcane. But Fel was more prevalant than Arcane before the cleansing and Blizz seems really keen on making Light the flip side of the Void coin after some recent reveals in the lore.

Even if the Sin’dorei were given Blue Eyes for whatever reason it still wouldn’t change the demand for Quel’dorei to be on the Alliance.

“We must put this misery behind us. We must enter a new chapter! And so I say to you that, as of this day, we are no longer high elves! In honor of the blood that was shed throughout this kingdom, in honor of the sacrifices of our brothers and sisters, our parents, and our children, in honor of Anasterian… as of this day we will take the name of our royal lineage! As of this day, we are sin’dorei! For Quel’Thalas! Hail to the sin’dorei!”
– Kael’thas Sunstrider, Blood of the Highborne

If the last true heir to the throne of Quel’thalas says they are no longer high elves, they are no longer high elves, except the ones who refused to follow his command.

And if you still question this, get one, just one, quote from the game, in all of its history, in which a blood elf call himself or his people “high elves” in the present or future sense.

14 Likes

Just because the name changed does not mean that the Blood Elves are not the true, to this day, descendents of the High Elves. They are of the society that was under the last true Prince of Quel’thalas. He himself re-named the High Elves to Blood Elves. To say that in that regard Blood Elves are not High Elves is ignorant to the fact that the only thing that changed is their freaking name. Ignorance.

3 Likes

The name means nothing. Keep the name High Elves. I doubt people care as long as they are the same people.

Call them Silver Elves if the term “high elf” means so much to you even when BE haven’t used it for over 14 years.

Until you recognize the disassociation, this conversation is pointless.

1 Like

If you could walk up to Kael’thas now and say, “Hey, you’re actually still a high elf,” he would probably kill you.

2 Likes

Being descendents of the high elves does not make them high elves. They refused their past and embranced change. They did things their past society considered taboo.

From the quest Descendents of the high elves , in Winterspring:

Long after my death, my people would suffer an even greater mistake. The High Elves relied on the Sunwell and its glory. Never imagining a world without it, we would never make preparations to deal with such a fate.

Later, when the Sunwell fell to the forces of the undead, what was left of my descendants would be lost and helpless… and the path they would take in response would change them forever.

The Sin’dorei, still striving for redemption, would return here as well…

This above quote is from the quel’dorei spirit. And then comes the follow-up text from the sin’dorei spirit:

We were not naive, as our forefathers were. We were suspicious and cunning and ready for betrayal at every turn.

Yet our pride and greed drove us to ruin once more. How many more will be lost to Kel’theril?

The game itself aknowledge that high and blood elves are different. In more than one quest, in several places, in the game files, over the years. Stop being so stubborn.

High elves are not blood elves.

5 Likes

I’d gladly die to Kael’thas if it means he’s alive and well, rather than rotting away in the annals of “most wasted plotlines in Warcraft 3”.

Blood Elf lore really took a dump after he died.

1 Like

Oh I agree, but that’s what I don’t get. The Blood Elves hate the High Elves don’t they? Yeah, they’re technically the same race, but with entirely different values and beliefs. It’s like saying evangelical christians are the exact same as atheists because they’re both human. So why on earth do people insist that they are the exact same?

I’d say the blood elves want to bring back the high elves into their fold, and vice-versa, but both groups hate each other’s “traitorous” leadership and will only accept the other group once it renounces to what makes them different.

1 Like

Potentially. Like I personally agree and all that is the perfect way to explain differentiation, but it is still interpretation. There is something distinct about Dalarani culture that would make the HE’s belonging to them unique, but I wouldn’t even be surprised if Blizz one day was like all “Oh no the SC is just a bunch of disgruntled exiled by Lor’ elves”

Quoted For Truth. hehe, I bet if they added High elves that didn’t look like today’s Vereesa, it wouldn’t change the demand for Quel’dorei to be on the Alliance.

Oh that could be a fun project! I had done a fu manchu on earlier edits, but It would be fun going for an old face!

Thank you boo!

2 Likes

Here’s the thing: “High Elves” aren’t any truer than Blood Elves. Both groups are changed, no matter what the other thinks. “High Elves” are nothing but assimilated exiles holding to a name that really doesn’t represents them anymore.

Like, duh, the main portion of the race changed their name, that’s why we call them blood elves. By sheer numbers alone they are the MAIN continuiation of the HE history.

That doesn’t mean that the current HE’s aren’t a BRANCH of said history, That’s the whole point. Call them Traitor Elves if semantics trip you so much.

Who is really arguing here for either group being the “True” legacy of the High Elves when that has never been the point?

The point is that they HAVE TWO PATHS.

And personally for all that matters? Yeah, Blood Elves are the main tangent here. But that doesn’t make HE’s not a tangent of their own.

7 Likes

But I think that is important to accept that Blood Elves are still the Main branch of Thalassians, just gone through a cultural shift.

And we what we call “High Elves” now is as much as pale reflection of what High Elves were.

Who is the truer desendant? It’s irrelevant, since the whole point is that the Third War changes Thalassian culture on a profound manner. Some adapted to survive, other’s stuck to some hard morals/loyalties to preserve some aspects of their identity, but in doing so they left much behind, if not more.

Two paths, both which lead to change, both that would make the other say “No you are the traitor” that’s the point.

But by numbers alone, BE’s indeed are the main branch continuation of the Quel’dorei history, the current HE’s are the split. But that doesn’t make them any less present or valid.

8 Likes

Then we have races like Goblins where the majority of the Race is neutral and only a small fraction joined one of the factions.

7 Likes

A-are you “RevertMercy” from the Overwatch forums? Genuinely curious ._.

I feel like I’m getting flashbacks lol

A fair point that opens the door to picking a single High elf faction, let’s presume it would be the Silver Covenant, and counters the point there is not as of yet a single High elf entity.

So, the only thing for an anti-HE for Alliance guy like me to cling to is the blurred faction identity - as I explained earlier with pictures.

Wasn’t trying to be nice to that donkey.