The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

That Technomage sounds pretty sweet!

I’m pretty sure as long as they put a World Editor like they did the original Warcraft III the modding community will be fine… heck there will be modders even if they don’t!

2 Likes

Urgh don’t remind me, IT WAS RIGHT THERE! Alleria gathering with her long lost Rangers? That would have been Iconic.

In my perfect scenario, we would have learned that most of them had joined the Silver Covenant already, to protect Vereesa out of Loyalty to Alleria, and they would have soon joined her on her search for Umbric.

It would have been just about adding them in 7.3 helping Alleria during her journey, getting build up as characters, then when we go save Umbric they come with us, get voided too, and we end up with NPC’s we actually interacted with.

13 Likes

That would be a huge improvement imo!

4 Likes

Ah here you are, so fitting :3

1 Like

I don’t see why someone can’t want High Elves and still like Void Elves for their own theme. They very clearly have their own fantasy and flavor that separate them from High Elves, but that does not mean that High Elves have nothing to bring because Void Elves exist now.

More specifically, Void Elves are the iconic shadow caster Alliance race, but I still see High Elves as being a stronger fit for Paladins, Hunters, and Mages because we are shown time and again that they are represented by these classes.

And yes, my want for them stems from not wanting Void Elves to be treated as a High Elf compromise, because that is a disgusting simplification of the potential they bring, but it also stems from empathy for what would make other people happy. I think it would help a lot more if there was less disdain for Void Elves, but I also know that will go away more quickly if Blizzard just listened to what people want like they openly said they are wanting to do.

10 Likes

I was rereading Traycor’s old concept art for high elves in the MMO-Champion quarantine thread. Before, we could not link direct images, so I think most people here hadn’t seen it. I’m not a big fan of hairstyles (but I do like the dual color hair ideas), but everything else is awesome.

If anyone wants to check the original thread:

21 Likes

I’m always here! My heart lies with the Silver Covenant! :blue_heart:

11 Likes

The second hairstyle in the third image that seems to be used again in the other images, the short crewcut one, that’s a really good short hairstyle. I tend to prefer those more than longer hair depending on the character concept, and it’s nice to see attempts to show that elves don’t have to look like Legolas.

But I also do quite dig the 80’s hair-dos, funny enough. They look like they came straight out of a He-Man, Thunder Cats, or She-Ra cartoon, and that’s honestly actually cool to me. It’s a cool aesthetic, lol.

I sometimes think Warcraft takes a lot of inspiration from that as a setting, because the 80’s and 90’s were a pretty “metal” era.

3 Likes

dang. i hope blizzard uses some of these for blood elves when they go back and add new customization for the core races. i hope it goes beyond just eye customization

I’m not a big fan of 80’s hair, but a few of the hair styles are cool. There are around 4 I’d use as Alamara (more than there are void elf styles that I like), but none of them is particularly interesting for me.

3 Likes

I had few problems with their Hairstyles. Feels kind of not really Quel’doreiish.

2 Likes

I definitely think there should be a more evenhanded mix of wild and civilized hairstyles, because I don’t think the former would really fit the Mage aspect of the race.

But man, I would definitely go for that crewcut if I was making a Warrior or Hunter, perhaps to move away from the Legolas stereotype. And also favor Survival spear-fighting over bows to further divvy the trope up a bit more. (Not that I think wanting to play Legolas is a bad reason at all, however.)

EDIT: On another note, I am curious if they had ever made mock-ups of acceptable hair colors for High Elves. I kind of like Void Elves since they can have something close to red hair, even though it’s a purplish-pink, but I would actually like some variant of red hair for High Elves too.

1 Like

i take back what i said. these are too wild for me. they look like vikings

:unamused:

The metal is too strong for you.

2 Likes

I want to give this post all the upvotes.

I definitely dig the the top knot hairstyle for the ladies.

2 Likes

the responses from the mmo thread are funny

1 Like

Just quickly, but I do want to just mention that asymmetrical body tattoos aren’t currently possible with the way models are currently texture mapped. (It’s the same issue as the Tabards in that there’s only half the texture, and the other side of the body just uses a flipped map of it.)

However, asymmetrical face tattoos are possible.

4 Likes

Yeah, that could still work. WC2 Elves had asymmetric facial tattoos

1 Like

Wow, reading a lot of pent up aggression here from people that don’t want alliance high elves. (A faction that already exists but just isn’t playable)

Why are they SO invested in preventing people from playing something that already exists in the game? That’s like people who wanted zandalari prelates to not be playable even though they already existed in game. I just wish they got a new class, but pally is still good!

13 Likes

because they are bland and uninteresting in an mmo already bloated with them. theres only a few of them left anyway at most. they dont bring anything new to the game either

high elves are now blood elves. the alliance elves share the exact same lore. we already know their history and they wouldnt bring any new classes or a compelling new narrative for the alliance

there are way more popular possible AR candidates as well, like the jinyu for example