The Toxic Parse Culture is Ruining WOTLK

Have you tried getting good?

its really not hard to parse, you literally dont even need to try…

Use raid consumes and do your rotation and cooldowns right, you will parse, its pretty simple.

Here is a simple guide that shows you all you need to know, even you can do it Frosstfire…

2 Likes

No one, I just like calling out obvious liars and parse nerds because they are so cringe.

1 Like

Arnt you that cringe lord that went to someone’s guild and talked to their GM?

4 Likes

Yup he went to mine rofl.

Do you think they realise they are the things they complain about others or completely oblivious?

1 Like

how do i parse higher frostfire pls help

1 Like

Hes oblivious.

Yeah it was fun.

You don’t, you give up parsing and become a normal human being.

So the main reason you hate parsing is because everyone calls you bad for your green parses? Lol

1 Like

Fixed.

2 Likes

I love looking at my parses, but I would agree that people who flaunt their parses can get annoying. You should understand though, for some people (like myself), I love parsing because it adds a sort of competition amongst my peers. For me, it is fun to try to parse as high as I can to see how I rank against other rets.

1 Like

I personally hate parsing culture, but that doesn’t mean other people aren’t allowed to enjoy it. Our guild has the policy that people can log and check their parses for their own purposes if they want (to better themselves), but they aren’t allowed to bring it up in guild chat or use it as a reason to be crappy to others.

As long as we are killing bosses and clearing raids in a reasonable timeframe, we don’t give af about parses, and our officer core sticks by this.

And, shocker, because we don’t care about parsing, it literally doesn’t affect our Wrath experience at all.

2 Likes

Back in actual Wrath, it was “link Gearscore and cheeve” ruining everything.

This is fine as long as that is all it is, a friendly competition between your peers. But what parsing has become in the broader sense, is a gatekeeping tool.

NOTHING in Wrath requires 90+ parses? All of the content is achievable by most players, that is why Wrath was as popular as it was, because most players were able to experience and complete the end-game content without having to grind out gear for weeks or beat their heads against a DPS check wall.

Anyone, and I do mean ANYONE who requires high parses to join a raid in Wrath is just being a try hard for no other reason than to act superior to others.

None of the content, including ICC is difficult and parses are useless, as anyone in reasonable gear can complete the content. As a community we should really just boycott any raid teams that insist on a parse performance to join a raid.

People are entitled to form their own groups using any metric they deem worthy. Necessary or not their are looking for like minded individuals. In all honesty that’s what guilds should be comprised of. They should all want the same things and if they want to form groups out of 90+ parsers there is nothing wrong with that at all.

The beauty of this game is we can all enjoy it differently and it’s all ok. You can try to boycott them and they won’t care because they aren’t looking for that mentality anyways

Wow this thread is still going on? Wild.

Anyway for something on topic- I don’t give a fart in a windstorm if people want to chase parses or not. If they do, good for them. If not, also good.

But it is a self perpetuating problem. Every time a few groups start wanting you to parse a certain amount to enter their raid, it propagates and next thing you know, the majority of groups are now wanting it too.

Then it becomes a barrier for entry and newer players who do not stack up yet are left out in the cold. Stuck in a chicken and egg situation. They want to join the raid, but they need to parse a certain amount, but to improve to parse they need to run the instance to get the gear. They get locked in this circular trap. Unable to improve because the gear they need to improve is locked behind a artificial gate put up by the players.

1 Like

It’s a self solving problem

If the idea is wanted and popular the group will thrive. If it’s not and people side with your thoughts it will fold and die.

Again if they want to make it their barrier for entrance that is theirs to do with as they please. If the barrier for entrance is truly as difficult as you think then these guilds will either adjust their standards or crumble as their need for new members comes. But to outright say boycott them is purely ignorance. If you’re willing to boycott it then they weren’t looking for you to begin with. It will do nothing. And I think the parse culture is much much bigger than you know of you think boycotting will work. It became popular for a reason.

The solution to what you want is just find a group with a mindset like yours. What you want is perfectly acceptable. I am not big into something like speed running so I would never join that type of guild. But I’d also never advocate to boycott it

Because it strokes peoples egos to feel superior. It has nothing to do with being able to clear the content and everything to do with bragging rights. It is the new measuring stick.

Parsing was NEVER meant to be a wide spread gatekeeping tool, it was meant to help the top performers ( the top 5% of players and guilds) work on refining their teams so they can compete for world firsts and world time records. 95% of the players do not even need it and using it is like sticking a jet engine on a Yugo and driving it in a school district, it is gross overkill.

2 Likes

Because it’s a exceptional tool. That’s why it became popular. Many tools grow beyond their intended use. It’s perfectly ok. And like any tool in the right hands it’s amazing. It can be used to evaluate, correct misplays and grow. In the wrong hands it can be used negatively. But to advocate to boycott the tool for the weilders actions is a foolish.

Really the content being so easy make me feel parsing is even MORE important to the health of the game. It gives players something to strive for beyond the content they’re tearing through. It breathes replay-ability into the game. That’s what the tool is to me. To try and out do myself each week. To see when I fell short, how to improve, to grow.

Whether or not they need it is moot. They want it, and in a game built purely for entertainment it fills that role for some. To me it’s perfectly acceptable for people to play the game the way they enjoy, and if they can find groups that agree and they want to enjoy the game together that way then who am I to say it’s wrong?

1 Like