The tank shortage is getting out of hand

I will play tank more often and try to be a good tank. the fear in my heart is that tank is considered to be blame for failures or wipes in a group. I am afraid of being criticized by my group members so I usually don’t play tank in challenging contents. But your thread let me know that we need to face our fear directly.

Probably because these dungeons are miserable and very overtuned…just like everyone was seeing and saying in beta. Worst season 1 to an expansion yet, hopefully fixed before it becomes a dead season.

When you make the tanking role harder, it means more mediocre tanks will be pushed down to being bad tanks and thus be abused by rude pugs.

It’s only going to get worse too.

I’d guess male human paladin.

I won’t be doing any tanking besides leveling this expansion. There’s stuff like gold farming to do.

y’all give me and my healer performance anxiety

THIS RIGHT HERE Is a prime example of why I rarely tank for pugs anymore. Who the heck elected you group leader to determine if someone is pulling enough or not? Cause I know I certainly didn’t vote for you. If that tank isn’t pulling to your pace did you maybe stop to think they’re new to tanking and trying to get their bearings before you decided to pull half the room? I’ve seen countless people like yourself who whine that the tank isn’t doing enough then you decide to “speed things up” and cause a wipe, then whine that the tank is bad when you’re overstepping your role in the group. As a tank, you’re the exact kind of player I loathe to run into.

Instead of pulling for the tank did you stop to say “hey dude we can handle larger pulls”. If I’m tanking a run and the group feels like they can do more, and I believe I can hold it, then I have no issues going faster. If you want to pull everything for people, then congratulations you just became the new tank. I can swap from blood to frost and we can roll.

7 Likes

Pretty much this. I have a prot paladin ready to go, but I don’t feel like putting up with the toxic idiots that up my stress level. I play the game to be stress free.

4 Likes

Yep. If I am pulling a smaller group, it might be because I’m waiting for my cool downs to come back up. But do the healers or dps care? No. They pull and just expect you to deal with it.

Pugs are truly awful. Before the nerfs tanks might have the tools to deal with it. Now we don’t because blizz wanted healers to get more involved.

So the healers and dps can enjoy looking for an hour.

4 Likes

Tanks are not and will never be a shortage role in content that actually matters (which is not baby low keys and queue content). In fact, there is actually a glut ESPECIALLY when it comes to raiding the higher up in the content progression ladder you go.

For decent tanks, you have to go out of your way not to form a network of competent people as you play and the more people you add, the less likely it is you’re ever stuck pugging and even when you do, it may just be a single slot and you can be super picky with the spec and quality of player you want.

Plus a good many of you even in this thread can solve your own problem. DPS gear IS tank gear outside of like caster weapons and pure intellect/caster trinkets. Even when tanking, you always have the option to set your loot spec to your DPS role to get gear you want. Tanking is a stupid easy role to mechanically execute…EPSECIALLY when it comes to raids. Sure it is harder in keys, but again, get above babymode levels and you’ll find people know routes, strats, and aren’t nearly as dumb or incompetent making the “leader” role far less intimidating and scary…assuming, of course, you are competent yourself.

3 Likes

DPS need only to look in the mirror for the cause of any tank / healer shortage they may run into.

When DPS decide to pull / stand in bad / refuse to interrupt or do mechanics… that causes unneeded stress on tanks and healers all because DPS want to tunnel vision their DPS meters.

Good DPS get added to tank’s friends lists and don’t sit in queue all day long. If you don’t have tank friends, you are probably part of the bad DPS group who get to wait 20 min for a newbie tank to queue or get lucky and join a half formed group who just need a body.

5 Likes

It’s just that no one wants to roll a tank because if they aren’t perfect, it’s a stressful experience.

1 Like

I’ve been TRYING TO get a regular m+ group together and it’s just not working.

Guilds got it’s clique groups and I’m not in it. :confused:

And I play tank AND healer.

There should be massive rewards for filling the tank role.

Not those measley bags from LFG, im talking thousands of gold / high value materials.

Until they make it worth my while, ill just tank for friends.

Random tank rewards used to be higher.

DPS players complained about tanks getting rewards they weren’t getting, and demanded that the satchel rewards be reduced.

I wish I was joking.

5 Likes

Who elected you? I didn’t elect you. The group works as a whole, not as a tank dictatorship. Do your job or move along.

Communicate with your group then. Communicate to them that you are learning. Communication goes a long way.

I’ve seen countless “tanks” who can’t tank.

Like you’re doing now?

There’s a reason you’re a LFR pug tank and not on a dedicated team or group.

1 Like

Here’s the solution: make 5 mans not need tanks.

If tanks need to be immortal to have fun, grant that immortality to everyone else.

But don’t need healers for immortal people, 5 dps comp, let’s go.

I made a bad call and killed a +6 key, not one person batted an eye. I was quick to apologize and we moved on. Pugs are only hostile if you get defensive and try to off load blame.

This is the main reason I didn’t bother playing DF Season 3. After my 3rd key of the season, I felt how easy it was going to be running +17/18 in full S2 gear. I personally don’t enjoy it when I’m immortal. The fun comes from managing defensives and utilities out of necessity not for giggles.

2 Likes

I can understand that. Despite getting close to 3K multiple seasons in a row I still have imposter syndrome. I just tried a +4 dawn breaker and it went horribly wrong (not just my mistakes but mistakes made by everyone) and I was feeling horrible about it. It kind of took the winds out of my sail for tanking so to speak but when I checked IO to see if other bears were able to do it (they were but these are the same guys doing +9 Ara-Kara) I found out I was in the top 10 on my server.

I seem to go through this every season where I think I am doing extremely poorly and yet my perception doesn’t match reality. I personally think its better to have this than the opposing side where we think we are amazing and can do no wrong as that leads to a tank that will never grow.

Also as far as group criticizing the first two to three weeks of a season and particularly an expansion are great as everyone is still learning and criticism is usually kept to a minimum. Although many suggestions may be made.

3 Likes

get rid of tanks and healers…all DPS…then no one is waiting for anything and the game can finally be tuned better

i got a few of these bags during different times the last week playing as a tank and there is crap in those bags. I thought there would be random mounts or some kind of upgrade but the items are just a joke

plus as a tank, all my plate or leather (i have 2 tanks a dk and a demon hunter) always seem to go to the dps. Giant upgrades to allow me to tank better going to a dps… that just is frustrating, im not saying they didnt deserve the loot since they were part of the team but i have zero incentive to tank for pugs since i get crap out of it and always get the blame if the healer goes off and starts pulling or some random hunter pulls 20 things and wonders why they died

honestly not even sure why i picked tank, its very stressful.

But when im doing a solo delv, its peaceful and relaxing to go out my own slow pace and not feel rushed but in a party it just feels like a lot of pressure to not only screw up but cover for the other members on the team that screw up.

1 Like